Ship to or rent equipment while in Alaska?

Toofdoc

Hi
Not sure exactly hunting related…

Looking for some opinions on whether to ship my fishing equipment to Alaska or just rent stuff like waders, rods, terminal tackle. I’ll be with my family and since we have 4 kids it may get expensive buying/renting gear up there.

We will likely go on a guided boat fishing trip for a day (gear would then be provided)but after that we’d try out some river fishing for the the king salmon run or whatever is in season. We will be up there at the end of June.

So are shipping rates better than buying renting gear up there in general?

Thx

We'll be in the Anchorage area when we fly in, Kenai Peninsula will be our likely focus after that.

Yes, your point about checking in more bags came to mind, I'll look in to that as far as weight/size restrictions and of course cost.

It's just that I hear that everything in AK costs an arm and a leg and at some point other alternatives make more sense. I just don't know what I don't know starting out.

Do you already have all the gear you need??? If not, is it gear that you would continue to use where you live? If no to either one of those questions, renting might be a viable option. Check out https://www.alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com. This looks like a pretty reasonable option for renting gear. You are right about pricing, things do cost more up here. Availability can be a challenge as well.

ADFG's website is a wealth of knowledge. They do a fantastic job of tracking salmon numbers in all the major rivers. Late June, you're probably going to be targeting Sockeye, which are an absolute blast! Remember one thing, you won't be alone! Thats grocery getting season up here and if the run is strong, you will have friends. That said, the rudest people I've come across on the river are folks from out of state. Don't be shy, if you have questions, ask the guy or gal next to you.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/

Bring your binos!!!! The drive from Anchorage to Soldotna is absolutely breathtaking! And more often than not both Mt Goats and Dall Sheep can easily be spotted along the way. While driving down Turnagain Arm, scanning the mountain side will often turn up sheep and there are multiple pull outs available. Beluga point is probably one of the better spots. Once you get out on the Kenai Peninsula, Goats can be seen at Tern Lake, where the Seward Highway and Sterling Highway split. Then further down at Cooper Landing Goats and Sheep can be seen.

What's the age range of your kids? The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is pretty cool. Kinda zooish, but you'll get to see all the animals of AK up close. if you can make it over to Seward, the Alaska SeaLife Center is cool as well. Honestly, this list goes on and on. I know your post was geared towards fishing gear, but DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BE A TOURIST!!! This place is amazing! And unless you plan on coming back again, try to see what you can see. Within the limits of your children, LOL! Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions!

Do you already have all the gear you need??? If not, is it gear that you would continue to use where you live? If no to either one of those questions, renting might be a viable option. Check out https://www.alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com. This looks like a pretty reasonable option for renting gear. You are right about pricing, things do cost more up here. Availability can be a challenge as well.

ADFG's website is a wealth of knowledge. They do a fantastic job of tracking salmon numbers in all the major rivers. Late June, you're probably going to be targeting Sockeye, which are an absolute blast! Remember one thing, you won't be alone! Thats grocery getting season up here and if the run is strong, you will have friends. That said, the rudest people I've come across on the river are folks from out of state. Don't be shy, if you have questions, ask the guy or gal next to you.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/

Bring your binos!!!! The drive from Anchorage to Soldotna is absolutely breathtaking! And more often than not both Mt Goats and Dall Sheep can easily be spotted along the way. While driving down Turnagain Arm, scanning the mountain side will often turn up sheep and there are multiple pull outs available. Beluga point is probably one of the better spots. Once you get out on the Kenai Peninsula, Goats can be seen at Tern Lake, where the Seward Highway and Sterling Highway split. Then further down at Cooper Landing Goats and Sheep can be seen.

What's the age range of your kids? The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is pretty cool. Kinda zooish, but you'll get to see all the animals of AK up close. if you can make it over to Seward, the Alaska SeaLife Center is cool as well. Honestly, this list goes on and on. I know your post was geared towards fishing gear, but DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BE A TOURIST!!! This place is amazing! And unless you plan on coming back again, try to see what you can see. Within the limits of your children, LOL! Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions!
This is one awesome reply!!! Thank you for your thoughtful response and the time it took. I will re-read this several times to use as preparation for our upcoming trip!🙏🙏

We'll be in the Anchorage area when we fly in, Kenai Peninsula will be our likely focus after that.

Yes, your point about checking in more bags came to mind, I'll look in to that as far as weight/size restrictions and of course cost.

It's just that I hear that everything in AK costs an arm and a leg and at some point other alternatives make more sense. I just don't know what I don't know starting out.

Get the credit card for the airline you are going to fly, most will cover 1st checked bag for all on the itinerary. For example Alaska airline credit card will cover cardholder + 6 others on the same itinerary first checked bag. $95 annual fee but there are other benefits as well.

Sockeye, (Reds) will be fishing at that time. Kings are getting scarce, wouldn't be at all surprised if they shut down fishing for them.
As noted, you'll have plenty of company fishing for Reds. Spool with 15 pound mono, better yet 20 to 30 pound braid. You'll not make friends if you can't quickly land your fish.
Have fun Alaska is fantastic.
Guided trip your guide/Captain will have the gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back