MT Elk Bone!

thecrittergitter

Well, I finally got my out of shape a$$ out for a couple days to look for some horns. Found half the bulls I saw still packing but still fared out pretty good all in all. Got some good weather to hike in and put the ol Mystery Ranch Crew Cab to a pretty good test. And I found that it can easily carry more weight than I can legitimately carry:D Went for 2.5 days and ended up finding 34 elk bones. Probably won't get to go again this year so tried to make the best of it. I was going to call BS on Wingnut claiming he hiked so far in one weekend but I'm glad I didn't because i'm sure he's in better shape than i am and i did 49 miles on the ol Kennetrek boots! I'm a tired SOB! Here are a few pics from the one outing of the year.....

Attachments

• ATL1.jpg
    ATL1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Pack2.jpg
    Pack2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Pack1.jpg
    Pack1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • ATL6.jpg
    ATL6.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • ATL5.jpg
    ATL5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,128
  • ATL4.jpg
    ATL4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • ATL3.jpg
    ATL3.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,148
  • ATL2.jpg
    ATL2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,199
Have a few more:D

Attachments

• Pack4.jpg
    Pack4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Pack5.jpg
    Pack5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Pack3.jpg
    Pack3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,110
  • ATL12.jpg
    ATL12.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • ATL10.jpg
    ATL10.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,117
  • ATL8.jpg
    ATL8.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • ATL7.jpg
    ATL7.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,120
  • ATL11.jpg
    ATL11.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,119
That is an incredible haul! I'm going to have to hide in the back of your truck when go out next time:D Nice to see that Montana still has big bulls on public as well. Hey are you boots getting better? Any blisters? Awesome picts.

What kind of music are you listening too? I'm thinking I'd like to try and listen to the same stuff if it helps a guy find that many sheds.

Productive week!
Some good looking horns in there.

That is an incredible haul! I'm going to have to hide in the back of your truck when go out next time:D Nice to see that Montana still has big bulls on public as well. Hey are you boots getting better? Any blisters? Awesome picts.

Actually, blister city for me, had duct tape on my heels after the first day. Mainly because my feet turned into pansies over the winter by not getting any hiking in:)

ok so I have to ask since I too almost called BS on the Wingman...how do you track your miles? either I move in slow motion or you guys are running marathons while looking thru binos?

Wow!! If you're only going to get out once, I guess that ought to do. Sorry about the feet. Give these a try http://goengo.com I used to be a Duct tape guy. Now I have some of these in the pack all the time. WAY better.

Okay, I'm officially jealous. I think I picked the wrong job, being a farmer planting keeps me from shed hunting and harvest messes up too much of the hunting season, but great pics and thanks for sharing - at least I got to enjoy a little of MT vicariously.

Great haul, but..........man that looks like easy elk shed country!!

Oak, I wouldn't say its easy, in fact when its wet, its the most miserable walking you can imagine with 10 lb boots:) However, it wasn't too bad. Any country a guy can average over 16 miles per day isn't that difficult. That being said, your motivation stays up when your finding stuff every 30 minutes or so:):D

ok so I have to ask since I too almost called BS on the Wingman...how do you track your miles? either I move in slow motion or you guys are running marathons while looking thru binos?

Like LB said, the GPS will never lie:D when you take off at 8 or 9 am and don't get back till after dark, its a solid 12 hr day of hiking. I don't stop except to sit and glass about 3-4 min each stop. 10 minute lunch is my biggest stop ususally.

Oak, I wouldn't say its easy, in fact when its wet, its the most miserable walking you can imagine with 10 lb boots:) However, it wasn't too bad. Any country a guy can average over 16 miles per day isn't that difficult. That being said, your motivation stays up when your finding stuff every 30 minutes or so:):D
Maybe not easy, but this is what most of my elk shed country looks like. Not going to be averaging 16 miles in this. :rolleyes:

Steep1.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back