South Dakota Black Hills

It depends where you go and over the years it changes. I have hunted every year near Newcastle on the SD side for almost 20 years now. It used to be primarily whitetail there but now is a good mix of both. Same thing on the eastern side of the hills where I grew up (Sturgis/Piedmont area) but I would say there are more whitetail there. Southern hills is known for more muleys than the northern end, at least it used to be. The buck population has gone up over the years due to point restrictions for the rifle hunters but Black Hills bucks are mostly basket racks. There are some nice ones too though especially near private ranch/agrcultural areas.

It is a mix of both. Each year my group sees more and more mulies. We have yet to see a really large mulie but we see a lot of them. My group goes every other year smack dab in the middle of the Hills and primarily hunt whiteys. However, if a mulie is unfortnate to come within range, we'll take him!:)

I echo what bowhntr mentioned. I haven't hunted deer in the Hills for 10 years, but with better buck management there are better deer coming out. Used to be OTC, but now with the drawing you don't have to put up with a Minn. suburban around every bend.;) :D Ninty percent of the deer I found in the Hills were whiteys, but there are pockets of mulies if you know where to look. Best of luck. I sent in for the first time as a NR last year, but didn't draw. Hopefully this year will be different.

bowhntr, I grew up in Piedmont/Sturgis as well. Small world I guess. Piedmont is probably a lot like Tempe.;) :D

I'm a new transplant to Piedmont. I'd guess locally I see 80% whitetail. I've yet to see a great buck on the hoof in the Hills either wt or muley. However, I did find a matched set of sheds last week that shows there is at least one very nice whitetail living darned near in my backyard, and I've never even seen him.

For quantity, lots of deer here. If its quality you're after, this isn't the place.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back