Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 116 WY Elk

SDFarmWife/Hunter

Hi All! First time posting on a Forum....so, thanks in advance to anyone that replies!
My husband & I will be Elk hunting WY for the first time this fall. Drew general elk tags!! We are looking to archery hunt Bear Lodge Mtns. in 116, as is close to home here in eastern SD. Farming/Cattle haven't given us much chance for scouting....only quick trip thru Sundance & Aladdin last month. Talked with C.O. a bit. Have a couple ideas on where to try our luck, but wondering if anyone willing to throw some tips/suggestions our way? Prefer to get away from other hunters, walking back into good country. Don't like the ATV way of 'hunting'. Not able to shell out the big $$ for any outfitters. But, would be willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee for private if necessary to find decent bulls. Especially if no tags filled during archery & needed to return with rifles. Our oldest daughter attends college, works & lives in Sheridan, so possibility of hunting general units out there, but have heard competition with big outfitters in the Bighorns can ruin the fun of the DIY hunter's time in the woods. Thanks for reading my post! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Tough to find a rancher that will allow elk hunting or has not been leased up by an outfitter.Your doing it right going in archery season. You should find elk.Try and allow your self 10 days for the hunt.My choice for elk in the forest would be the first 10 days of the season before they get pressured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back