What should we hunt and film?

I am fairly new to this site and think it is one of the best. I to think you should consider a Northern California blacktail hunt, preferably a wilderness hunt. Like mentioned before the tags are over the counter. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I have some trail camera pics from the last couple of months, as well as a few decent bucks taken from the wilderness areas.

CABugle

First time posting pics, I hope this works! Here are some wilderness CA blacktails.

Attachments

• 8-8-10 trail cam pics 055.jpg
    8-8-10 trail cam pics 055.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 8-8-10 trail cam pics 074.jpg
    8-8-10 trail cam pics 074.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 8-8-10 trail cam pics 238.jpg
    8-8-10 trail cam pics 238.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 185
  • trail camera 4snow mountain 018.jpg
    trail camera 4snow mountain 018.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 8-8-10 trail cam pics 265.jpg
    8-8-10 trail cam pics 265.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 173
Archery coues whitetail in southern AZ. late dec and all of january. they are rutting in dec and you could get some decent video. also tags are otc. on a purely selfish note you may also get some video of illegals and all the garbage they leave behind. believe it or not they are really starting to affect the deer behavior. maybe people will start to realize that there is a huge problem down here and we are not a bunch of racists. i know i'm preaching to the choir here but that is a beautiful part of our state and the hunting is terrific. it's a sad state of affairs when our game and fish dep't has to publish in the regulations that the quality of the southern hunts may be diminished by the illegal immigration and drug running. personally i have never had a problem down there. seen some but they mind their own business. anyway it's still an awesome hunt during a time of year when most of the country is snowed in.

CABugle- Great pics of some nice looking bucks!! Blacktails are on my very short list of things to hunt.

Blacktails are a kick to hunt, but you usually do not see bucks like the photos CABugle has during the rifle season. Can you say nocturnal? You will see some during archery though.

Maybe an episode somewhere that anyone can buy the tag over the counter. Deer,elk, antelope the species isn't important but somewhere non residents can plan a trip to and hunt without the constraints of a lottery. Its been said before but a public land Sika hunt in Maryland could be fun. There are plenty of public lands that hold sika deer. Most are however very thick and may not provide the best footage.

Big Slick, they are around during rifle season, you usually just have to go deeper and steeper!

Attachments

• Mat's hunting pics 027.jpg
    Mat's hunting pics 027.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 2009 Mat's camera 115.jpg
    2009 Mat's camera 115.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 177
I've never seen a show of pig hunting, with dogs, with only a knife. They do it alot in Fla, and I can tell you, it's a Rush !

Just filming that one should be a challenge !

I suggest a chopper drop in BLM hunt next season in eastern Montana, on "public land with no public access".. If timed properly your hunt could be aired on two programs at once.

Greenie - how did you know I would draw a tag that would let me do this? You got connections at MT FWP, or what? The draw wasn't until June and you posted this in February.

Got any other cool suggestions for 2011?

I really liked the spot and stalk bear hunt so that would definitely be a keeper, if not two, I enjoy bear hunts not over bait. Three or four elk. And the AK idea is a great one, I would love to do an OYOA in AK for moose someday so that definitely has my vote, and I also agree with more mule deer episodes than whitetails.

I cannot believe I've not posted on this subject-You've probably been bumping this one just waiting for my input;)
I enjoy elk hunting so I say a couple permit hunts for bulls, maybe 3. And put a bunch of youth together for a late season youth only cow hunt with a famous TV star (that's you).
Mulies. a couple limited entry draws or general season-it don't matter to me as long as we're in the field.
DIY alaska float for moose-I did it, you can too! Might be $$ for a camera crew too.
Do ya know an Alaska resident who would take you on a sheep hunt? Man! That would be Sooo cool from your perspective.
I agree with the Texas exotic angle, Ibex, kudu, etc, etc. I'd love that too.
Cram in a couple of speedgoat hunts-cuz we can!
That leaves us with a couple floaters Maybe combine an antelope hunt with rockchucks/squrirrels at a distance to promote Federal's accuracy.
Bears are good, I wanna get a cat someday but the preds really don't do it for me.
Anyway, there's a place for you to start for 2011-best of luck and continued success!

I like the limited draw hunts too, but I think if you're aiming for the general population, don't forgot to keep throwing in some OTC hunts. I realize it's tough not to include the limited elk tag you seem to be drawing every year, but it's nice to see you guys hunting in areas where us lowly peasants are restricted to.

I like the limited draw hunts too, but I think if you're aiming for the general population, don't forgot to keep throwing in some OTC hunts. I realize it's tough not to include the limited elk tag you seem to be drawing every year, but it's nice to see you guys hunting in areas where us lowly peasants are restricted to.

Season Three has Colorado OTC elk, Kansas whitetails in a unit that had leftover tags, and Alaska black bear that is OTC. That work?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back