Single Bevel Broadhead

@TrumpkinTheDwarf you aren't wrong.
I liked the idea of a two blade so I can sharpen it the same way I can my knives. Seems like a good way to maintain my equipment a little better and I already strop most of my Convex Blades. If they made a Convex Edge I would get it but it doesn't seem like they make one.
So I figured at least with the single bevel I can Strop better/easier so that I can sharpen and maintain.

I do think some broadheads are better - I don't like my OCD Bloodtherapys though so want to get something new. If I got a single I'll look for a model with a bleeder probably.
I also like the Cutthroat because I've only ever caught one and that fella fought like a Steelhead - I thought I had a Coho Salmon on the line.

I shoot same poundage and draw weight here in Oz. Have shot predominantly single bevel broadheads for last 15 years. We have some great choices here without breaking the bank. The US options way out of my price point if you're shooting a dozen hogs a day and you're on the right track with easy to sharpen. Have used same broadhead for 9 big hogs with a touch up in between each.
Current arrow with 125gn single bevel is spot on 500gn. Main target here is hogs, which can be a tough critter - taken hundreds with this combination. If you poke a hole through an important bit with any broadhead, it will do the job.

Looking at the Cutthroat 3 blades, or possibly Iron Will with Bleeders.
I just don't want to drop $240 for 6 heads with Iron Will.

Cutthroat would still be $140 with 3 blades or $156

Helix is $90

Kudu $100 without bleeders and $120 with Bleeders.

Looking at the Cutthroat 3 blades, or possibly Iron Will with Bleeders.
I just don't want to drop $240 for 6 heads with Iron Will.

Cutthroat would still be $140 with 3 blades or $156

Helix is $90

Kudu $100 without bleeders and $120 with Bleeders.
if you just want fixed 3-blade, why not something simple and old school? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007438233?pid=176575
The SS are almost impossible to sharpen, but the CS are much easier, a fraction the price, and durable enough to shoot through a critter. I fairly sure I had at least 2 that went through multiple critters, but I'm pretty terrible at keeping track of that stuff.

if you just want fixed 3-blade, why not something simple and old school? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007438233?pid=176575
The SS are almost impossible to sharpen, but the CS are much easier, a fraction the price, and durable enough to shoot through a critter. I fairly sure I had at least 2 that went through multiple critters, but I'm pretty terrible at keeping track of that stuff.
Love my montecs. As simple as it gets, and I can always trust them to do what I ask. Can't imagine paying 30 dollars more a pack for the cutt 3 blades but that's just me.

I ran down the rabbit hole of heavy arrows and single bevel heads. In my experiences which usually includes 2-4 animals (mostly deer) a year with archery equipment. I have found that a good cut on contact blade is worth more than a really heavy arrow. Unless you're shooting seriously big game, like cape buffalo, which is where the ashby foundation did a lot of their testing and concluded that the heavier the better for penetration.

A heavy setup penetrates really well, but you need to be right on with your yardages because of the extreme drop compared to a lighter setup. There's a super solid middle ground I've found between like 500-550 grain total weight that gives you speed and great penetration with a cut on contact broadhead. It's forgiving if the animal comes a few yards closer or further, but still carries weight to penetrate really well.

The past couple of years I shot 2 blade broadheads with bleeders and killed a handful of deer with them. They work, but you have to put the time in to tuning your bow and making sure each arrow is tuned for those larger broadheads.

Because I can never stop changing things, I picked up a couple packs of these to try this year. The overall length is short, they are affordable, and shouldn't be tough to get shooting just like field points.

I watch this guy on youtube called Lusk Archery Adventures. He tests tons of different broadheads. These ranked really highly in his testing so I figured I'd give them a shot.

I have been all the way down the rabbit hole and back on high FOC heavy arrows with single bevel broadheads (Iron Wills). My conclusion is that whether you should use them or not DEPENDS... There are so many factors that play into your decision to go with higher FOC and single bevel heads. I would say penetration is a pro, but generally, blood trails can be a drawback. I prefer a fixed three blade in most instances for larger game and for smaller whitetails in the south I have had great success shooting expandables. Each has pros and cons.

I mostly wanted something I could strop and realized Iron WIll makes a 2 blade plus bleeder double bevel.
Ordered one S125 and one wide 125 to test them out.
Excited for the results.

Check out tradlab who did lots of broadhead testing. He does product and industrial testing for a living.
Most important factors were shooter skill>bow and arrow tune>Broadhead sharpness> Broadhead design was lowest on importance...

I started shooting 3 blade vpa this year so I could sharpen them on wheels on my bench grinder. Put one through my elk and the followup shot embedded in the opposite shoulder. Needed pliers to get it out.
Compress_20240126_185615_5179.jpgCompress_20230901_215620_0294.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back