Shed hunting trip

174in

Hey guys thinking about comming back out west in the spring if I can talk the wife into it to do some shed hunting.It would be great to come home with some elk and mulie sheds but I dont have the slightest clue where to begin.I know there is a winter range in montana that looks like a big party when the fish and game let people in but other than that I know nothing.Would anyone be willing to give me a few spots to check into?If not I understand.Around here is mostly private ground and the deer dont winter on anything I can shed hunt so I have only found a couple antlers and walked alot of miles. Is shed hunting out west easier if I am willing to put in some miles for a few days?

You can still walk a lot of miles in the West and only find a few sheds.

I would think about the Breaks. Its far enough away from population centers and vast enough you might do OK. Fall hunters find sheds there, so they must be around in the spring.

Or you would join the "party" aka state wildlife management areas, Sun River and Clearwater in particular.

I'm not much of a shed hunter, so I can't tell you much more than that. I do know that the serious guys guard their shed ground secrets as tightly as their fall hunting grounds.

I sure as heck wouldn't drive to another state to hunt sheds, but again, I'm not a shed hunter...

Shed hunting is a lot easier if you're able to scout.
I've found almost all my good spots by finding bucks and bulls in the winter glassing from the truck, and then coming back in the spring to look for horns. It might be tough coming from out of state. That said, it's possible to get lucky and land on a great spot... So who knows.

The WMA's are fun if you have the right mindset. You've got to have a sense of humor about it, otherwise you'll just get frustrated with how many people you'll bump in to. If you grind it out all day on the opener though, you'll find some horns. I hunt one of the WMA's in the fall, and pick up horns all the time that get missed in the spring.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back