Cape Buffalo

csutton7

what do you consider to be the necessary qualities in a buff for you to shoot him/her---

I definitely want one with a hard boss and deep curls and 40" would be nice, but if it had 2 out of the 3 I'd probably shoot, but my preference is hard boss and deep curls---chris

I think its important to have a very experiecne PH where buffalo are concerned. Much like hunting big bears, the first one you see will look big enough. Also when you see a group of 50 or more you will struggle to sort them out for yourself. Remember too that Buffalo have a "look" and size that is very regional. The further North you go into Africa the deeper the curls tend to be and the bigger the horns.

A good analogy is that Brown bears on the coast and interior Grizzly bears are 100% exactly the same animal. However the coastal bears due to the massive effortless food source grow much bigger. Much like Buffalo. Buffalo are 100% grazers. In the thick bush of the southern areas of Africa there is less open green lush grassland. As you head north the areas of savanna and huge grass lands become the norm. The Grazing potentail is endless in some places when compared to the thick bush further south.

Now having said that, the hunts in the more southern region are the ones with the real threat of danger. Not that they are 100% safe anyplace but certainly when you can see across an open flat to shoot compared to stalking in thick bush its obvious which is less stressful.

JJ--interesting info analogy--I would've never thought that--but it does make sense--looking at mule deer I'd say more wider bucks come from open country vs timbered country, so why wouldn't it be the same thru-out for other antlered/horned game---I'm not saying this is 100% true but on an overall avg--when having to fight thru scrub brush, trees over time mother nature would tend to adapt your kind towards what was more beneficial---

JJ---when are you leaving for Africa---chris

I'm outta here in May, I'm fishing for Redfish the first few days Of May in Mosqueto lagoon Florida, then home to kiss the wife good by. She is not going this year, too bad I really like having her work there for me. Oh yeah there are other advantages too. Anyway it will be a busy trip as I am working on a new camp in Zulu land and will be doing some hunting in the Kahalari for myself this year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back