Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk Steak....

Wyodeerhunter

Banned
Whats your favorite way to cook elk steaks? Looking to try something new.

Right now I fry them up and then let them simmer for two hours min. covered in stew tomatoes with a can of rotel just to spice things up. After they are simmered for a few hours it will make any bull elk steak tender.

The other way is to fry them up and then simmer them for a couple hours in cream of mushroom soup, with some onions and more mushrooms.

What ways do you guys cook them?

Does anyone bread their steaks? How do you do it if you do?

Warm up grill
Five minutes on one side, three on the other.
Throw on a plate. Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy.

Cut them into thin(ish) strips and marinate them for a couple of days. When ready, heat some olive oil and sorta stir fry them.

Or I just like to pan fry them in butter! :D

1 cup Soy Sauce
1 cup Olive oil
1 tbsp chili oil
1/2 red onion diced
2 oz. shreaded ginger
2 tbsp sugar
2 cloves of crushed garlic

Mix together in a large bowl and marinate the elk steak over night. Cook fast over a hot grill. About 3 minutes on the first side and 1 1/2 minutes on the second side. The steaks should still be pink in the middle when done.

Take the marinade and heat slowly in a shallow skillet while adding a flour and water mixture or corn starch to make a gravy. Serve the steak with white or brown rice with gravy on the rice. Makes an excellent meal and the left overs get better the longer they sit.

Grind bread crumbs

Cut into thin strips

Roll in crumbs

Fry in olive oil

A little sea salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste

Only cook until beads form, then flip and do the same

Over cooking makes them tough

I like using the Season maranade spicesand put some SoySauce on them. Turn with a fork and poke holes in it so the seasoning goes inside. 1-2 hours and then plop it on the Grill. I always grill them. Seems to be great every time. Eat them the first go around though. Trying to warm them up the day after usually has them tough.

Does anyone bread their steaks? How do you do it if you do?

Pound the steak with a meat hammer, or, with a sharp, heavy knife. (Attempting to make it look like "cubed steak" that you buy).

Drag meat in flour, covering both sides until it looks white. (you can add salt and pepper to the flour.)

Dunk the flour covered meat into a couple of scrambled raw eggs...

Then smash the drippy egg covered meat into crushed saltine crackers. Covering both sides.

Fry in hot skillet with vegetable oil in it.

After meat is cooked on both sides, you can make dang good gravy with the stuff in the bottom of the pan.

Pound the steak with a meat hammer, or, with a sharp, heavy knife. (Attempting to make it look like "cubed steak" that you buy).

Drag meat in flour, covering both sides until it looks white. (you can add salt and pepper to the flour.)

Dunk the flour covered meat into a couple of scrambled raw eggs...

Then smash the drippy egg covered meat into crushed saltine crackers. Covering both sides.

Fry in hot skillet with vegetable oil in it.

After meat is cooked on both sides, you can make dang good gravy with the stuff in the bottom of the pan.

Same here...gravy too. Some Grands flaky bisquits & creamed mashed potatoes..can't beat it.

We started leaving the meat in "roasts" rather than cutting into steaks when butchering the critter. It saves time and stores betters. If we want steaks we cut them after it thaws, but we really like taking the "roasts" (which are steak quality) and marinading them then grilling them whole until med-med rare. Good stuff.

If it is a tough old bull (last elk was a corn fed cow) then we crock pot them with water & onion soup mix, along with some vegis.

Put me down as another who prefers game roasts over steaks. Rub them in olive oil and pack on the cajun spice or other seasoning. Grill or broil. Use a meat thermometer.....145 degrees = medium rare. Tastey!

trick to tender elk steak is not to beat the crap out of it or cube-steak it. Those measures are overkill and only needed if you then plan to cook it to death. Just cook low temp (relatively) and slow yet briefly and it works out great on the grill or a pan. But I never do steaks well done so do not have to deal with the toughness problems that creates. Have never 'stewed' a steak for hours--just not needed if you pay close attention and turn the steak real often. When grilling turn early and often so it can not get a chance to toughen.

Favorite?

small roasts or backstraps on the grill, patted down with good quality spices or spice mixes. cajun, Thai, Indian, etc, or just salt pepper, and ground new mexico chile powder, then rubbed with crushed garlic and olive oil. There is a store with a wwebsite that has awesome spice mixes "Savory Spice Shop" Can't go wrong rubbing many of those on your steaks/roats and helps you try something different instead of the same ole same ole.

Also like a variation of what JoseCuervo suggests but not fully 'fried' in oil in also put lots of other spices such as tarragon, basil, or ground ethinic spices of some sort when I want it spiced up more than simple salt/pepper/garlic which is always great. plus make the gravy/sauce by adding in brandy, wine or something that goes with chosen spices. The last part of the cooking I'm sauteeing the steaks in the suace that I'm creating. Cheapo blackberry brandy make a great sauce when mixed with the flour and spice crust, and extra cooking oil.

I used to beat the crap out of the steaks and essentially do them 'chicken-fried' texas style but decided the process overwhelmed the taste of the elk, which I enjoy so quit doing that for the most part.

This week I took 3" backstrap pieces that were each cut almost completely through (butterfly'd) and stuffed with blue cheese, chopped apple, and salt/pepper. Closed back up with toothpics. Sprinkled outside with salt/pepper/garlic and rubbed woth olive oil then grilled. Awesome. Wife's idea for the bleu cheese and apple.

Ok I guess my favorite is whatever last landed on my plate....

My dad used to do the breading thing with either saltines or flour but would cover it with mustard instead of oil/eggs, etc. before dredging in the dry stuff. It was actually pretty tasty. He always used regular mustard but I bet dijoun mustard would work well too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back