Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming mule deer

kingfisher

My hunting partners and I are going to hunt some ground in SE Wyoming. We have private land and have been told there are some good bucks there. Ranch hand claims 28" is very viable. Can anyone tell us if this a true reality in that area?

Thanks

Bob

Who cares how wide a buck is?

I get tired of hearing all the 30 inch wide, 28 inch wide, etc. crap.

Width is not an indicator of a good mule deer buck, its measured all kinds of ways, sticker to sticker, etc. and is really meaningless on the quality of a mule deer buck.

To be honest, I'd say the ranch hand is blowing it out his ass and wouldnt know a 28 inch mule deer if he had the rack in one hand and a tape measure in the other.

FCB,

You're right, I havent shot many mule deer over 26 inches. I hope I never do, but I want a bunch of deep-forked 24 inchers that have as much mass as a can of corn.

when hear guys says 30" i think he's talking about a 200" buck, not a 160" forked horn willow branch buck.

When most guys start talking 200 inch bucks, its worse than hearing some farm hand talking about 28 inch width...

It's almost as bad as somebody talking about a 400" elk. Hell if I ever do that again.

My PEE PEE is 6" long (When folded).

Jokeing aside, I hope I kill a 28" forked horn some year !!!!!!!! ;)

Ok, All Joking aside, I'm with the opinion that the Ranch hands don't know what a Good buck is. Although, If it's Private land and alot of deer the Chances of a good buck are in your favor. Good luck on your hunt, I jsut happen to be heading to some "good" land in Idaho this year....... Gunna Take me one of them 28"ers !!!!!! :D

The area is SE of Cheyenne, I was told about 25 miles. I did not talk with the ranch onwer. I stated ranch hand but I was told the comment came from the owner. The ranch has not been guided on. Only a couple of family members have hunted the ranch last few years. They do not want over five hunters a year taking mule deer.

I will be the first to say I have not done alot of mule deer hunting. I have hunted all over the US and Sask for whitetails. I figured I could come here and ask a question about mulies since you guys have much more experience in this area. I wanted to see if I was getting a load of crap or if this had possibilities.

I saw a 24-26" buck in MT with bigsky a few years back. It was impressive for sure. I would have been happy with that one.

Kingfisher,

There are some good bucks around SE Wyoming. If you have a place to hunt, I'd try it. You arent out that much if it doesnt pan out.

I'm just skeptical about ranch hands or ranch owners abilities to judge mule deer.

Good luck.

I usually doubt the size of animals until I see them myself. That is why I posted the question here.

I like heavy antlered and deep fork bucks. They don't have to be 28" for me to be happy. I guess I should have posed the question, what should my expectations be?

Kingfisher,

Thats about impossible to answer, depends on the ranch, depends on how hard you hunt. If you cant make it out to the ranch to check it out before-hand, you take your lumps when you get there.

In general, I'd say in SE Wyoming your chances of killing a good mule deer buck are pretty low. They're tough to find in early October, tough to hunt that time of year and they're spread out over a huge amount of country.

I think your expections should be to see what happens when you get here.

A 28" buck was taken on the ranch by a family member last year. I have a picture coming.

All the guys who PM'd, thanks.

Bob

Kingfisher,

Talk to a Biologist from that area, ask what size animals are taken from ranches in that area. See if it is common or not.

Buzz is right, a 28" inch buck doesn't mean much. It depends on how the 28 is measured. You can get a 3x3 to measure 28 that isn't very impressive, or you can get a 200" buck to measure 28.

Keep doing your homework, and see what is available. When you go out, you might be better off spending more days before the opener than after the opener, so you can find out what sizes are to be expected.

I stand corrected, it is SW of Cheyenne, west of 25.

I hope to get out before season starts so I can do some good scouting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back