Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Texas public land?

Idahoarcheryhunter

A change in position at my job may force a move to the Dallas/ft worth area. I’m having a hard time figuring out if hunting public is doable, I know Texas is vastly private and leases are the name of the game. Is it feasible to hunt public or am I stuck shelling out money for a lease? The new job comes with a raise so may be able to slide a lease by my wife, but would like to hunt public if possible. Any info is appreciated.

I’m having a hard time figuring out if hunting public is doable,
Man that's a really subjective question. What does doable mean to you? There's enough public for you to get out and hunt the real question is will you be happy with the quality? For me the answer is almost universally no with some costal duck hunting being the exception. If I was in your shoes I'd be looking hard for a lease. I know a couple fellas who live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area who have leases here in SE Oklahoma. They claim its cheaper to lease here then most places in Texas even when factoring in the NR license. Might be something to think about. Goodluck!

Man that's a really subjective question. What does doable mean to you? There's enough public for you to get out and hunt the real question is will you be happy with the quality? For me the answer is almost universally no with some costal duck hunting being the exception. If I was in your shoes I'd be looking hard for a lease. I know a couple fellas who live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area who have leases here in SE Oklahoma. They claim its cheaper to lease here then most places in Texas even when factoring in the NR license. Might be something to think about. Goodluck!
Appreciate the response, I’m sure the small amounts of public land get pounded. Interesting about the Oklahoma leases versus Texas.

If you are a duck, bird, or small game hunting there more options. Deer, almost none. Some draw hunts but odds are tough. There is some info on the TPWD website. When I hunted Kansas public land a few years there was a guy that drove up from Dallas every year, and did well.

I lived there in the 80s as a student and did OK duck hunting, but no way I could afford deer hunting.

I lived in Dallas for a short while and had the same questions. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the draw hunts. I was able to get onto a couple draw archery hunts and the experience was awesome! I now live in Alabama, job moves me around a lot, but still put in for Texas draw hunts every year for me and my son. Jump into the draws and have fun. Also Colorado and NM are not too far away. JMO

I live in San Antonio and hunt often on public land. Texas has both walk-in public hunts and drawn hunts. A lot depends on what you want to hunt and whether you’re willing to drive a few hours — as others have said, there are lots of opportunities for bird and small game hunting, but far fewer for big game hunting. Still, they’re around if you know where to look, and I’ve killed deer and hogs on public walk-in hunts. I’ve been much more successful with drawn hunts, but you have to apply for a lot of hunts and be patient while building up points. In recent years I’ve been drawn on average for about one hunt per year.

You’ll need an annual public hunting license in addition to your regular hunting license. The good news is that public hunting in Texas is much more simplified than other states.

Deer leases are expensive, but you can also get (relatively) inexpensive day hunts, and you can shoot hogs and exotics all year round.

DM me if you end up moving or if you have more specific questions.

Public is doable, but pretty rough. You'll have better access to public land in the DFW area than in some other areas of the state. Don't forget to check for Army Corps of Engineer opportunities as well. Some of those are not listed on the TPWD website. The draw hunts can be great when you draw them (Unfortunately, I don't know from experience.) If you have kids look into the youth hunting program. I volunteer for them, and the kids can sometimes hunt some awesome ranches and areas through the program. If you want a more consistent and relaxing hunt then leases are definitely the way to go, but plan on paying $3-5K+ per gun, and that's not accounting for corn, RV costs (if that's your thing) and other costs. Of course if you get on a lease with some jerks then it definitely is more hassle than it's worth. I've heard some horror stories there, but it's just like having a bad hunting partner out west. Good luck!

From your handle I’m assuming you’re a big game hunter from Idaho. My advice as a Texas resident (Montana native): Save your lease dollars and use them to return home to Idaho to hunt every fall. You’ll spend less money and have vastly better hunting seasons.

Last edited:
From your handle I’m assuming you’re a big game hunter from Idaho. My advice as a Texas resident (Montana native): Save your lease dollars and use them to return home to Idaho to hunt every fall. You’ll spend less money and have vastly better hunting seasons.
I second this. I dabble in public land hunting in TX, but my main efforts are currently focused on out of state hunts. It's sad to say, but I can have a better hunt for less money.

TX transplant here. When I first moved here I kept on hearing people use the phrase "deer lease". I thought to myself...."what the heck are these people talkin' about?" After a steep learning curve I finally get it.....and don't. Foreign thing to me.

TX transplant here. When I first moved here I kept on hearing people use the phrase "deer lease". I thought to myself...."what the heck are these people talkin' about?" After a steep learning curve I finally get it.....and don't. Foreign thing to me.
Good...

Yes, you can hunt public in Texas but you really have to want to. Odds are horrible for the lottery system but if you cast a wide net, you'll probably get something. Another option that most don't utilize is stand by hunting. You can just show up for these hunts and hope you take someone's spot who didn't show or the hunt offers more opportunities last minute. There are high odds for stand by but you risk wasting vacation time if you aren't drawn.

I have drawn deer hunts, alligator, quail and hog hunts through TPWD.

There is also national forest and grasslands in Texas that you can rifle hunt that are fairly close to Dallas. Sam houston, Davy crockett etc..

Shoot me a PM and we can talk some more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back