Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Typical range for elk?

Ben Long

One of the earlier threads got me thinking... what's an average range for killing an elk with a rifle these days? My memory and math skills are not all that great, but I've shot elk from 9 yards to maybe 300. I think the average is about 75-80. But I still-hunt dark timber in dense forest. Where do you hunt elk and what range shot are you most likely to presented?

I would guess my average is about 80 yards. I think if like me, you're rifle hunting high pressure areas your average will be lower, because the places you see elk and pursue them will be in the timber. I think the longest shot I've made on an elk is 225 yards or so. Been a few times I've seen him at 300+ and wished I was capable at that range.

I have made a few shots that some might consider unethical. Conversely, I have missed some absurdly easy shots over the years. I would guess that 95% of my shots on elk have been within 300 yards. Probably about 90 % within 200 yards, only about 50% within 100 yards. I would put the average right about 200 yards.
I hunt high desert mostly with timber pockets. Push 'em into the open and punch a hole in one.

I've shot several elk from 5 to 10 yards with a bow/rifle. About 8 elk from 40 yards to 125 yards. And several bulls from 250 to 400 plus. So my average is about 75-100 yards. Usually its quick off-hand shots through timber at moving elk.

The farthest was 170 yards. My first elk was the closest at 12 yards, thanks to several inches of fresh powder snow and a favorable wind. I took a couple with my muzzleloader, one at about 25 yards and the other around 80. My last elk was about 40 yards away.

I've shot 6 elk in the last 7 years.

1st - maybe 100 yards, probably less than that in dark timber.
2nd - 125 yards - ranged - opening in dark timber
3rd - 285? - ranged - remember it was under 300 yards, relatively open area
4th - 65 yards - ranged - open area in some pinion junipers
5th - 50 yards - ranged - dark timber - snuck in the shot through the trees
6th - 250 yards - ranged - burned timber

That computed to an average shot of 146 yards, but only 2 of the 6 were over 125 yards.

Another way to look at it would be that 66% of my shots were 125 yards or less.

Of my five in the last 10 years:

Bull 1: 40 yards
Cow 1: 50 yards
Cow 2: 30 yards
Bull 2: 275 yards

Bull 3 (archery) = 40 yards

All of these were in the "thick" timber of western and SW Montana

It really just depends on the country. I know other hunters who would have a much shorter average. They still kill as many, or more, elk than I do.

My grandpa killed a bunch of them with various lever-action, open-sighted .30 caliber rifles.

I am at two right now. First @ 150m and second @ 360m. The 360 was definitely the out edge of my comfort level and the edge of what I personally consider hunting versus shooting. I know that is a personal choice but, for me, 500+ yards get to the point of a "mailing it in" to me.

For shortest, killed a couple with the rifle at around 50 yards in the timber, longest was 365 ranged. I'm going to guess average shot for me is about 150 yards.

My elk kills have been 4 @ 50 yards or less and one at 200 yards. I will say if I were to start over I would have bought a range finder the first year and would have twice the number of elk. John

I'm at 142 yards average overall. 218 average with a gun, 39 with a bow. Low is 5 yards with a bow, high is 610 with a rifle. Hunted eastern MT open country, heavy timber in western MT and cross canyon stuff in western MT.

Well I only bow hunt and I've only taken 3 elk
Cow: 26 yards
Bull: 37 yards
Cow this year: 18 yards all ranged in pretty thick timber but had good shooting lanes
Average: 27 yards according to the math

I've shot elk from about 20 yards to 450 yards. Belly deep is right, it really depends on the terrain you're hunting in and the area. Most of my elk have been in the timber. Only a few have been over 100 yards.

Most of mine have been have been in the 50 to 80 yard range in thicker timber. A couple between 100 to 200 yards. With only two between 200 and 300 yards. Passed on 350 yard shot on what would probably be my biggest bull in hopes of closing the gap. He pulled a fast one on me and got away without me firing a shot. Average of all shots probably 85 yards.

Obviously it depends on the kind of country you hunt. I've taken 25 elk in the past 28 years of solo DIY rifle hunts on public land in CO. With ranges from 18-238 yards my average shot is about 65 yards. The distances have gotten closer over the years, not sure why. Maybe it's because I don't see as well nowadays. I have kept hunt and harvest data and someday will enter it in an Excel spreadsheet for a more accurate digest.

My two elk I've killed with a rifle are both extremes, 30 yards and 450 yards. So I guess 240 is my average.

After killing that elk at 450 I haven't attempted a shot anywhere near that long again, but have had opportunities to.

For me it's varied a lot based on where I was hunting. Although some of my closest shots were in open country. I've killed a fair number of elk in the Big Belts/Cascade area, and my shots there ranged from 100 yards to 250 yards. One cow in eastern MT fell at about 150-200 yards.

My longest shot was my first elk, on a cross canyon shot here in WA. It was about 400 yards. My shortest shot was a rifle kill in the Scapegoat Wilderness at about 25 feet.

My most memorable elk was a small 2x3 I killed with one of my daughters laying right by me as I shot it at 75 yards in the Snake River breaks.

I'd have to put some mental effort into my average, but I'm guessing its well under 200 yards.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back