MR Longbow???

Baerman

Considering picking up this bag but have a few questions.

1) Can the bag and load sling be used together with the Nice frame? Looking at the videos on MR's website I would say no becuase the sling requires the use of the same buckles as the pack. Is there a need for the load sling with the pack or is the load sling for people day hunting from a vehicle or home?

2) Can this pack be used for a lightweight 3 day bivy hunt with the right backpacking gear and reasonably pack out a boned out animal?

3) Preferred color?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Aron Snyder did a review of the Longbow on bowsite i believe. Before you spend the money go look at the T3 that Kifaru just came out with. Pretty much the same cui.

I packed out an entire deer, head, camera, spotter, tripod, rifle, some food and extra clothes a couple weeks ago with my Longbow. If I was to pack in a camp and still get critter out, I would go with the CC. Not saying it can't be done with the LB, but that is my limited experience with the two packs.

Here is a Longbow from 2 weeks ago with 2 front quarters from a bull, 2 backstraps, 2 tenderloins, and miscellaneous day pack items.

photo3-1.jpg

Here is an antelope coming out in a Longbow, along with the daypack items....

attachment.php

The load sling attaches to the Nice frame mid cross bar. None of the bags use those 2 buckles. The Longbow is designed to have the animal placed between the bag and frame as shown above, so the load sling would provide a platform for your animal. The problem will be the side buckles. You might need to make some short "dbl buckle" straps so you can click in the sling as well as the pack bag side buckles.

Last edited:
I have the longbow and have yet to pack anything out with it. So I am curious about how Jose got the meat between the bag and the frame. To me it looked like you have to "unhook" or lift the bag corners off the the nice frame then loosen the side straps to allow the bag to separate from the frame. Am I thinking correctly? Basically you're sandwiching the load between the bag and frame?
I like it better than my CC for the fact that my gear is better protected from the elements being zipped up inside. It also has more pockets than the crew cab which I like a lot. The CC can't be beat though for load hauling. I kinda like the having both to pick from:D Like choosing between ice cream or ice cream :D

Thanks gents! It is a smaller bag than most however it has a lot of options for strapping gear and game to the outside of the bag.

JC - love the hats! Great action shots.

Wapiti - great suggestion on the buckle. I'll ask MR if they feel it's even needed. After hearing of Millers load and seeing JC's loads I'm thinking there is no need for the sling with the bag.

Lawnboy - I think you are correct. There are some good action shots on MR's web page that might show you exactly how it works. I'll have to look at that again. I'll eventually get both flavored of ice cream but for now I'm thinking the longbow is a great start.

I have a Longbow and packed out a mule deer and a bull elk with mine this year. I don't think there is a need for the sling. I have done 2-3 day hunts with mine but I'm thinking that for longer hunts i'm gonna pick up a 6500(or a horse). I played around with putting the load between the frame and the pack but found I like it better just putting the load inside the pack itself and lashing everything down. This load was the last one, a front quarter and the head. I love my Longbow.

Attachments

• 10-1-2011 017.JPG
    10-1-2011 017.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 1,790
I really like my Longbow and use it when hunting for myself. I've been using my crew cab when helping others and hopeful that I'll be packing something out.

Here is a picture of my longbow loaded up with a bag of salt during preseason training. I ordered some 'Longbow straps' from MR to go over the top. I haven't packed quarters by using it this way yet, but hope to someday soon!
P1030139.JPG

Here is a picture of the head and horns from my bull I packed out this September. I had mules come up and get the rest of it the next day.
P1030586_EXP_CR.jpg

Really like my MR longbow and crew cab packs. Will hopefully be hauling meat this weekend on my buddy's rifle bull hunt.

Ron

I'm liking these packs more and more. I'm selling my Bivy 45 now as it just can't handle weight. So here's my question.

AZ Ron - Which pack is the most versatile when considering four or five day bivys and still having to take out meat (deer/elk)?

Thanks man.

I'm liking these packs more and more. I'm selling my Bivy 45 now as it just can't handle weight. So here's my question.

Funny, I'm selling my Bivy 30 for the same reason. This brings up another question, I see AZ Ron got the pack in Optifade. Does anyone know if this fabric holds up as well as the other fabrics that MR uses? I love my Sitka clothing but using that material on a pack does not seem as durable.

AZ Ron - Which pack is the most versatile when considering four or five day bivys and still having to take out meat (deer/elk)?

For doing 4-5 day bivys I'd say a 6500 would be your best bet. I think the Crew Cab with the daypack lid could do it, but from all my research the 6500 would be better for longer trips. From memory, I don't think the pack weight is that much different between the cc w/ daypack lid and the 6500. Crew Cab is nice because it shrinks down pretty good, but I seem to always have just enough to make it seem pretty big. Crew Cab would be 2nd choice for 4-5 days, and maybe if you are super lightweight you could do 4-5 days in mild temps with the longbow.

I've loaded up my longbow with the necessary gear for a 2-3 day trip (early season/mild temps) and there was enough room although any meat being hauled out would have to be carried similar to how I loaded the bag of salt in the above picture. I put the same gear in the crew cab and there was more room, but it seemed to load better with the daypack lid. I haven't actually done an overnight trip with either pack though.

Ron

Funny, I'm selling my Bivy 30 for the same reason. This brings up another question, I see AZ Ron got the pack in Optifade. Does anyone know if this fabric holds up as well as the other fabrics that MR uses? I love my Sitka clothing but using that material on a pack does not seem as durable.

The MR packs built in the optifade pattern are just as durable as the other packs, just better looking! :D :hump:

The material is the same weight cordura, although I believe gore has a tough time printing optifade on the cordura that MR uses for their packs. From everything I've heard, MR doesn't have a timeline or even know if they're going to be able to get another batch of cordura optifade material that meets their standards. You'd probably want to call them for the latest.

Ron

Copy that AZ Ron, we appreciate the advice for sure. I'd asked MR several times about the pattern issue on their Facbook and the first time they said something similar. They are one of two brands making packs with our pattern so I hope like hell they get it figured out. We need the inside scoop from Seacat or something. Last time I asked about the pattern they kind of avoided the question. That coyote color would be good to I guess.

Many thanks to everyone for your input and help! I've sent an email to Mystery Ranch with a few questions, one being the Optifade pattern. I'll let you know what I find out.

I emailed back and forth with one of the guys at MR and they do have a few Longbows in the Optifade pattern left and a few Nice frames too. They do not anticipate making any more bags with the optifade pattern. With that said I jumped on getting my paws on one of the few bags remaining. I ended up getting the coyote colored frame though, anticipating that I'll get other bags in the future and thought the coyote frame would go well with the optifade pattern and match the other bags as I pick them up. Saved a few bucks going that route as well.

Dreamin - If you want one you best get on it.

Thanks again for everyones input! We'll see if the first animal to catch a ride on it can be a wolf. :D

Back