Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sold Fur last week

174in

Dad and I got our furs together and sold them last week in Illinos.The fur truck that comes this way cancelled the route because of the weather. Pretty happy with the turn out all fur was green nothing stretched and dried we sold 250 muskrats for a $9.99 average,Had a few coon from our mink sets,we sold 41 for $16.75 average and sold 19 mink for close to a $17.00 average there was a handfull of females in that batch that brought the average down on them.Also had some misc beaver and possum.
004-6.jpg

007-2.jpg

Wow, mink have really dropped in prices through the years. I never thought a mink would be the same price as a coon

Wow, mink have really dropped in prices through the years. I never thought a mink would be the same price as a coon

Mink have been touchy. I sold alot of mink for $12.00 in the past until last year. averaged $24.00 last year that was good compared to other years.This year $24.00 was tops but the females we had only brought $8.00-$12.00 that brought down the average.2 of our coon sold for $35.00 each wich was the best price I had ever gotten for a coon.

Very Impressive!! I must say your "shop" looks like a Doctors office, very nice!!

Nice haul. I've been in the Midwest and SE a time or two and have been around a few possums. Is a possum really worth skinning? I lived in Tennessee for over a year before I figured out that they weren't born dead on the side of the road. I've never seen something turn to a grease spot so fast in my life. I can only imagine how greasy they are to skin..................

Maybe this shows my naivety, but what can they do with possum fur? Underwear for Colorado State University fans is about the only thing I can come up with???????????????? :eek:

Thanks
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Nice haul. I've been in the Midwest and SE a time or two and have been around a few possums. Is a possum really worth skinning? I lived in Tennessee for over a year before I figured out that they weren't born dead on the side of the road. I've never seen something turn to a grease spot so fast in my life. I can only imagine how greasy they are to skin..................

Maybe this shows my naivety, but what can they do with possum fur? Underwear for Colorado State University fans is about the only thing I can come up with???????????????? :eek:

Thanks
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

They make nice mittens other than that I havnt seen much else made out of them. Sold possums for 25cents for the black ones(wont be skinning those again).The other ones were bought for $2.00 a peice they make up for some gas money.With my short 7 mile line this year 1 possum would pay my gas price for the day.They are not nearly as greasy as a coon but they do smell worse than a coyote.

Hey mister, who took home the Bronze Boot this year?! Oh, wait.......:eek::(

Maybe this shows my naivety, but what can they do with possum fur?

I know they are mixing a lot of the possum with merino the make some very soft and warm garments in NZ, but that is using kiwi possum and maybe different fibres to you guys possums. I am waiting for the first hunting company to bring out a possum/merino blend camo base layer...would be very good to hunt in!!

As for the mink prices. I got a mate who is a mink farm in denmark, and his prices are skyrocketing the last few sales. Plenty of buyers for his fur from Russia and China and plenty of people knocking on the door wanting to do cash sales for large quantaties (of course illegal and not allowed, but just shows the demand)

I think when he was hunting with us recently, he said he was getting around 75 US per mink, not sure, that figure sounds familiar, but he apparently has a really good grade of fur.

Maybe this shows my naivety, but what can they do with possum fur?

I know they are mixing a lot of the possum with merino the make some very soft and warm garments in NZ, but that is using kiwi possum and maybe different fibres to you guys possums. I am waiting for the first hunting company to bring out a possum/merino blend camo base layer...would be very good to hunt in!!

As for the mink prices. I got a mate who is a mink farm in denmark, and his prices are skyrocketing the last few sales. Plenty of buyers for his fur from Russia and China and plenty of people knocking on the door wanting to do cash sales for large quantaties (of course illegal and not allowed, but just shows the demand)

I think when he was hunting with us recently, he said he was getting around 75 US per mink, not sure, that figure sounds familiar, but he apparently has a really good grade of fur.

Thanks for the pictures, plenty of hard work involved there!!

The farm mink around here are like a different species, much bigger and all sorts of colors. Might explain the difference.

Nice catch.I'm surprised at the coon prices.Never got my line out this year.After hurricane Sandy hit, I've been helping people fix their roofs one after another.I still have a few more to do yet.May go try and find cat tracks today though and fill that tag.New snow will help with that and keep me off a roof
Next year, I'll get back after them.Trapping is so much fun and peaceful.I really miss not getting any out this year.You did great;makes me jealous

Very nice and congrats! How do you store green furs like that until you sell them? I ran out of leave this year, but am hoping to get into trapping on my own place (3.5hrs from home) next year.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back