Caribou Gear

Wyoming Unit 17

Native Texan

Hey all, new to the forum. A buddy and I Both drew buck and doe tags for Unit 17 up in Wyoming. We’ve both hunted in Texas all our lives so this will definitely be new for us. We’ve done a fair bit of research Into access and mapping what we know to be public roads into onX from a map we got from the county website. We’re looking at starting out in that chunk of land adjacent to the west side of 59 but are not opposed to putting some miles on boots or truck tires to get where we want.

Anyone have any experience with 17 willing to share any advice or anything you think we’re missing? We’ve been unable to find any kind of list of landowners willing to accept a trespass fee, and according to the game and fish office we called apparently they don’t even keep a list anymore, any help here would be greatly appreciated as well.

I hunted 17 a few years ago. In the EXACT spot you just mentioned. We managed a little forky muley and a small 4x4 whitetail (saw bigger just no opportunity). Beautiful spot! Like most mule deer hunting stay high. After the first rush of opening morning the deer run up those draws (great ambush point *hint hint*) you get some jack wagons driving their quads out to retrieve game. Not a lot of land but plenty of deer. If you buy the archery stamp stay low in the sage. You get about 2-3 days maybe where the deer may be low if you get away from people but that’s kind of hard to do. Lot of people camp right there. I would look into some of the WIA (walk in areas) with no vehicle access too. Feel free to pm me with any questions also looking forward to seeing pics!!!

Attachments

• EA4C908A-2122-4CBF-AAFA-C659D713842D.jpeg
    EA4C908A-2122-4CBF-AAFA-C659D713842D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: LCH
Haha wow this is under pronghorn! I thought you meant deer WHOOPS! Though tons of antelope! Don’t be afraid to check the small portions. The slot directly west of 59 the larger chunk I did NOT see 1 antelope. Go a little further west and check the small parcels. Get out of the dang truck and hike over the small hill and you’ll probably see an antelope. Maybe not be on public but it’s all timing

Hard to tell but this buck was on a small chunk of public

Attachments

• A9D8502E-B7B9-4895-88E6-74A3E942AA92.jpeg
    A9D8502E-B7B9-4895-88E6-74A3E942AA92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Hey all, new to the forum. A buddy and I Both drew buck and doe tags for Unit 17 up in Wyoming. We’ve both hunted in Texas all our lives so this will definitely be new for us. We’ve done a fair bit of research Into access and mapping what we know to be public roads into onX from a map we got from the county website. We’re looking at starting out in that chunk of land adjacent to the west side of 59 but are not opposed to putting some miles on boots or truck tires to get where we want.

Anyone have any experience with 17 willing to share any advice or anything you think we’re missing? We’ve been unable to find any kind of list of landowners willing to accept a trespass fee, and according to the game and fish office we called apparently they don’t even keep a list anymore, any help here would be greatly appreciated as well.
I’ve hunted unit 17 for many years , it can humble you ...pm me , I may can possible help you

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back