Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What did you learn elk hunting this year?

Don't draw you bow back on this.

P1010477.jpg

If you want to shoot this.

P1020661.jpg

I learned a lot over the last week of rifle season. Met an old cowboy that took me in after he saw my ghetto camp get snowed out haha He told me to forget all the shit ive read in books and magazines and hunt elk where there at. He said there just a big dumb deer and all you have to do is find them.
He told me to dump my heavy pack frame and just carry a knife and some candy bars if I thought it was necessary and to eat snow if I got thirsty. He called my pack an anchor. All he carried was a lighter and a pack of marb reds and smoked an entire pack on each of our hunts. This man was as western as they get.
We covered a ton of ground and ended up finding me a pair of good bulls that I missed. I learned much more than this in terms of tracking, shooting, and just plain life. Ill never forget it. Good news is I passed the test and am invited back any time.

I learned a lot over the last week of rifle season. Met an old cowboy that took me in after he saw my ghetto camp get snowed out haha He told me to forget all the shit ive read in books and magazines and hunt elk where there at. He said there just a big dumb deer and all you have to do is find them.
He told me to dump my heavy pack frame and just carry a knife and some candy bars if I thought it was necessary and to eat snow if I got thirsty. He called my pack an anchor. All he carried was a lighter and a pack of marb reds and smoked an entire pack on each of our hunts. This man was as western as they get.
We covered a ton of ground and ended up finding me a pair of good bulls that I missed. I learned much more than this in terms of tracking, shooting, and just plain life. Ill never forget it. Good news is I passed the test and am invited back any time.

That's old school.

I wouldn't exactly call them big dumb deer though.

That's old school.

I wouldn't exactly call them big dumb deer though.

Yah the guy was old school. He hunts with an open sighted remington game master 30/06 or a 22-250. Never missed he said. I wouldnt call them a big dumb deer either but he hunts them just the same. We would just find a fresh track in the snow and follow it until it lead us to elk, just slowly picking our way through dark timber, almost seems like a lost art after spot&stalk has been drilled in my head by virtually everyone. I couldnt believe how far he could hike for how much he smoked. I would always start out a bit stronger than him and would peter out around the 8 or 9 mile mark and he would just keep on at the same pace. I think combining his tactics with some "new tactics" is the way to go personally.

those happy face fruit snacks from Walmart are a must have;great imfo there,lol

I guess im not following you guys.

How does he get his meat out of the woods?

Eating snow is down right dangerous. Have you ever melted snow to make water? If you have, you know how much snow it takes to make a little bit of actual water. Not to mention what it does to your core temperature.

What smoking does to your health is well documented.

You can do whatever you want, but what you describe seems to be a fairly reckless way to prepare.

How does he get his meat out of the woods?

Eating snow is down right dangerous. Have you ever melted snow to make water? If you have, you know how much snow it takes to make a little bit of actual water. Not to mention what it does to your core temperature.

What smoking does to your health is well documented.

You can do whatever you want, but what you describe seems to be a fairly reckless way to prepare.
1st.) you quarter em up and go get friends with pack frames or horses. Most old timers dont waste meat, including him.

2nd.) ive eaten snow since before ive known, im still alive, were not talking winter survival here were talking day hunts in familiar areas.

3rd.) I dont smoke and dont plan on it, just stating what I saw.

Finally, my point in making that post was people hunted that way for a VERY VERY long time up until lately. People have forgotten how to be proficient woodsman with out all of the gear and gadgets they can stuff in a day pack. Getting back to the basics is what helped got me my first shot at a bull and ill continually hunt that way. I always carry a lighter and fire starter along with some snack sticks and I where wool. I dont need much more to survive, maybe you do.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back