Snack stick question

LukeDuke

So I just took my first round of snack sticks off the smoker. They were on for close to 4 hrs at 180. Brought the internal temp of the stick to 165. That outer skin is a a bit tougher than what I would like. I wonder if I went too long or if maybe it’s just the type of skin. I used a collagen casing from Bearded Butchers. Overall the process was pretty smooth and the flavor is great. Just need to dial in the casing part. Any tips?

I think i just tried them too soon and didn’t let them cool enough. I pulled a pack out of the freezer today and after they thawed out, they were perfect. Now each kid wants a “special batch”…lol.

I think i just tried them too soon and didn’t let them cool enough. I pulled a pack out of the freezer today and after they thawed out, they were perfect. Now each kid wants a “special batch”…lol.
Did you emerse them into an ice water bath as soon as they came off the smoker?

It also helps them tougher type casings if you put your smoker on the lowest setting for at least an hour, then turn it up gradually. It may take a little more time to reach internal temp to 165 but no big deal in long run.

Did you emerse them into an ice water bath as soon as they came off the smoker?
No, I didn’t do that, but it was in the 20’s outside and we had to get to volleyball so I just covered them and let them cool on the back deck for about an hr. I read how some guys spritz them with water, some give them an ice bath, and some just let them cool on their own. That’s the route I tried this time.

Yep, ice bath sets the casing and rehydrate it a bit. Plus it gets the grease off and you end up with a better product.

It needs that shock to not have the experience you had.

After 20 min or so pull them out and wipe off with a clean towel. Lay them out on your kitchen table for about a hour to air dry, then package.

Yep, ice bath sets the casing and rehydrate it a bit. Plus it gets the grease off and you end up with a better product.

It needs that shock to not have the experience you had.

After 20 min or so pull them out and wipe off with a clean towel. Lay them out on your kitchen table for about a hour to air dry, then package.
Appreciate the info. Will try that next time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back