Weed wacker

mtmuley

OK, I just smashed the cheapo POS weed wacker (string trimmer) into pieces. It's hot out, and the damn thing hasn't worked right in a couple years. I am going to buy a new one tomorrow. I know Lawnboy should have some insight, but what do you guys use? I'm thinking Stihl. Man was I mad! mtmuley

Spook, it felt really good. A simple task is so much harder when equipment won't perform. The steam is blown off, so now I can make a rational decision on a replacement. mtmuley

Spook, it felt really good. A simple task is so much harder when equipment won't perform. The steam is blown off, so now I can make a rational decision on a replacement. mtmuley

The Rednecks that live down the road from me,recommend just turning a couple goats loose in the yard. I tell my wife, that's my plan once my kids are grown.:rolleyes:

I'm a redneck (so my wife says) and I hate goats. Unless I ever draw a tag. I'm looking at a Stihl real hard. Our local dealer opens at 8:30 am I believe. mtmuley

I don't know how widely available these are, but a few years ago I bought a Shindaiwa trimmer from a little shop in my neighborhood. It has been great. I have weed trimmer, hedge trimmer and chainsaw units for the motor and shaft, and they all get the job done with no problems. I think it's been to the shop one time, only for some off-season maintenance and cleaning.

Thanks Paul. The warranty on Shindaiwa equipment is incredible. This isn't going to be as easy as I thought. mtmuley

I have a lawn care business for what its worth. I was a loyal Echo user for years, they used to make a quality product. HOWEVER, in my opinion, they make total junk now. Me and several lawn guys I know use echo trimmers all have the same problems after about a year.

I recently started buying Stihl products, so far, so good. When my current echo finally dies all the way, I'm gonna get a 4 stroke Honda trimmer.

Last edited:
Here is a tidbit of info. No matter what you buy after a season or less you will probably have trouble with it running lean. The EPA has manufactures putting stupid little limit stops on the carb mixture and it make it impossible to adjust a weed eater or chansaw unless you remove the screw stops. This is usually pretty easy and a small side cutters can a lot of times fit in there to snip off the little plastic lugs on the screws and then you can back the screws out to give it the gas it needs.

Alright here I go. You can't go wrong with Stihl. I'm currently using Echo and have 7 of them. Stihls are just a bit heavy for all the trimming we do. They are great trimmers though and will serve you well. Like Shmalts said almost any 2 cycle equipment eventually has issues. I find in trimmers the carbon build up is the culprit. Once it starts running like crap start another thread and I'll talk you through several fixes. The gas we get to use now sucks. Thanks to Obama we get to use ethanol which is destroying everything. That little primer bulb will crack and leak in a year because of it. If you can, buy fuel without it. Most fuel will begin to go bad in 30 days so don't try to store gallons of it all summer.
If you have a Stihl dealer close go see him. I'm not real familiar with all their models but spending some money now on a " better than homeowner" model will pay dividends. At the end of the year put in some fresh fuel and stabilizer and run it so it gets the treated fuel in the carb. If you do this it will fire up every spring like a champ.

I will trim more on Monday than most homewoners will do in a year so I know these trimmers will last a homeowner to the grave if taken care of. Good luck and remember the fuel and stabilizer. Oh and always use high octane fuel in those things. They run a lot better on it. Good luck.

Here is a tidbit of info. No matter what you buy after a season or less you will probably have trouble with it running lean. The EPA has manufactures putting stupid little limit stops on the carb mixture and it make it impossible to adjust a weed eater or chansaw unless you remove the screw stops. This is usually pretty easy and a small side cutters can a lot of times fit in there to snip off the little plastic lugs on the screws and then you can back the screws out to give it the gas it needs.

You're too late schmalts, muleys already murdered the poor thing.

Whatchu talking about. I do believe you can buy gas without alcohol in the Bozone.

I don't have time to drive to the only couple stations to get it. The fact that we are using ethanol in our fuel is ridiculous. That's a whole other topic though.:mad:

I'll echo what Lawnboy said about getting an Echo. It is a fine trimmer. Mine still runs fine on last year gas.

I'm still using my echo I bought in 2002. Getting a little rough but a little maintenance fires it right up

Lawnboy, what do you think about 4 cycle trimmers? I see quite a few of them offered these days. I am off to the Stihl dealer later today. And yeah, it's somewhat late to do any adjusting on my old trimmer. mtmuley

The commercial lawn care company I work for uses all stihl wackers. 56's or 70's. Seems to be the only pieces of equipment we haven't had issues with this season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back