This year's line up?

Rem 700 CDL in a 7mm mag with 150 core- loks for deer, elk, and bear in 22 days.

tin_foil_hat.jpg

What do you mean, I don't own any guns!!

6.5-284 semi custom built on a savage
338 lapua cutom built on a stiller action
Remmy 700 30-06

This is if I get any hunting in. Having moved, my hunting will mostly be range work!:D

Kids first. Ruger .243 Winchester and 95 grain Berger VLDs for Deer. Ruger .270 Winchester and140 grain Accubonds for elk. Me, my trusty 700 in.300 Remington Ultra Mag and 200 grain Accubonds for everything. mtmuley

If I can get the barrel broken in on my 1908 Brazilian DSM Mauser action .280 Rem build tomorrow and test some different loads I've put together it might get the nod, otherwise it will be the Win 70 in .243 or my FN Mauser in -06.

Weatherby mark v ultra light in 7mm rem mag.
May take the 300 wby out for bear. Depends if I want to punish my self.

This season could be titled, "One man, one rifle." My entire season will be with the new Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, chambered in a 7mm-.08, carrying a Leupold VX-3.

IMG_2779.JPG

IIRC, the Alpine is Hi Tech stocked...same as Banser. Same stock I chose for the custom. I like the extended mag Randy.

IIRC, the Alpine is Hi Tech stocked...same as Banser. Same stock I chose for the custom. I like the extended mag Randy.

It is, Harley. And having such a high-demand stock on a production rifle is a hiccup to getting tons of these to the retailers. There is a huge back order already. But, Hi Tech can only allot so many stocks.

My begging allowed me to get a .308 Win out of the last production run. Haven't had time to get a scope on it or take it to the range. Thinking it will be a similar result to what this 7mm-.08 has been; impressive.

Would love to bring one for you to shoot around with, when we finally get a date set for that elk camp.

For the first time in the last 40 years I'll be carrying something other than a trusty old 30.06. My new set up is a Ruger American in 7mm-08. Great shooter, light to carry and no recoil. Deer season opens tomorrow so I hope to break it in right.

Kimber Montana 308 - sheep
Winchester M70 SS Classic Super Shadow 325WSM - moose/caribou
Remington M700 SS BDL Rem 7 mag - elk/deer

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in a .308 shooting Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr ballistic tips. CDS scope (just need to remember you have to turn the dial for it to work!). Just got it in the spring and it worked nicely on a large spring bear.

If I get into some short range stuff the old 30-30 Model 94 is always ready to go!

It is, Harley. And having such a high-demand stock on a production rifle is a hiccup to getting tons of these to the retailers. There is a huge back order already. But, Hi Tech can only allot so many stocks.

My begging allowed me to get a .308 Win out of the last production run. Haven't had time to get a scope on it or take it to the range. Thinking it will be a similar result to what this 7mm-.08 has been; impressive.

Would love to bring one for you to shoot around with, when we finally get a date set for that elk camp.

Is that the reason these haven't showed up on their website yet? I noticed they have a "lighweight" option for their barreled actions for sale. But, it's only available in blue and there is no mention that it is a detachable magazine.

If I make it to Deer Camp in West Central Minnesota this year I will have my Browning BLR 308 and Federal Fusion ammo for decent weather or the Howa 1500 270 Win w/Houge Stock and handloaded 140 grain Nosler Partitions for snow/light rain. Midday spot and stalk through the thick undergrowth of Douglas County MN oak woods will be a Marlin 336 35 Remington.

If I stay in Southern MN, my trusty Mossberg 500 with Federal Fusion slugs. I will for sure be bowhunting with a Bowtech Assasin.

I have my fingers crossed that in the next week a package from McMillan will arrive at my house; which should just barely allow me to complete my .260 build in time for Muley and cow elk in WY.

If that doesn't work out I will be toting the M70 300 WSM with Vortex HSLR 4-16x44 (it spits Federal 165 Trophy Copper inside 1.5 inches at 200); which has proven pretty deadly so far this year. I will probably back it up with my Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem.

This season could be titled, "One man, one rifle." My entire season will be with the new Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, chambered in a 7mm-.08, carrying a Leupold VX-3.

View attachment 43339

Having put my grubby mitts on that rifle out in MT a couple of weeks ago, I can attest that it is one slick little rifle. It makes a guy question building a custom light rifle a little bit.

Is that the reason these haven't showed up on their website yet? I noticed they have a "lighweight" option for their barreled actions for sale. But, it's only available in blue and there is no mention that it is a detachable magazine.

I believe that is the reason. The prototype I have been using was on display at SHOT Show last winter, the show when most orders are written. It attracted a lot of attention among retailers who do well with their Howa line. The entire production run is already allocated among retailers, quite a few months in advance. I will find out more about when this rifle will be featured on the website.

And, hopefully find out what retailers are getting the largest allocation of these to pass along to the Hunt Talk crowd.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back