Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Devil's Lettuce

I really need to start paying attention to hot threads before they get to 13 pages smh.

Never done the honky tonk toke, but eh whatever. People can do as they please. I only get slightly upset when I'm in the middle of Walmart and I suddenly run into the smell in the middle of the puzzle aisle with my kid.

You also have Chinese grow operations. We've had 2-3 closed in the last 12 months here in Oklahoma. One by me was shutdown after one of the operators murdered a worker instead of paying him and was reported on by others who for obvious reasons feared for their lives. All Chinese nationals.
I recall getting some very good advice rolling thru Idabel and McCurtain County...it was 'mind your own business'.

5 of us on bikes in New Braunfels wisely took a taxi to dinner and libations. When we asked the driver about the odor he reached under his seat and produced a marijuana scented spray can. He was wearing shades when he picked us back up for the ride back to the hotel. I swear the whole damn Hill Country stayed lit...

There's a little market tucked in those hills where you can get some dank. They were pretty open about it.

Interesting that the WSJ is taking such an interest in cannabis. Not sure I’d take medical advice and insight from a stockbroker journal. Going to have to look now and see what their take is on Pfizer and J&J.

I don’t necessarily want him out of business. I want to see it moved indoors. The smell of 24,000 plants directly down wind it pretty bad towards the end of July. In the morning or evening with the dew you can’t stand to be outside. It permeates our house and there is just no relief from it.

On the other side we are a small township with little business besides farming. Our tax base needed a boost which the pot licenses brought.

Moving grow operations over into indoor facilities and on commercial property will help tremendously in the tax department and mitigate the smell.

My concern is that they likely won’t be able to afford that move with the current market. It’s a double edged sword that needs more attention.

Our current board is on the take under the table as best I can tell. Everything that favors the pot farms gets approved 5 to 0. Any objections the residents bring is on deaf ears. So he is violating every rule in place with no consequences except bigger payments to the hand under the table. I’m hoping to stop that and bring in some type of balance.

This is one of the conundrums of the legal weed biz. Indoor grow operations are massive energy sucks, and have significant overhead along with detrimental conservation impacts (greenhouse gases, etc). MI's climate is perfect for large outdoor farms, but without meaningful zoning relative to the smell (It's significant) and treating it like an industrial operation, along with siting, odor regulation, etc, the locals living in rural areas zoned for residential ag are going to lose a tremendous amount of quality of life.

I don’t necessarily want him out of business. I want to see it moved indoors. The smell of 24,000 plants directly down wind it pretty bad towards the end of July. In the morning or evening with the dew you can’t stand to be outside. It permeates our house and there is just no relief from it.

On the other side we are a small township with little business besides farming. Our tax base needed a boost which the pot licenses brought.

Moving grow operations over into indoor facilities and on commercial property will help tremendously in the tax department and mitigate the smell.

My concern is that they likely won’t be able to afford that move with the current market. It’s a double edged sword that needs more attention.

Our current board is on the take under the table as best I can tell. Everything that favors the pot farms gets approved 5 to 0. Any objections the residents bring is on deaf ears. So he is violating every rule in place with no consequences except bigger payments to the hand under the table. I’m hoping to stop that and bring in some type of balance.
Think this whole comment speaks to the tax structure of this country and how it benefits commerical landowners.

Grow it on hundreds of acres - pay little property tax. Do the same thing in a metal box - huge tax potential. Comical.

This is one of the conundrums of the legal weed biz. Indoor grow operations are massive energy sucks, and have significant overhead along with detrimental conservation impacts (greenhouse gases, etc). MI's climate is perfect for large outdoor farms, but without meaningful zoning relative to the smell (It's significant) and treating it like an industrial operation, along with siting, odor regulation, etc, the locals living in rural areas zoned for residential ag are going to lose a tremendous amount of quality of life.
Obligatory...
1713904402143.png

Nail on the head. Voters in the not affected or in the city will never know.

Township ordinances govern most all of this. Most are 3 out of 5 votes to approve anything. Fighting an ordnance is extremely difficult as most of the problems go thru the Township Supervisor for resolution. If that person is in favor of the ordnance, which most likely are, there is little hope of change while they are in office.

Township officials in rural America are paid very little for the work they do. It makes a ripe system for these farms to take advantage of.

I had no idea that the smell would be strong from growing/living plants. I thought it was just the burning of the plant that gave off the strong odor.

Interesting that the WSJ is taking such an interest in cannabis. Not sure I’d take medical advice and insight from a stockbroker journal. Going to have to look now and see what their take is on Pfizer and J&J.
I assume you're from from Stevens County. Regardless, on the "news bias spectrum" WSJ is more moderate than a lot of others. I wasn't asking you to agree with everything, but as powerful as ganja apparently is these days, it doesn't hurt to be aware that it can negative effects on certain people.

From one of the linked articles/op eds:

Potent Pot Hurts Kids” (Page One, Jan. 11) highlights the increasing incidence of marijuana-induced psychotic disorders in teenagers. As cannabis potency rises, the risk of severe mental-health issues escalates, particularly among young users. This is a wake-up call for parents who may view marijuana as a harmless rite of passage. Marijuana use can trigger or worsen mental-health disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in adolescents, a group already vulnerable to mental-health challenges.

How do you guys feel about people using it medically?

When my dad was sick and going through radiation and whatever other treatments that came with a buffet of pharmaceuticals the only this thay actually gave him relief from the side effects of the pills and gave him an appetite was weed.

Cannabis oil has shown as a great treatment and preventitive for certain seizures/disorders.

Recreationally it is also apples and oranges compared to alcohol. Alcohol is poison. I'm sure everyone knows someone that ended up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning and could have died.

Countless fights and families ruined over alchohol addiction or the drunken actions of someone.

As far a the smell and people using around children, I don't appreciate when people smoke cigarettes around my kids but somehow that seems to be OK. Everyone should be considerate of others and of course not smoke anything around kids or someone who can't object to being around it.

weed advertisements should be just as acceptable as alchohol.

I do feel for anyone living next to a huge grow, that should be iron out in zoning codes. But the states are definitely drunk on cannabis fees and taxes.

Last edited:
@TwistedSage
I have no issue with it, you do you. A lot of Vets use it for PTSD, I have. It wasn’t for me, but it is for others.

My issue lies with when their rights to grow and use impact my rights. Or when I’m forced to stand next to it in a public space. Your rights shouldn’t trump mine. But with pot it seems that the smell overrides my rights to clean air.

I assume you're from from Stevens County. Regardless, on the "news bias spectrum" WSJ is more moderate than a lot of others. I wasn't asking you to agree with everything, but as powerful as ganja apparently is these days, it doesn't hurt to be aware that it can negative effects on certain people.

From one of the linked articles/op eds:

Potent Pot Hurts Kids” (Page One, Jan. 11) highlights the increasing incidence of marijuana-induced psychotic disorders in teenagers. As cannabis potency rises, the risk of severe mental-health issues escalates, particularly among young users. This is a wake-up call for parents who may view marijuana as a harmless rite of passage. Marijuana use can trigger or worsen mental-health disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in adolescents, a group already vulnerable to mental-health challenges.
Nope. Not Stevens County. Close

And yes. I don’t disagree. I think our world has lots of mental health*** challenges at the moment. And absolutely zero of them are taken seriously by those that can make a difference.

I think there’s a time and a place for it all. Alcohol, weed, hell even social media use***. To each their own, but it’s not the devil Bobby Boushee.

Last edited:
Back