Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Before and After - Pronghorn

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
When you return from 24 days of filming and the taxi calls to say your new mount is ready to pick up, I suggest not making a trip to the taxi your first order of business upon returning home. Might be better to listen to all the things that broke while you were away, to take out the trash, tell her how much you missed her, and a lot of other things. Then, you might have the clearance to jump in the truck and speed over to pick up your new mount.

For those of you newly married, or thinking about getting married, let me just pass on that "first hand knowledge" and save you the life long scars that follow when you come in the door, drop your bags, and say, "Honey, I will be back in about an hour. Got a call that my antelope is ready to pick up."

Ouch, can't believe I have been married for 20 years and was dumb enough to do that. I blame it on the insanity of pronghorn fever. Oh well, over time, such scars will heal.....I hope.:eek:

Enough background to that issue. This post might take more pictures than normal. I learned lots about pronghorn with this guy.

First thing I learned is that you never judge and antelope from the front. I already knew that, but this was confirmation.
IMG_4475.JPG

Second thing I learned is that even from the side, they can be deceiving. But usually look good enough to give you some idea that it might be worth a closer look.
IMG_4480.JPG

Third thing I learned is to not entrust your horns to Greenhorn during the official drying period. He will put them on the mantel above the woodstove, and if that doesn't do it, he will tell those cute kids of his to see if they can build a fire and burn those horns off the skull. And if that fails, he will put hose clamps around the bases to prevent any artificial expansion that could cause your buck to be disqualified from the measurement period.

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

Not really Greenhorn's fault. He only took them to the official measuring place, while I was away. I was the idiot who kept them in my dry, and sometimes very warm, shop for about 75 days. The "green to net" shrinkage at the bases was 6/8" on both sides, with no more than 1/8" at any other measurement. A good way to turn a 88" buck into a 86 1/2" buck. Oh well, next time I shoot one that big (which will be never), I will know how to take care of him.

Those are all "AFTER" pics.

My avatar is the "BEFORE" pic.

I am thinking the aerial view would help with judging some pronghorn. Or, at least this one.
IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

A nice pair to draw to. The one on the right officially nets exactly 80", giving me some perspective of what a tank the guy on the left really is.
IMG_4485.JPG

I am thinking he will make a nice addition to the herd. Got four of these things shoulder mounted, and four more euros. And, another euro from last week's Wyoming hunt. I have one more of those hand made walnut pedestals that I am saving for another lunker. Who knows, I may end up selling it for firewood, before I get lucky enough to shoot another really good one.
IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

And, I am embarrassed to say what I paid for these mounts, including the handmade pedestals. The guy does such great work, at such a low price, it is no wonder he is so busy.

Attachments

• IMG_4483.JPG
    IMG_4483.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 756
Those look really nice. Hope I have the problem of one shrinking down to the mid-80's some day. :D

That is one of the best looking mounts that I have seen. I love pedestal mounts! Congrats on a beautiful pronghorn!

Awesome mounts fin. You have a pretty dang big herd of antelope. don't forget about the Euro from the NM archery hunt.

WOW Randy...they all look nice to me...the pedestal mounts look awesome. I bet there are a lot of great stories/memories to go along with them...much more important than the 'scores'
Great job!

BF,

That is an impressive herd!

I am glad to hear you have your priorities in order. :D

I hope the wife at least got a hug before you beat feet to the taxidermist!

What a great buck! He did a nice job on the mount also. Here's an after pic - just picked it up 2 weeks ago..
moose1.jpg

That is one hell of a moose, can't believe he looked that good after migrating all the way down from Alaska/Yukon.....

BF,
You got any pictures of how he finished the back side of those pedestal mounts? You know, the area the "rest" of the antelope attaches?

Holy massive mother!

Awesome goats Big Fin.

Greenhorn, I have the same artwork in my den but seem to be lacking in the critter count. :)

Last edited:
BF,

After looking at the pics again. That thing is truly a beast. The pic from above tells the whole story!! I am not going to allow Upper Deck to send an arrow this weekend until we get in on one like yours. He doesn't know that yet though. Won't he be surprised!!

Greenhorn,

Impressive trophies as well! The moose is unreal, but truth be told I am a mulie junkie. Those two one either side of your moose make me drool!

That buck is unreal. The mount is really nice as well. Who did the work?

That moose looks really good as well. What did ya do with your other one?

Back