NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Sold Fur last week

Very nice and congrats! How do you store green furs like that until you sell them? I ran out of leave this year, but am hoping to get into trapping on my own place (3.5hrs from home) next year.

Lay them as flat as possible in the frezzer.I lay them in a box just be carfull not to stack to many furs on top of each other at one time or you will get spoilage.Once they freeze up good stacking them on top of each other isnt a problem.My dad found out the hard way and put one of his mink under a few coon and it spoiled.

Good job! I hope that our rats do well at NAFA in February. You did a fine job skinning those critters. Is Groenwald the one that bought them?

Ranch mink has gone extremely high. I saw some up in the $150 range last spring. That is what makes rats so valuable. They use the cheaper rats for stuff that mink would normally go for. Wild mink prices seem to fluctuate a lot, but still are usually worth trapping. We just don't have lots of them here unfortunately.

I'm headed to Az this weekend to do some calling with a buddy from Prescott for a few days. I hope to have a bunch of hides to put up when I get home.

My BIL asked me to run a trapline for him when he was in college studing for a career in Wildlife Conservation, shoot yeah! So as only a kid 15 can do who has no idea how to trap, I set me up a trap line.....I got Beaver Toe one morning, then my big payday...three skunks in a row! Did I mention that I wasn't suppose to shoot them, yeah.....so I sneak up on the first one with the ol craftsman hammer and we play Peek a Boo with my face and his Butt! Finally I go a good swing in and Dang! One skunk in a plastic bag. I cut a long sapling and cut the fork in the top to push the next 2 skunks out of the traps, one skunk goes a long way.
It didn't end there with my foolishness, I put the skunk on the carrier of a 1963 Cushman Eagle and headed to the house to get ready for school. I double wrapped the skunk and put it in the Freezer for Hurmon to pick up that weekend.....man every steak we ate for a while had a twang! Good times! John

Good job! I hope that our rats do well at NAFA in February. You did a fine job skinning those critters. Is Groenwald the one that bought them?

Ranch mink has gone extremely high. I saw some up in the $150 range last spring. That is what makes rats so valuable. They use the cheaper rats for stuff that mink would normally go for. Wild mink prices seem to fluctuate a lot, but still are usually worth trapping. We just don't have lots of them here unfortunately.

I'm headed to Az this weekend to do some calling with a buddy from Prescott for a few days. I hope to have a bunch of hides to put up when I get home.

Yep I sold to Groenwald.Your rats should do real good at NAFA as long as the market stays strong wich I am sure it will from what I am hearing they cant get enough rats.I maybe should have held on to mine for a little longer,I read that a sale in michigan the other day bought rats for a $16.00 average stretched and dried. Still I was real happy with almost $10.00 for our rats wich some were early and none stretched and dried. Good luck with your sale let us know how NAFA does for you.Really starting to think I should learn how to flesh and stretch so I can send my stuff up there,I just need to find the time.With the 2 young ones at home I had do most my trap check right after work in the morning or after dark when the wife got home from her job. It did keep the line short and close to home though so I didnt burn alot of gas wich is a good thing now days.

Lay them as flat as possible in the frezzer.I lay them in a box just be carfull not to stack to many furs on top of each other at one time or you will get spoilage.Once they freeze up good stacking them on top of each other isnt a problem.My dad found out the hard way and put one of his mink under a few coon and it spoiled.
Thanks for the info!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back