Caribou Gear

Walkers Game Ear

Magnum Sherpa

Anyone have these? What do you think of them? I am basically looking for something to protect my hearing from muzzle blast while hunting, but still allow me to hear game, talk to my hunting partner, etc. I shot my elk last week with my rifle with a muzzle brake and my ears were ringing for hours after. Don't want to do that again. If you have the Game Ear, which model? Thank you!

I use one, the Elite HD Pro, which was about 200 bucks at Cabela's. It has volume and frequency control and works great as long as there are no aircraft or high winds around. I have high frequency loss hearing in my right ear and I can tune it to the frequency band I need and can once again hear the birds singing and crickets chirping. I even use it as a hearing aid sometimes when in mixed conversation. It does have high DB attenuation but can't remember where it clips, 50 DB maybe.

I use the Walker Alpha 360 Ear muffs. Volume control on each ear so you get stereo sound. I have used them the last several years. It amplifies the smaller sounds and hearing an Elk bugle while wearing them is a unique experience. My guide likes them because he can whisper and I can clearly hear him. I shoot a 340 Weatherby with a muzzle brake, and the ear muffs work perfectly.
I tried the "in the ear" type, and didn't like the feeling of that thing in my ear plus I kept hearing an electrical type of humming noise constantly.
I got the Walker Aplha 360 on Camofire for $39.99. I bought the black ones first, and liked them so much I ordered a pair of Camo ones which are the ones I use for hunting.

I don't know how old you are or what your budget is, but... I don't like the game ears at all. But if you are just looking for something to help in the field, prob ok. If you are younger and have good hearing still, I would strongly suggest you pay the money and get some custom made ones from a DR. They will do much more to protect your ears.

I don't know how old you are or what your budget is, but... I don't like the game ears at all. But if you are just looking for something to help in the field, prob ok. If you are younger and have good hearing still, I would strongly suggest you pay the money and get some custom made ones from a DR. They will do much more to protect your ears.

I'm 36 and my hearing is still fine as far as I can tell. If they worked well, my budget is pretty generous. Did you get custom ones from an audiologist? About how much did they set you back?

I'm 36 and my hearing is still fine as far as I can tell. If they worked well, my budget is pretty generous. Did you get custom ones from an audiologist? About how much did they set you back?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hearing aids from audiologists are for sound amplification only. They don't shut down loud, hearing damaging noises.

I've been looking into something similar, too. My notes are on my desk at work. A guy on another forum recommended something similar from ESP. A nurse at a local audiologist office said they carry the Westone equivalent. I still need to do quite a bit odd research, but I think I'd prefer something in-ear rather than muffs.

Both these models cancel loud noises and amplify, too.

I happened to see that they had the over-the-ear style muffs by Black Ovis on Camofire. They were normally $60, but on sale for $30. I figured I would try these since they are cheap and my Pennsylvania deer hunt is coming up in a little over 2 weeks. I will keep researching the in-ear style for next season. Thanks for the replies.

I happened to see that they had the over-the-ear style muffs by Black Ovis on Camofire. They were normally $60, but on sale for $30. I figured I would try these since they are cheap and my Pennsylvania deer hunt is coming up in a little over 2 weeks. I will keep researching the in-ear style for next season. Thanks for the replies.
Right now Camofire has the Super Duper Walker Game Ear Muffs for $79.95 which is 65% off. That is a deal- They are really great, even better than the ones I bought.

I have the over-the-ear muffs ($40 from Amazon) and they work ok. They only have a db reduction of 22 and they hurt my head after wearing them for about 2 hours. They also get very sweaty in mild weather and make it difficult to wear a hat or cap (required orange in CO). I am definitely interested in the in-ear "Game Ear" ones. Anyone have an opinion about which model to get?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walkers-Game-Ear-reg-Digital-HD-X-Game-Ear/1214146.uts?productVariantId=2971989&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03241736&rid=20&gclid=COT0kdrHl9ACFUdYDQod_u8Gig&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the over-the-ear muffs ($40 from Amazon) and they work ok. They only have a db reduction of 22 and they hurt my head after wearing them for about 2 hours. They also get very sweaty in mild weather and make it difficult to wear a hat or cap (required orange in CO). I am definitely interested in the in-ear "Game Ear" ones. Anyone have an opinion about which model to get?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walkers-Game-Ear-reg-Digital-HD-X-Game-Ear/1214146.uts?productVariantId=2971989&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03241736&rid=20&gclid=COT0kdrHl9ACFUdYDQod_u8Gig&gclsrc=aw.ds

I definitely prefer the ear muffs over the "in the ear" models. I tried the in the ear ones (Radians), and they were uncomfortable. One size ear piece was too small, and would fall out and the next size was too large that caused my ears to hurt after an hour or so. The unit itself kinda went behind the ear and stayed in place without too much trouble. I also got a constant humming noise (very faint but I could hear it). I think the over the ear muffs protect from the muzzle blast better also, but I could be wrong.

My Captain purchased a pair of "Wildear" Custom in the ear plugs, and he loves them. He does a lot of waterfowl hunting, and shoots a lot in the off season. He paid $1000 for them, and they are custom fit to his ear. BUT he is a Captain- I am just a Deputy so I have to pay for mine so I prefer the $40 Muffs.

Last edited:
i was also looking at the walkers game ears style ear plugs but never pulled the trigger on them. I just ordered these quiet-band earplugs, actually seen a guest hunter on an episode of fresh tracks wearing them around his neck. they seem like a cheap handy set up ear plugs to use. I guess we'll find out

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/quiet-band

i was also looking at the walkers game ears style ear plugs but never pulled the trigger on them. I just ordered these quiet-band earplugs, actually seen a guest hunter on an episode of fresh tracks wearing them around his neck. they seem like a cheap handy set up ear plugs to use. I guess we'll find out

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/quiet-band

Those would be good if you remember to put them on just before you shoot. The Howard Leight and Game Ear ones we are talking about are electronic and amplify the low level noises (deer walking, hunting buddy whispering) while also blocking the high level noises (muzzle blast). I do a lot of walking around ("still hunting") and don't think I would ever have time or remember to put plugs in at the last second.

Back