Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

store bought rounds for Ruger M77 mark II

2ski

I went out yesterday to sight in my 270 with some HSM trophy gold 130gr. bullets that I bought and was getting awful groups. Does anyone with the same rifle have any store bought rounds that they've had luck with? I've always bought corelokt for my 243 and had good luck with them, but decided I would try something "better" for my 270. Any suggestions?

Try and find some Federal, Nosler, Winchester, or other brands loaded with some 130 gr. Accubonds. They seem to shoot very well in a lot of different rifles. You just have to experiment with factory stuff, but typically they like to shoot very well.

Everything rifle I have, including my wife's Remington SPS .270, really seems to like Hornady Interlocks. Her .270 shoots 3/4 inch groups with 140 grain American Whitetail. Don't let the price fool you, that's good ammo.

You so might try Fusions. My .308 shoot a those pretty good.

My 30.06 Ruger M77 Mark II shoots CoreLokt ammo really well. All three rounds were touching each other 1" high at 100 yards last fall. That was the best it's ever shot. That ammo and gun also took last year's elk, deer, and bear. Very happy with CoreLokt ammo.

I have the exact same rifle and shoot 130 gr federal trophy bonded tips with good success out it.

What is aweful? May want to check screws and what not as well.

About 3-4 inch groups.

I just had it in to a gunsmith to get taken apart and cleaned so I assume he got everything set correctly. Its a newer gun, only about a box of ammo through it. I had bought the HSM's and went out to sight it in. When I went to close the bolt, the rounds were a little long and I had to put a little oomf to get the bolt shut. Without shooting, I ejected the round and the bullet seated into the barrel while the brass came out, leaving a bunch of powder in the gun. So I cleaned it really well, but was unable to get all the powder out of the little crevices around the barrel. So I took it to a gunsmith to have him take it apart and clean. Called HSM and they sent me a new box of bullets that were slightly shorter. I didn't want anyone to think I couldn't clean my own guns. I just don't have the knowledge to take them apart and clean them.

Try Federal Fusions. Bonded core bullet, reasonable price. Have shot well for me in my 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08, 243, 6.8 SPC, 223, 308 and even 30-30!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back