Caribou Gear

What did you learn elk hunting this year?

Only one I ever saw was the last time I climbed Gallatin peak.I was coming off the summit and crossed paths with one in a scree field at 10500 ft.Gnarley looking critter.

I learned a couple things this season about elk hunting. One is that if you are able to get in on the herd bull and his harem make sure you are in heavy enough cover to call from. I got in close and was able to get him fired up and bugling back. But when he came towards me he checked each cow as he passed them and stopped coming when he got to the nearest cow (60 yards). Then he just stood there staring my direction and raking up the ground with his antlers. U know the next part... Get up ladies it's time to go. If they don't see what they are expecting to see they won't stick around too long.

If you spook a herd close-up, run with them.

Bulls make a lot of different sounds...some not very loud. Ever hear of "glunking?"

Some bugles are not loud enough to be heard outside of the immediate area.

Stick to the game plan and stay where you know there are animals, don't chase half way acroos the state to try somewhere else that you have no knowledge of, just because the elk are getting harder to find where you are.

Didn't really learn this year, but was reminded that when you jump a bull in the timber, it's always "the big one" until after you pull the trigger.

Also, if you don't hit them good, they probably won't run closer to the truck.

Also, if it hurts today, it's probably going to hurt a lot more tomorrow.

Also, if you're hunting elk, there will always be a XL deer track circling your tent when you get back to camp after dark.

You can never carry enough beer for camp.

I learned basically everything I know about hunting them this year. It still wouldn't add up to much compared to some of the guys who yawn before and after shooting big bulls every year, but it feels like I learned a ton, including:

- I wish I had started shooting archery 25 years ago
- Bowhunting elk is so much more fun than bowhiking elk country in SW CO.
- Don't call to active bulls unless you're already set up and ready (duh! but who knew he'd come charging in within a few seconds?)
- Be aggressive but don't push when busted (probably not everyone would agree with that)
- A decoy and cow call can stop 3 running cows dead in their tracks and bring a calf within 5 yards
- A ton of blood is not the same as having a bull on the ground
- A bull on the ground feels pretty darn great
- I may have to archery hunt elk every year I'm alive from now on

Didn't really learn this year, but was reminded that when you jump a bull in the timber, it's always "the big one" until after you pull the trigger.

Also, if you don't hit them good, they probably won't run closer to the truck.

Also, if it hurts today, it's probably going to hurt a lot more tomorrow.

Also, if you're hunting elk, there will always be a XL deer track circling your tent when you get back to camp after dark.

You can never carry enough beer for camp.

Sounds like you got a good story for us?

Easy Montana boys, you're going to give away all our secrets ;-)

I learned that just because you made a mistake in a spot with an elk in one spot, doesn't mean you can't make the same mistake again in that same spot.

I learned they have a 6th sense and know exactly when to stop so you have no shot even at 14 yards.In rifle i learned that you have to keep hitting them till they're off their feet.Rifles don't leave great blood trails,and they can get a long ways away fast
I also learned that the elk where i hunt in wy. like to get out and move around in the mid-morning sun during the rifle season so stay in the woods.And, you can call in a bull while breaking branches up for the fire pit.Unfortunately this was a day before the rifle opener
main thing I learned is that it will be impossible for me not to be bowhunting elk somewhere in sept.;man is that addicting!!!!

I've also learned its good to be friends with access to elk in a "C" tag area here in CO

I learned that if you don't hit elk right, they don't die, and that they won't stand broadside for you when you throw your wallet at them.

I learned I still make some of the same simple, stupid mistakes I made when I first started archery hunting them ten years ago.

I learned that the front has a ton of people on it during rifle.
If wolves are in the area, the elk usually are too. And vis versa.
Be careful on who you take hunting,
Talk to more people that know the area, I hiked into what I thought was a hell hole, maps didn't show any roads. Got down in the bottom to find a truck parked in it with a camp set up.
Lastly, during rifle the last place you would expect to find elk is where they usually are.

If you pack up a really heavy camp and head in with a plan to stay the week, you will kill an elk in only 4 hours and have to pack said heavy camp back out.

P1010477.jpg

Shoot them where you can get the front end loader to them.

042.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back