Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sleeping bags

Bambistew

Anyone have an opinion on a North Face Cats Meow 20 degree bag?

I'm thinking I 'need' one. Should I be talked out of it? Any other recomendations? I have a 0degree bag, but its kind of heavy. I'm looking for something in the $150 range thats in the 15-25 degree range.

What about Kelty Light Year bags? They any good?

I just spent a miserable night in Alaska tucked safely into a Light Year sleeping bag. Honestly, I do not know if it could have been below 40 degrees and I froze my ass off. Luckily my brother had his Light Year as well in addition to his new Never Summer, so I double bagged it all week and was ok. Yes, you heard it here first....................I am a double bagger!!!!!!! He looked pretty warm and cozy in his new bag.

I have slept in it in the middle of summer and froze to death, Antelope near Craig Colorado in August. It may be the fact that I got the smaller size and is is stretched out and not lofty around me, but I am not impressed right now.

Make someone a good deal on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys...

I thought I'd be 'tough' and save my money so I ended up just lugging the 'heavy' bag along for the trip. I know for a fact that next time I'll be getting a lighter bag. :D 5.5-6 pounds is to much bag for early season hunts. Thats the down side to the Wiggly's too, not to mention the $350-400 price tag.

Bambistew it looks like we are neighbors. I am living in MD at the moment. On the wiggy's I only paid $160.00 for mine through Cabela's.

really... I'll have to check them out. Are they light weight ones or the 'truck' model?

Where in MD are you? In in Balto city...

cat's meow isn't a good fall/winter bag--I have one and it's relegated to the kid's using if for sleepovers---I have the wiggy's ulitmate thule and it's awesome--heavier than I'd like but I've never been cold in that bag, so I'll put up with the weight---chris

Bambiistew.. Here's the site www.wiggys.com plus they are having a 20% off sale at the moment till Sept 30th. I'm down in Montgomery county. JB is up your way aslo. We'll have to get together sometime.

Bambiistew.. Here's the site www.wiggys.com plus they are having a 20% off sale at the moment till Sept 30th. I'm down in Montgomery county. JB is up your way aslo. We'll have to get together sometime.

Ridge Runner said:

...a wiggy's superlight at net 140 is a good price RR...thanks for the link.

Your welcome.. I have heard mixed reviews about them but more good than bad and I am very happy with mine for what it's worth;)

I forgot to add I have the FTRSS bag for my Ultima Thule, which makes it weigh what it does, but I figure I can always unzip it if I get cold...chris

Chris.. I was thinking of getting the FTRSS and use it for a summer bag on its own would it be feasable like that? Then have it for the outer bag to double up with if it gets chilly willy.

Wiggly is the only way to go. Having spent the last 2 falls and part of the winter sleeping out on the desert in a tent and not freezing for the first time in my life. We use the ulitmate thule 2 bag systems. Yes you get hot, but its easier to cool off than trying to keep warm in a bag that only lets you freeze.
You can always buy a cheap summer type bag for your warmer conditions. Alot of time only use the outer bag to sleep with in the summer and use it as a blanket just thrown over me.
I have been around along time reading only, finally deceided to post a reply.

I'd look at a Wiggy's for a truck bag, but too heavy/bulky for me to be stuffing into the backpack. I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger and like it alot! I'm fat and a restless sleeper so the wider cut and ability to attach the pad to the bag is a plus for me. Also, their AirCore pads mucho nice. I've had the uninsulated version down to about 20ºF with no problems. Next spring I plan on getting an insulated pad and a warmer weather bag from them. You can 'nest' their bags to use them at the same time to take you down to REAL cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back