Yeti GOBOX Collection

Heaviest bullet?

red

What is the heaviest bullet you have ever used in .223?

red

69 grain J4 contour match bullets. I've also shot a bunch of 65 grain hunting bullets. why do you ask? :cool:

Hey Danr,

I have a Savage 112 heavy barrel with a one in nine twist. I believe this thing has the longest throat I've ever seen.

I took three empty cases slit the necks and inserted 60 grain vmax bullets in the cases.

I tried all three to determine a good over all length for my loaded rounds. No matter how far forward I set the bullets, I couldn't contact the lands.

I believe I will have to go to a much heavier bullet to get the best length.

I never experiment or deviate from the three manuals I use.

By the way, I really enjoy this forum. It doesn't have the problems I've seen on other sites.

red

I've shot some 62-gr HP Russian stuff through my Mini-14 and a Savage 110 "4x4"( a Tactical model with a 20" heavy barrel.) The heaviest I've reloaded so far are some 60 gr Sierra HP's. I tried once to measure the distance to the lands in my Savage with my Stoney Point guage, and it seemed really long. I'll try again and see what I come up with.

[ April 02, 2001: Message edited by: Calif. Hunter ]

You may want to give the 75 grain Hornady BTHP bullets a try. They work great in my .220 Swift. They are the most accurate bullet I've tried for that particular rifle.

[ April 02, 2001: Message edited by: Nodak Hunter ]

Well Red, I'm glad you enjoy this site. I hope that whatever problems you've experiened elsewhere, stay elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you are trying to do by measuring the depth of the throat. If you are guaging for max COL, then I would suggest that you not worry about that and set you max at SAAMI standards Or just a little beyond. The two most important factors regarding max overall length (At least in my experience) have been consitancy and consistancy. As long as you are sure that the COL measured to the secant of the ogive is consistant, then the rest is just adjustment. A couple of myths about reloading for hunting.

1. Seat the bullet right up against the lands of the rifling. ************ Not only no, but hell no. With the bullet seated against the lands of the rifling, there is no where for the expansion of the gas to go to overcome inertia. The resulting rise in the pressure spike will be greatly exagerated and you may have to back off on the load. This causes a sacrifice in velocity that I am unwilling to make.

2. Seat all bullets, regardless of weight to the same overall length. ********* Same reply. Not only no, but *********. Anyway, COL should be set at the ogive of the bullet because that is where the bullet makes contact with the lands of the rifling. If you have several bullets with the same ogive, then they can be set to the same length.

I have found for me, that COL is less important in accuracy than load density is. I try to make all of my loads similar in density (as close ot 110% as possible)and I seem to get similar results. If I find a load that works in a particular caliber, I try to adjust for different bullets weights by using a similar load weight of a faster or slower powder. Anyway, before I get too far off the subject, HEHE :rolleyes: :cool:

[ April 03, 2001: Message edited by: danr55 ]

Back