PEAX Equipment

eberlestock X1A1 backpack... feedback

pointingdogsrule

I'm looking at the X1A1 backpack. I will use it mostly for bow and some rifle. Anyone out there that has one and would like to give feedback. Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

I have one and use it very little. The only time is maybe as a daypack when hunting around home. It is too small for hunting out west in my opinion. The scabard holds the rifle too high when hunting in timber. It is not a bad pack but I believe there are alot better packs that hold more things that are comparable size. I have not used it to carry my bow; so I cannot comment on that feature.

I have used mine for everything from warm weather overnighters to some way to carry my bow while I made belly-crawl stalks on antelope.
My only complaint would be that it is heavy for its size, but every component that adds weight either increases versatility or durability so I don't think there is anything they could change to do better.

I use a eberlestock x1, same model, seems to work pretty well. Has plenty of room for day trips, I carry an extra jacket, lunch, water, first aid kit, camera, game bags, knife, saw and rope with room to spare. I like the scabbard, but I don't use the quick release retention strap. My Rem. 700 w/ Leupold 4.5-14 CDS fits snugly into the scabbard. It feels kind of awkward trying to draw the rifle at first but in the heat of the moment it works really well. That being said, I usually don't carry the rifle in the scabbard during shooting light. I have only packed a half an antelope in it, i think an elk quarter would be a tight fit. I always keep an external frame meat hauler in the truck. This will be my fourth season with it and I'd buy another. PM me if you have any specific questions.

IT depends on what is the intened use. For long day trips I think this is a great pack. More than enogh space for lunch, rain gear, game bags, camera etc. For a backpack trip it's too small. Probably not good for heavy timber or thick brush. I like the ability to carry my gun in the scappard as it allows me to use trekking poles in both hands. As I get older, balance and firm footing is more important than the ability to jump shoot an animal that busts out of the brush. Most of what I do here in spot and stalk, the gun can stay secured unitl I see game. Not a big weight hauler. I did carry a muley hindquarter and tenderloins out last year. The next day I used a Cabelas Alaskan external frame for the heavy stuff. My .02.

Back