The big CO buck of 2014

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure many of you have seen the trailer to a video that talks about the big buck that Brett Ross of Grand Junction shot this last season. I know we had a thread about it last fall, but I cannot locate it. If you have not seen the trailer, you probably saw a pic of the buck somewhere on Al Gore's internet.

BRett Ross buck.jpg

Brett got in touch with me during the frenzy of activity following the hunt. He was very humble and talked about how he liked our show and really wasn't sure what was the best thing to do with all the crazy offers he had or how to respond to all rumors that were flying around. I didn't have any advice for him, but thanked him for his kind comments about our show and congratulated him on taking the buck. He wrapped up his message with....

I really would like to portray how many years of hard public land non guided meat hunting can pay off for the average everyday hunter like myself. Sometimes providing for the family comes with larger rewards as well. I'd love to hear from you.

If you have not seen the trailer, here is a link.

https://vimeo.com/119184785

I was sent a link to the entire eight minute video that will be available some time next week. I'm not a big "score" guy, so I was not sure what to make of all the buzz surrounding the buck. I think the video was done as well as could be, given much of the interest in this buck is about its size and non-typical formation, which naturally becomes a discussion of scores.

What made me smile in the video is that the hunter seemed to really not care that much about how big the buck was. He admits he was meat hunting and did not even know how big it was when he shot it. When the video is posted, I suspect others will get a chuckle out of the way it is presented, kind of "Wow, look what I found."

When I look at it in the context of all the head hunters running around and getting paid to find huge bucks for outfitters who pay bounties, there seems to be some justice that the buck was taken by a guy out hunting for a cow elk who just happened to have a buck tag in his pocket. And when I look at the posse pictures you normally see, then compare it to a buck taken by a guy who was out meat hunting, it just makes me smile.

I would need a new set of britches if I shot such a buck and I would probably be doing cartwheels and monkey flips. It was nice to see the hunter say "It's Colorado's Deer" and he just gets to be the one who shows it off for a while.

That's a pretty cool story, and it's good to know freak genetics like that are out there, even in units that don't take two decades to draw.....huge congrats to brett

Wow, what a buck! A big congrats to Brett! I sure hope he is able to enjoy the deer without all the negativity from jealous people that comes along with shooting a trophy like that!

That's awesome. Congrats to Brett. Looking forward to the full video.

It's nice to see a big deer like that without a posse attached.

Neat story.

I think it's great that a buck can live to that age and size, without being a pen-freak. It sure gives a guy something to dream about ............ actually I can't even get my dreams that big. What a deer!

I'm very glad that someone as humble as that man, hunting for meat just like I do, getting such a trophy. It brings all this big huntin' business back down to earth. I had the awesome pleasure to hold the John Schmucker Amish buck on many occasions. My dad was the taxidermist for the original mount and a duplicate mount, as well as having a duplicate set of antlers. John, who is amish, is a very humble person. He finally ended up selling the original rack because it was drawing too much attention to him, which is not how they want to live. He donated the money he received to his community.

That's a great story. Congrats to Brett. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had that deer in my scope, I get excited over deer half that size. I think it is awesome when hunters refer to their animals as belonging to the state in which they were shot.

Quite an animal and the guy seems to be well attached to the earth. It's very refreshing to see.

So this buck wasn't in a premium unit?

Very cool story! It's fun to see people like him be successful, though I'm guessing he would have considered his season a success even if that deer wouldn't have walked into his life.

Great, encouraging story! Good to see that people can still be so down-to-earth. Hopefully he can figure out what to do with those antlers and get on with his life!

Yeah that's awesome all the way around. Good for him. And any video trailer that starts off by thanking God for a successful hunt gets a big thumbs up from me.

Back