This year's line up?

Nice glass bigeasy! Nothing like a free rifle to rationalize an optics splurge. Ought to be a shooter.

After several hours of shooting while constantly being interrupted by guys who couldn't get their black guns to work...and telling them no, they can't shoot through my chronograph my Mashburn is getting the nod.

And I thought I carried a lot of crap to the range.

Gotta love the range commandoes.

For me it's the trusty 1937 Winchester model 54 in .30-06. It's light, trim, and fast...fine for taking elk in the timber at an average 65 yards.

Topping it is a Leupold Alaskan 4x which has a 7/8" steel tube, a latter day upgrade of the classic Lyman Alaskan. It's a rock solid combo that shoots with minute-of-elk accuracy every year. This rifle has helped me take a lot of big game.

I do have a hankering for a modern rifle with modern optics, but I'm partial to the classic style and would choose a wood stocked lightweight in .30-06 with a gold ring above.

I doubt many production or custom rifles today match the craftsmanship of that Winchester. I love my 1957 production M70 and can't think about retiring it. Absolutely gorgeous rifle, Hummer.

How do you think the Minox stacks up against a Leupold Vx-3? I like the 2-10 range a lot.

I don't have the best eye for comparing optics, but it's a very nice piece of glass. I have more experience with the vxIII than the 3, but I'd say they're in the same class.

Dustin, you're not allowed back without a rifle and tag.

Factory Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08 with 140gr Nosler E-tip (factory second reloads) for antelope, deer, elk, & bear.

Mossberg 835 for waterfowl. Rem 870 16ga for upland birds.

After several hours of shooting while constantly being interrupted by guys who couldn't get their black guns to work.

Most here are very knowledgeable and follow strict range protocol but there was this one foreign pilot who was strolling behind the benches last winter with his weapon slung barrel down. He was cool about clearing and racking when I asked but it was an uncomfortably creepy moment.

I love the 444. Very underrated cartridge.

Yes. It's an absolute sledgehammer. Not to mention another underrated aspect of the gun: open sights

My gut is telling me to move it up to my "A gun" since I do so much better with it in the thick stuff. Sometimes I'm able to get two shots off in the time it would take me to get a good sight picture with my "cool guy" Leupold.

I love the 444. Very underrated cartridge.

Yes. It's an absolute sledgehammer. Not to mention another underrated aspect of the gun: open sights

My gut is telling me to move it up to my "A gun" since I do so much better with it in the thick stuff. Sometimes I'm able to get two shots off in the time it would take me to get a good sight picture with my "cool guy" Leupold.

A heavy slug at moderate velocity will put meat in the freezer so long as you can hit what you're aiming for. The old ways work, you just have to get a little closer. :)

Primary right now is my Bear Motive 6. But once rifle comes around it'll be:

Tikka T3 in .300 Win Mag (Leupold 4.5X14 VX3) as primary go to.

In the wings are: Ruger No 1 in .338 Win Mag, Browning BLR81 in .308, a 70's vintage Weatherby in .243 Win and rounding out with a .444 Marlin.

The Marlin might see some white-tail action this year. Love that gun in the thick stuff.

Three shots with small gusts of wind. Only 25 yards, but it looks like the 75 year old '06 has a few more elk and deer left in her future.

The taped shots were from a crummy old 1976 Ruger 270.
rg

Attachments

• IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back