Caribou Gear

BigFin Speaks

Nemont

Commission limits archery hunting in Missouri Breaks
By SUSAN GALLAGHER
Associated Press Writer
February 21, 2008

HELENA — Archery hunting in Montana's Missouri Breaks area, renowned for its trophy elk, will be limited under a regulation adopted Wednesday by state wildlife commissioners acting on an array of hunting regulations.

Missouri Breaks archery hunting of big game was a leading issue as commissioners took up regulations for hunting deer, elk, antelope, moose, sheep, goats, wolves, lions, bears and birds. Action Wednesday followed 44 public meetings, held around the state, at which the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks took comment.

In some of the Breaks hunting districts, archery by Montana residents and nonresidents has been unlimited even though Fish, Wildlife & Parks limits rifle hunting there.

"I know of no other state where I can be guaranteed an archery tag in a trophy elk zone," Vito Quatraro of Bozeman told commissioners when they invited public comment at their meeting Wednesday.
Critics of FWP's move toward restricting archery hunting in the Breaks said in December that rapid restriction would play havoc with plans for guided hunts — plans that outfitters and paying clients make far in advance of going afield — and would cut into trade at motels, restaurants and other small businesses dependent on an influx of Missouri Breaks hunters.

Supporters of archery restrictions said they would ease hunter crowding in the Breaks, establish some fairness with rifle hunting and improve the management of trophy elk.

A complicated formula commissioners adopted Wednesday covers the 2008 and 2009 hunting seasons.

Although the number of elk permits issued this year will be 100 percent of the previous three years' average, the availability of permits for nonresidents could decrease, depending on resident demand, said Jeff Herbert of the state Wildlife Division. In 2009, the total number of permits will be 75 percent of the previous three years' average, Herbert said.

Although archery has not been limited in the past, permits have been required.

The final regulation takes into account some commitments already made between some hunters and outfitters, said Ron Aasheim, an FWP spokesman. Some outfitters already have accepted deposits from hunters with the assumption the archery framework would not change, Aasheim said.

Mac Minard, executive director of the Montana Outfitters and Guides Association, said the regulation adopted Wednesday will have "deleterious effects on numerous businesses." His organization wants FWP to keep the issue of archery regulation open for discussion even as the new regulation takes effect.

"I don't think anybody feels as though this will be the final word on this issue," Commissioner Dan Vermillion said.

Randy Newberg said the Bozeman fish and wildlife group that he represents finds hunter crowding a significant problem. People who build businesses around a public asset such as wildlife should not become disturbed when that asset is managed for the public good, Newberg said.

In 23 hunting districts that are outside the Breaks and lie within the Great Falls and Billings regions, wildlife commissioners left the number of archery elk permits unlimited.

Besides their action that dealt with a variety of wildlife species, commissioners voted to leave the start of hunting seasons unchanged. They also established a two-day youth pheasant season, to run concurrently with the youth waterfowl season.

"We're trying to enhance opportunities and get people to take kids out hunting," Commissioner Victor Workman said

People who build businesses around a public asset such as wildlife should not become disturbed when that asset is managed for the public good, Newberg said.

That line is signature-worthy.

Not quite how it was stated, but after all, when a journalist is scribing notes, do not expect too much accuracy.

I think it was like this, if I read properly from my notes:

"Businesses all have inherent risk. Those who build a business model around a public asset are taking much risk. Probably more risk than they understand. When the owner of that public asset takes measures to manage the public asset, it should come as no surprise that business models built around such public asset will become disrupted. Yet, such business disruption does not releive the trustees of their responsibility to manage this public asset."

I am already hearing from some of my landowner clients. They are pissed about this, but they know I make a clear deliniation between private property as a sacred cow, and public wildlife as an equally sacred cow.

Not the first time my adherence to private property rights has pissed some of them off. If you beleive in private proprety rights, like I do, and you expect those rights to be respected, then you must respect the rights of other property owners/interests, even if it is a public owner and the property interest is wildlife.

For some reason, too many folks (on both sides) think ownership of one of those two items constitutes grounds for ownership/control of both.

I am probably too simplified in my vision. |oo

Kudos to you Randy, well said.
I wonder just how much better the breaks elk hunting will be after a few years of limited archery hunting.

Was the unlimited archery hunting really having that much of an effect on the trophy potential in the breaks?

No, it is the youth cow hunt. Rural area with limited game wardens with dads party hunting with their kids. not too mention drought, it has hurt that area in the last few years pushing elk towards the Malta area never to return. then of course poaching is rampant in the breaks.

I rarely run into hunters in the field. Last year we were the only camp for 5 miles any direction. This is good to keep outfitters from taking advantage the state providing business for them. Wish in my industry the state gave me customers. Then you have companies like Cabelas buying ranch land to turn into rich man hunting grounds, can't wait till they have to tell their out of state buyers they won't be able to guarentee a tag. :D

Not to mention the land owners that double dip by leasing prime elk habitat, not grazing their cattle on it (why not overgraze the state land for our cattle!) and then still drawing from the BMA pool leaving the public a portion of their property that is a field where the elk are only at during the night.

This hurts the DYI the most and the local economies, I guess the Winnett bar will have to raise beer prices!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back