Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Quick Wyoming Antelope Hunt

IdahoBugler

Well with my season closing in a few days I figured I had better get up and do some hunting before I could'nt anymore. I made a very bad decision to wait so long and after my son's football game on Saturday I headed up for a quick hunt. Unfortunetly I hit the snow storm smack dab in the middle and narrowly beat two road closures by minutes. The snow was very bad with numerous cars sliding off the roads. The 10 hour trip turned into 14 and I made it to my hunting unit at close to 4:00 in the morning. I took a quick nap and found myself pushing close to 10" of snow the next morning.

Sunday it snowed all day and the cloud cover stayed low so glassing was limited. I was able to see around 150 head that day with a bunch of 68"-72" bucks. The best buck I saw was pushing 75" but with a day and a half left I decided to pass. It cleared late in the day and looked like it was going to be a great day on Monday. I decided that being on the move so much that I would just live out of the truck for a few days. It was a little cramped but no big deal.
P1060528.jpg

P1060531.jpg

P1060532.jpg

I decided to cover some ground and glass as many antelope as I could. I'm totally guessing but I would say I saw around 300-400 antelope that day with about 40% being bucks. I was getting discouraged with the lack of trophy quality so I decided to take my frustrations out on a doe. I had permission to hunt a field that held some goats. Luckily they were there and I made a one shot kill at 400 yards.
P1060473.jpg

With two hours left I decided to head back to a huge flat that held a large group of antelope. When I arrived the first buck I saw looked to be a good one. Definitely the best of the trip so far.

With an evening and a morning hunt left it was a no brainer to go after him. The only problem was he was heading out of the area and was already 1 mile ahead of me. I drove around the little rise and beat feet to try and get in front of him. I made it about a mile and ran into another group of goats. One was a nice buck but had broke off about an 1" of his right horn. I headed on and the new herd of antelope kept alarm barking at me and followed me for close to 1/2 mile. I knew I was getting close and with the other herd barking at me I knew the buck I was after was going to be alert. Sure enough the first buck came over the rise and I noticed him instantly as a buck I named high prong, for obvious reasons. Anyway more followed him as he ran over to the other antelope. I was getting worried as I hadn't seen the ONE yet but new he had to be close by. I kept a close eye on the ridge but for what ever reason I missed the ONE because I looked back at the other lopes and there he was walking up to them. I ranged them at 500 yards and I made a quick low sprint to the goats. I gained about 50 yards and new it was now or never. I leaned over the shooting sticks and touched one off. The herd ran and so did the ONE. He slowed to a walk and I touched another one off. Being by myself it was hard to tell what was going on. I never heard a hit but felt good on both shots. I ran back gathered my gear and started looking over two seperate herds of goats. Nether group had my goat in it so I hurried over to the last spot I had seen him. About 200 yards away I saw him walking away slowly. I ran up another 100 yards and dropped him at 250 yards. It was close to dark and it took me a bit to find him in the flat but when I did I was pretty excited at what I had on the ground.
P1060477.jpg

P1060489.jpg

I know it looks dark but it was light out. My camera sucks when the light is fading fast and will not take a clear photo. So I had to use the flash to get any good ones.
P1060479.jpg

I ended up getting him out the next morning and headed home for the long drive. Here are a couple photo's I took as I was going home.
P1060538.jpg

P1060549.jpg

P1060550.jpg

P1060551.jpg

P1060553.jpg

P1060558.jpg

P1060563.jpg

P1060576.jpg

Very, very cool IB.

Can you really lay down in the backseat of your pickup? I've tried and always end up either reclining a front seat or laying in the bed...

I envy you guy's abilities to pictograph your hunts. Cool stuff IB...looks like the XCR did the job. I want one of those trucks that have the 80" rear matress seats. ;)

Very, very cool IB.

Can you really lay down in the backseat of your pickup? I've tried and always end up either reclining a front seat or laying in the bed...
Not really. I lay down on my side and curl my legs to fit. I was sitting up when I took the photo of my feet. It does suck but easier then setting up a tent each evening.

Holy smokes Bugler. You keep it going this way, and I can't imagine what you will end up shooting on your CO muley hunt.

Let's see if I remember all of this correctly. A P&Y pronghorn in ID. P&Y elk in AZ. B&C pronghorn in WY. ?&? muley in CO.

Helluva a career for most guys, let alone a single season.

Congrats to you. Pretty damn good for a "quick" hunt.

I was just east of you, trying to elk hunt up at 9,000' elevation, and I can attest that the conditions you endured were the worst early October blizzard I have ever been in. Way to stick it out and work it to your advantage.

A very cool buck.

Wow! Thats a big azz buck, congrats. Looks like he's got a really big body on him too. You're having a heck of season.

Very nice!!! Chasing pronghorns in the snow looks like pretty cool!! Congrats on a great buck...

As far as sleeping in the truck, I've done it a few times and though while not horrible, it does really make one want a truck camper...

Great buck, IB. Congrats! Seems weird to be hunting them in the snow, as it's usually so hot you need to worry about the meat.

If you measure him, I'd like to hear the score.

congrats IDB. nice looking goat. can tell you from experience, that the front seats of the dodge, when reclined, are more comfortable than the back seat.;):D

He's a big tall pronghorn, he's fantastic. Neat camp too, that truck. You sure can shoot far, you must have seen him and sized him up with a spotting scope, at least, I can't see that far without one. Congratulations!

He's a big tall pronghorn, he's fantastic. Neat camp too, that truck. You sure can shoot far, you must have seen him and sized him up with a spotting scope, at least, I can't see that far without one. Congratulations!
Not sure if you saw the video but that's the same buck. He's the one I wanted and the one I took. He was easy to pick out from the others through my scope.

Awesome job as always. PS...Clip your toe nails.
It's about that time isn't it. Good thing I was on an easy lope hunt and didn't have to worry about any heavy walking. For my colorado hunt they will be clipped and filed.

Great buck, IB. Congrats! Seems weird to be hunting them in the snow, as it's usually so hot you need to worry about the meat.

If you measure him, I'd like to hear the score.
I put a tape on him last night. 81 6/8" gross, 80 4/8" net. I'm thinking he will shrink and miss the awards book but oh well. He will stay over 80 gross at least.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back