Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sons First Duck Hunt

nbell

My son is 9 years old, and this is going to be his first season hunting. My dog is 13, and has cancer pretty bad, this is going to be his last hunt. My emotions were pretty high for the weekend. Last weekend was a two day season for junior hunters, so I made the run 3 hours west to the Moses Lake area where there is some public land to try and get my two favorite boys some birds. The weather was ridiculous hot, but we gave it our best. We had quite a few birds moving through the morning, and my boy got to shoot at quite a few birds in the decoys, but wasn't able to knock anything out of the sky. Here they are in the middle of the day
photo2.JPG
About midday, I had noticed a lot of birds all going into the same hole 3-400 yards from where we were set up, so we picked up the decoys and moved over there. We immediately had birds working the decoys, but were landing way short on us. The boys got to be tired, so they decided to take a nap.
photo5.JPG
By the end of the day, he had some shooting in, but not birds to show for it. We did learn where the birds were going though, so I had very high hopes for the next day. The next morning, we got set up and ready to go.
photo3.JPG
There were a few birds milling around, and a couple tried to land in the decoys, but we had the same results as the day before. My son was starting to get frustrated that he wasn't hitting any birds. I kept telling him it was okay, and he would only get better as he hunted more. The hunting had died, and there were almost no birds moving in the heat. All of the sudden out of the corner of my eye I catch a group of 20 or so teal screaming towards the decoys just a few feet off the water. I told my son get ready, when I said get up and shoot, he jumped up and swung at the birds which appeared to be doing 200mph across the decoys. As soon as he shot, right out of the middle of the group one fell. He didn't even shoot again, all he could do was jump up and down with excitement. My poor old dog jumped in after the bird with just a broken wing. As the bird swam, I began to wonder if Toby was going to be able catch it, and if he did, if he would be able to make it back to shore. I started to run for the boat to go help my dog. Before I could get there, my son was shouting what a good dog he was. I hurried back to see the poor old guy trying to get out of the water as my son tried to help. Here they are with my sons first bird, and my dogs last.
photo.JPG
Just a little hen green wing teal, and a routine retrieve, but probably will be the one I remember most from a spectacular dog who is going to be retired now, and probably gone in a month or two. On Monday, I took the little bird and my son up to the taxidermist to drop the bird off, as this will go down as one of the very best hunts I will ever be able to have.

That is so cool to have two memorable moments in one hunt. Congratulations to your son on his first duck. I remember the first one I shot hitting the water and it was awesome. And to your dog I wish a happy retirement. I'm sure he's earned it over all the retrieves he has done over the years. Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Makes me wish I had a Lil one to take out.

That little bird made some big memories I bet.

nbell your story story hits really close to home, so it is with extra moisture in my eyes I say to all three of you gents: great story.

Great story - thank you for sharing. The changing of generations documented this way really brings out the emotions.

Way cool. Sharing the experience with loved ones and friends is what it's all about.

That is a great story, too bad dogs age so fast, I am in the same boat with my black lab.

Enjoy because before you know it he will be headed out the door.

Nemont

Thanks for sharing. Cool pictures too. When my dog got cancer really bad I let him hunt at the local Mcdonalds. He was pretty good at finding the extra cheese burger I would hide at the lake:) It as summer so I couldn't take him hunting.

Thanks for sharing the story. Bitter and sweet. Smiles and wet eye.

Glad you went to the taxidermist. Bird and pics should ride to together on the wall for a long time.

Gotta be one of the best posts of the year, Thanks for sharing. Had to have been a great, but emotional day. Good decision on getting it mounted. My only son has been off to college for 2 years now, but every time I look at the mount of the elk he shot at 13.....I am right back there on the mountain.

Super story! I know it's not much of a consolation, but opening a new chapter can help lessen the sting of closing an old one. Thanks for sharing!

That is an awsome story. A hunt with your two best friends. Its to bad your boy wont hunt with the dog anymore. You know Christmas isn't to far away. maybe its time for your boy to have a dog of his own to make memories with.

What a poignant thread. It hits home for many of us long time bird hunters. Kids grow up too fast and dogs don't live nearly long enough. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the replies. Once the excitement of the first bird was gone, I had to take a walk by myself just to let the tears out. That dog has retrieved well over a thousand birds for me, and I am not sure where to go now. I know if I get a new dog, I will expect it to be as perfect as this one, and that isn't fair to a new dog. I am dreading the day we loose Toby, as he has slept at the foot of my sons bed since the day he was born, and those two are the best of friends. Not sure who it will be harder on, my son or me. Words can't explain how happy I was that he got to retrieve a bird for my son.

Happy hunting this season to everyone. This is going to be one of the best seasons ever watching my son get his first animals, but one of the worst ever, having to do it all without my first true hunting partner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back