Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

talk me in (or out) of a new F250

Sabot

My 150 is turning 10 this year, and I've resisted new truck fever for a looooong time. I will keep my new truck another 10 years if possible. Don't need a suet duty but I like being over gunned and I can afford it. The new 6.7 2nd generation is 440 Hp.

Thoughts? I could get another 150 as this has by far been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Not sure I want the new aluminum model though.

Couple questions:
Do you tow anything ever over 11,000 lbs?
Do you need anything longer than a 6.5 foot bed?
What part of the country are you in? Flat/mountains etc.

I had a 2008 F350 King ranch with the 6.4, bought a 27 foot toy hauler, loaded down with water, fuel etc the trailer was 10k lbs. Towed it without a hiccup, but I was getting 8mpg. Traded the F350 in for a new F150 EcoBoost. Same conditions for towing I was averaging 11-12mpg thru the hills/mountains of Utah. Just cruising I get up to 20mpg, if I stay below 70mph. I have more room in the rear seat than my F350 had, I can tow up to 11k lbs with the max tow package, rides like a cadalliac, and I think it is just a great vehicle.

The EcoBoost is a twin turbo v6 rated at 365hp/420 lb ft of tq.

If you need to tow more weight then yse a diesel is the way to go, but a 35 dollar oil change is way cheaper then a 125 dollar one, and so forth. Annual cost for maintenance is also much cheaper, and a loaded FX4 with maxtow package in a 2014 will be less than 40k. Thats basically a mid model F250 with the 6.7L.

I've been driving both on rough roads daily for years, I've gotten to where the better ride of the 150 sways me that direction. My Super Duty was great for towing/hauling heavy loads, but just beat the crap out of you on rough roads. If you're not towing heavy loads or dealing with brutal roads, just get the one that you want. Have you looked at the Raptor?

I had a 1/2 ton GMC... went to a 3/4 Chevy for the added braking/towing/ect... Really miss my 1/2 ton. The ride was way better and it handled deep snow and mud better.

I think I'd go for a Cummins myself, but if you want the Superduty and can afford it go for it. The maintenence costs will be higher, but if your diesel motor lasts 3x as long as the gasser you'll be ahead in the long run..

I think I'd go for a Cummins myself, but if you want the Superduty and can afford it go for it. The maintenence costs will be higher, but if your diesel motor lasts 3x as long as the gasser you'll be ahead in the long run..
Having used a Cummins for work on the types of roads many of us use for hunting (ie. non-proved 2 track) I don't see myself ever getting one unless the ride gets improved substantially. We didn't have any Fords, but the Chevy's we had road much, much better.

That said, I have yet to need more than a 1/2 ton pickup and my no fake 1/2 ton truck (mumble...Avalanche...mumble). But, I don't have horses or a large camp trailer to tow either.

For me, I can see no need for a 3/4 ton diesel. Unless you are towing something really heavy quite often, I go with a 1/2 ton.

I'd go with the 3/4...as long as it's your money I'm spending.:D

pointer, you're slipping.

I don't think you can say that a 3/4 ton Super Duty will have higher maintenance costs than a 1/2 ton. My 3/4 ton Super Duty is now almost 7 years old and I have a grand total of $0 in maintenance (I am assuming you are not talking oil changes, tire replacement, etc which are all about the same).

I have been thinking about the new gas 3/4 ton Super Duties as well. I will be looking in a couple of years. What are the new ones getting for mileage?

I don't think you can say that a 3/4 ton Super Duty will have higher maintenance costs than a 1/2 ton. My 3/4 ton Super Duty is now almost 7 years old and I have a grand total of $0 in maintenance (I am assuming you are not talking oil changes, tire replacement, etc which are all about the same).

I was referring to routine maintenance, such as oil changes. However, if you can afford a $60k truck, you probably wouldn't have much trouble swinging the oil changes.

As far as ride, I've been completely desensitized.. My daily driver is a 17 year old truck with a cheap suspension lift. Every time someone rides in it, they ask if it's going to fall apart :) I love that truck though..

I keep trucks a long time. My thinking is that there are some things if really like to do in the next 10 years that a diesel would handle a lot better than a gasser. Having said that I love the soft ride of a half ton so I'm on the fence. I think may just go for the big truck just to change it up.

Take a look at the F-150 Eco Diesel. Small but powerful.

I heard a Ford Stealership mechanic tell a friend that the new Ford trucks (F-250 diesels) have the motor buried so deep that they have to take the cab off the truck to work on the engine.

Do some research on the Ford Diesels. We have had a few where I work and they are all complete disasters. Constantly in the shop and it usually costs at least a couple thousand to fix. We have one that has been at the dealership for 4 weeks and still not fixed. My dodge has twice the miles and gets 6 mpg better and never goes to the shop.

That being said, I take our old 2000 denali hunting when I know I will drive a bunch. It soaks up the rough roads much better and I dont' care if it gets beat up. You will find that big 3/4 ton diesels are just big pigs in the mud. Mine weighs over 9,000 pounds and is worthless in the mud even with good tires. With so many county roads and 2 tracks that turn to greasy muddy messes when it rains the lighter truck will likely do better IMO.

Take a look at the F-150 Eco Diesel. Small but powerful.

I heard a Ford Stealership mechanic tell a friend that the new Ford trucks (F-250 diesels) have the motor buried so deep that they have to take the cab off the truck to work on the engine.

Yes. May a Ford has had the cab off just to do repairs. Not cheap and it never goes back together as good as it was originally put together.

MNElkNut;2387132 (I am assuming you are not talking oil changes said:
I wish they were the same. Oil change for a 1/2 ton is only 5-7 quarts and a 3/4 ton diesel is 10+. Obviously costs about twice as much.

Regular 1/2 ton tires are typically less than $200 each and load e 10 ply tires are closer to $300 in some cases. Definitely costs more.

I keep trucks a long time. My thinking is that there are some things if really like to do in the next 10 years that a diesel would handle a lot better than a gasser. Having said that I love the soft ride of a half ton so I'm on the fence. I think may just go for the big truck just to change it up.

I would say go and drive them all and don't make a decision until you've tried all of them, 1/2 and 3/4. I bet you'd be surprised what you like and don't like. As far as needing the towing power in the future, have you EVER needed that kind of towing power? I would say if you don't have definitive plans to buy a 5th wheel or horses in the next 5 years you don't need a diesel. Gas motors get better mileage, the fuel is less expensive, and oil changes are 1/2 the price. I don't see the sense in chucking money into something you MAY use one day. Oh, and call your insurance guy and have him run some quotes to see if there is a rate difference between the two.

I'd tell you what I want but I think you all would laugh at me and call me names and not let me play in the reindeer games!

Last edited:
I wish they were the same. Oil change for a 1/2 ton is only 5-7 quarts and a 3/4 ton diesel is 10+. Obviously costs about twice as much.

Regular 1/2 ton tires are typically less than $200 each and load e 10 ply tires are closer to $300 in some cases. Definitely costs more.

I thought we were originally comparing gas to gas? as for the tires, it depends on the size and quality. Some of the ones on the F150s (aren't they going to 20s on some models?), if you buy a quality tire, are pretty expensive.

But regardless, I don't think you make a decision to go with one over the other due to the cost difference of tires and oil changes over the 10 year timeframe the OP was talking about. If you estimate the mileage wrong by a fraction of a mpg for either model, that will add up to more than that.

I thought we were originally comparing gas to gas? as for the tires, it depends on the size and quality. Some of the ones on the F150s (aren't they going to 20s on some models?), if you buy a quality tire, are pretty expensive.

But regardless, I don't think you make a decision to go with one over the other due to the cost difference of tires and oil changes over the 10 year timeframe the OP was talking about. If you estimate the mileage wrong by a fraction of a mpg for either model, that will add up to more than that.

Ahh. I stand corrected as you would be correct that a gas v8 oil change cost would be similar between 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck. I though we were talking about 3/4 ton diesels.

I see your point on tires but from my experience the 10 plys typically cost a bit more but I've never bought fancy 20" tires so they may be more than the load E 10 plys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back