Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16014

The end of year recap of what worked and didn't is always interesting. Here's a different take.

Rules:
1)You must have used it for 10 or more years of outdoor adventuring. Hunting, backpacking, peak bagging, whatever...
2)No vehicles
3)No firearms
4)If you use it like two days a year that doesn't count
4)Replacement not allowed. For example, if you love your bedazzled, pleather Hushin' pants and the sequins fall off after 5 years, you can't buy new pleather Hushin' pants and then count another 5 years for a total of 10.

If you use stuff hard, even really good equipment can die in <10 years and not be considered a failure. The list will probably be short, which is the point. I have a lot of stuff in the 4-8 years of use range, but not much that I use heavily has lasted 10+. Usually by then a zipper breaks, seam blows out, hinge fails, etc. There are probably a few more, but off the top of my head:

--Valandre Mirage 23* (purchased 2011): I have used the heck out of this bag and it still lofts very well. It's done many nights into the teens. When I bought it, I got in it and the comparably lofted WM and FF bags. To me it was the winner on design and I'd probably do the same again for my preferences, though all are awesome.

--Stone Glacier Sky 5100 (purchased 2013): I have since changed the frame with an updated design, but the bag is original to me and hit year 10. They don't make the bag anymore, haven't for quite a while. It's the perfect size for me and keeps ticking. I will replace with similar when it dies.

--Hilleberg Allak (purchased 2011): I no longer own this one but I recently pm'd with the guy who does, it's still ticking. I used it hard for 8 years personally. You pay the price in $$ and a little weight with Hilleberg, but it does provide value.

--Leica 1600 Rangefinder (purchased 2013): The laser is still consistent. I've never kept it in a case, just riding in a cargo pocket.

--Mammut X-Shot Headlamp (purchased 2012): I'm fairly surprised it has lasted 11 years. Some seasons I've covered nearly as much ground in the dark as in the light, and this has been my primary headlamp all along. The elastic is just starting to show signs of death. It will probably get demoted to dog walking duty.

i think my ULA Circuit just hit 10 years.

It's had a lot of summers of pretty intense use, and several summers of near non use. but it's in fantastic shape. guided backpacking trips for highschool students with it for a summer, countless personal backpacking trips, many many peakbagging trips, and it's even hauled out a few antelope from a couple miles deep. very solid company and products IMO.

my whisperlite gets used a ton. and at about 10 years as well it's hardly even broken in it seems.

Cabelas wooltimate pullover jacket. I know the quality isn't the same now that cabelas is basspro. That is the warmest most comfortable jacket I've ever had. I use it for pretty much everything from November til March from deer hunting to ice fishing. Absolutely love it have had it for probably 13 years.

i think my ULA Circuit just hit 10 years.

It's had a lot of summers of pretty intense use, and several summers of near non use. but it's in fantastic shape. guided backpacking trips for highschool students with it for a summer, countless personal backpacking trips, many many peakbagging trips, and it's even hauled out a few antelope from a couple miles deep. very solid company and products IMO.

my whisperlite gets used a ton. and at about 10 years as well it's hardly even broken in it seems.
Good stuff.

Your ULA reminds me:

--Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter (2011-ish): It was a proto I had made with a few modifications, with the old goofy blue logo, has been my primary recreational backpacking bag ever since.

Leica ultravid 8x42 bought in 2010. No problems. I send them in to Leica to be refurbished about every 3rd year but bulletproof besides that.

Sitka celcius vest and 90 jacket bought them both in 2010. I wear them a lot. They’re bombproof. Constantly scraped against bar wire without a cut anywhere. The 90 zipper needs replaced. That’s it.

Good stuff.

Your ULA reminds me:

--Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter (2011-ish): It was a proto I had made with a few modifications, with the old goofy blue logo, has been my primary recreational backpacking bag ever since.

dang that's cool. there's just something about some of those ultralight companies that really seemed to figure out how to fire on all cylinders.

my older model tarptent protrail would be another contender, but it would be disqualified. I haven't personally used it enough over the course of 10 years i've had it. i put it through the wringer for like the first 3 years of ownership and then it trailed off in use. maybe it qualifies though because i bought it used form a dude that was an outward bound guide and also used it on his colorado trail thru hike 🤷‍♂️

all it's ever needed is some seam seal. very solid product as well IMO. looking to maybe buy another tarptent for hunting specifically. the pro trail is very much a summer early fall tent.

As said on the other thread I have a WM 40-degree bag I bought 20+ years ago that I still use 30ish days a year, pretty sure it's been to 4 continents at this point...
Swarovski EL 10x42's have been with me for 15ish years at this point, I've almost worn through the strap attachments...
Leica LRF 1200 has been flawless for 10+
Kuiu bino harness and Ultra 1800 pack have I think 10 at this point, replaced load lifter straps as I wore completely through them at the buckle but that's it...
I still wear the OG Sitka storefront rain gear a couple of times a year, think I bought that in 06? it's barely breathable, which makes it perfect on those days WP/breathable stuff wets through in 20 minutes.
I have a MHW tent that's pushing 15 years of use, it's relegated to a truck camping tent now because it's way heavy by current standards but it's still bomber...

Does it count if I ended up handing it down to my son so I could buy a shiny new one?

I bought my Stone Glacier Solo bag and frame in 2013 and in 2020 handed it down to my son and got a Sky 6900. The Solo still gets used (maybe even more by my son who had taken it on several backpacking treks), I'm just not the one using it anymore.

Kuiu attack pants. I have bought another pair but still have the original pair that I bought used in 2012 and use them both. Guide Jacket as well. They work well for me.

Cabela's Whitetail Extreme parka and pants. Bought my set God only knows how many years ago in the Bargain Cave on our way home from an Idaho elk hunt. Very warm, comfortable and tough. I finally lost the pull tab off of the parka zipper and made one from twisted wire to fix it. I don't think the current version is the same but mine has been great for cold winters.

Brunton mini backpacking stove. that little sucker has been burning fuel for 15 years now and shows zero sign of slowing down. Love it, never seen another one.

Sleeping bag as well. It has 15 years on it too and for some reason i can't recall its make at the moment, but it still keeps my warm and cozy on every trip. can't bring myself to replace it. Now that i think of it i bought them on the same day. Probably should have bought more that day.....................

MSR Whisperlight.

Takes a licking and keeps in ticking. I’ve even stuck mine in the middle of kindling to get an emergency fire going and was able to pull it out before it going to much and keep rolling.

Mine is relegated to truck duty anymore but it’s always in the truck. It’s been bouncing around since the early 2000’s.

MSR Whisperlight.

Takes a licking and keeps in ticking. I’ve even stuck mine in the middle of kindling to get an emergency fire going and was able to pull it out before it going to much and keep rolling.

Mine is relegated to truck duty anymore but it’s always in the truck. It’s been bouncing around since the early 2000’s.
Forgot the Whisperlight, mine may not get enough use to qualify for the thread but every couple of years it gets to melt snow on a climbing trip for a couple weeks straight, think I bought it in 1999?

Also, a pair of wool bibs from the good ol Cabelas days. They're the ones with windshear (poor man's gore tex). Finally got threadbare in the 'cheeks' after a good 20 plus years of hard use
And a Filson Mackinaw Waistcoat ...the red/black plaid double layered one...at least 25 years. Looks brand new because it has rarely been cold enough to wear.

Spot Hogg Tommy hog
MSR reactor
LED lensor head lamp
Petzl e-light (doesn’t get used that much)
Pristine ventures game bags
Feathered friends penguin 30
Msr dromedary
Platypus big zip
Mountain hardware skyledge 2p (doesn’t get used a ton anymore)
Tight spot quiver

Almost there
AGC bino harness
Carter quickie release

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back