Moose and game bags

Preacher shaner

How many game bags should I take on my moose hunt. This is my frist western hunt so new to the use of game bags. The unit we are in you do have to leave the quarters on the bone.

I'm assuming shiras? If so the caribou gear moose kit will work great as mentioned above. If it's Alaskan which I'm assuming not since you mentioned out west , I would take a couple extra

If he is leaving the quarters on the bone then he most likely is hunting Alaska and it is in unit required to do so by law.
No way you’re getting away with four bags and extra for loose meat.

You need bone out both sides of the chuck, that’s two more bags right there. You will need to take out the ribs as well, split them and leave the brisket on, another Bag for that…..your up to 8 bags, don’t forget your back straps and the cape if your taking it.
Last moose trip in Alaska it was 5 trips with two of us to get it all, the rack comes last.
Don’t forget to take pictures of the remains of the carcass it makes it easier if you get checked by fish and wildlife. They will nail for wanton waste if your weights don’t add up.

If he is leaving the quarters on the bone then he most likely is hunting Alaska and it is in unit required to do so by law.
No way you’re getting away with four bags and extra for loose meat.

You need bone out both sides of the chuck, that’s two more bags right there. You will need to take out the ribs as well, split them and leave the brisket on, another Bag for that…..your up to 8 bags, don’t forget your back straps and the cape if your taking it.
Last moose trip in Alaska it was 5 trips with two of us to get it all, the rack comes last.
Don’t forget to take pictures of the remains of the carcass it makes it easier if you get checked by fish and wildlife. They will nail for wanton waste if your weights don’t add up.
This is solid advice here

7-9 bags is what we’ve always had. We hunt in an area the meat has to be on the bone and you have to take the ribs. If you and your partner are going to remain in the bush hunting more after harvesting a moose I’d bring 2x that in order to rinse and change the bags out after a couple of days.

1707765367375.png

This is what I took...

I usually bring 10-12. That way I end up with a spare or two to rinse out or swap out if a bag gets really bloody. If I can bone it out, I put ~50lbs in a bag, they are much easier to handle and move around than a big blob of meat.

I've packed out quite a few moose in 6 trips with just 6 large TAG bags (no ribs required). 4 quarters, and one bag each for ribs, backstrap and neck ~70lbs each side. Packing moose meat isn't fun anyway you look at it. Fronts are around 65-75lbs hinds are 85-100ish. The last bull I shot was 520lbs of boneless meat. It was a mature bull, but wasn't a giant. With bones you'd add about 20 more pounds

A small tarp is also great to have to keep meat clean at the butcher spot, and also a must to keep meat dry when you get it back to camp. A cheap blue poly tarp works fine, they weigh nothing. Bring lots of extra para cord too.

I wouldn't worry about how much the bags weigh, TBH. The heavier bags are way more durable in my experience, but it really depends on the material they're made out of. I have probably 60 game bags now, no idea how I've ended up with so many, various versions, makes and models. I like Caribou and Olin bags, but have some of the heavy duty TAG bags that are awesome as well.

Good luck!!! Moose hunting is a lot of fun.

I think we got away with 7 or 8 on my bull. And he was about the size of a shiras, could we have condensed down more. Yes, but we didn't for meat division for a pack out assist

Good advice on bringing a few tarps along. Keep the meat dry and clean. Some powdered citrus to mix with water to put on the meat to help keep the flies off. And some duct tape to tape the game bags closed, tightly ! The blow flies will try to get it the bags. A couple small smokey fires near the meat can help with the flies also

The question of what type of bags to use depends on the hunt. A mediocre bag may suffice if you drive to your camp and will load meat in your truck. A long float trip of handling bagged meat daily or dragging them in and out of a super cub having good bags is a must. The same with packing on animals and going through trees and brush.

I have used muslin bags for over 30 years and not a rip or tear in any. I bought and cut the material in many sizes and my saddle maker buddy sewed them. Sizes for a whole hanging elk, moose quarters etc. Wash ASAP and they will last a lifetime.

Bill Zent

Back