Sharing the wealth?

I've offered meat to every person that has helped pack for me and I don't think I've ever had one take my offer. I do give some away whenever I can though to family and friends. I've never thought of asking for meat just because I helped pack it out for someone else.

I helped a friend pack a goat out of the Tobacco Roots once. He offered me some meat and I took him up on his offer. I wish I hadn't and it has nothing to do with pride.:eek:

If you like elk then you know that not all elk are created equal. I think the wannabe-Connoisseur in me is always curious how an elk will actually taste compared to personal theories related to geography, age, and sex. So tasting as many different elk as I can is something I enjoy.

I'll offer, I'll accept offers. I wouldn't ever ask, but would not be offended if someone did. Do you appreciate the help with the packout? Do you think your friend would appreciate the meat? Would you appreciate the meat? Anything beyond those questions is reading way too far into it.

Last edited:
In all seriousness I have a family group that I hunt with that we have always pre discussed that everything will be split evenly whether it's camp duties, packing duties, butchering or meat. I certainly have no problem with that. I also have a number of friends that I hunt with who would never even consider sharing and I'm also perfectly fine with that.
As long as you're not the guy who expects help on his then disappears when it's time to help with someone else it should all come out in the wash. I call those guys (users).
It's always the same guy who is the first to ask for gas money when he drives and the last to offer gas money when you do.

I'm such an asshole that no one hunts with me. :)

Problem solved.

I'm surprised - I always offer some to my hunting partners and they always take some - half if they help pack it out. They aren't super dedicated hunters, however. Plus they stop hunting and help me bone it out. Come to think of it, they've never shot an elk when I'm around*. Freeloading bastards. JLS, you want to go hunting? :D

(Not entirely true, one guy I was with got two elk and offered me one but it turned out I had more than I needed.)

I hunt with the hit-less wonder, so we split, though it's usually like a 60:40 ratio, though I've never weighed it out. He also helps with the processing, at least on elk. I don't think I'd take any if he offered, at least not more than a couple packs of steaks.

If I pull the trigger, I'll be a Bernie Sanders and share. If I don't pull the trigger, I'll be an Ayn Rand and demand nothing. Being outside and pushing my mind and body is its own reward.

I'm such an asshole that no one hunts with me. :)

Problem solved.

Same boat and happy!
I share more than half my take with neighbors every year tho.
And reap the benefit of a few laughs at least once a month,a good meal and dessert to take home!

Too many variables. Do they usually kill one or more in their household anyway? Do they pack out your meat?
I wouldn't expect to get another guys venison if I didn't pack it out, or if me or my kid already filled a tag even if i did help him pack it out..

Thanks for all the replies! There is obviously a story behind the question, so in summary....I always hunt with the same crew; 3 friends. We have hunted elk for 3 years. Last year I shot my first Elk; nobody else was successful or has been successful in those 3 yrs. All helped pack a load to camp...about 1 mile. The remaining few days in camp, while they were out hunting, I cooked up steaks for them for supper. On return home, I kept about half and gave them the rest. I have also had their families over no less than 5 times for elk dinners since. Anyway, one of the wives has mentioned to my wife that they feel their share wasn't enough. So, this year when I shoot my 2nd elk, I want to make sure I'm being fair and give each friend enough. It has and always will be my plan to share the wealth of my success, but I for one would never ask, nor expect another persons kill. I'll gladly help pack, cut, clean, etc and not expect a thing in return...well maybe just to share a beer or two with the successful hunter/friend.

Last edited:
That takes some nerve, taking part of your elk then complaining that you weren't given enough. I'm a sharing kind of guy, but I may not have reacted well to that.

Man, I'm going back and thinking about all the packing help I've gotten and am wondering if I pissed anyone off by not offering meat.

It's never even crossed my mind. Likewise, I've never even considered getting meat off a friend's kill that I've helped pack out.

I've shared a lot of meat with friends and family, but whether or not they helped me pack meat hasn't figured into whether or not I'm willing to share with them.

As far as packing help goes, I've always just figured buddies help buddies pack meat, that's part of hunting together.

I'd probably get together and talk to them about it. Also most may not realize how small 1/4 of a cut/wrapped elk is. This will give you guys a chance to predetermine what's fair. If nothing else make him say his opinion to your face because your side of the story sounds pretty fair to me.

Thanks for all the replies! There is obviously a story behind the question, so in summary....I always hunt with the same crew; 3 friends. We have hunted elk for 3 years. Last year I shot my first Elk; nobody else was successful or has been successful in those 3 yrs. All helped pack a load to camp...about 1 mile. The remaining few days in camp, while they were out hunting, I cooked up steaks for them for supper. On return home, I kept about half and gave them the rest. I have also had their families over no less than 5 times for elk dinners since. Anyway, one of the wives has mentioned to my wife that they feel their share wasn't enough. So, this year when I shoot my 2nd elk, I want to make sure I'm being fair and give each friend enough. It has and always will be my plan to share the wealth of my success, but I for one would never ask, nor expect another persons kill. I'll gladly help pack, cut, clean, etc and not expect a thing in return...well maybe just to share a beer or two with the successful hunter/friend.

Sounds to me like you need to have an honest chat with your friend/friend's wife about being appreciative.

I'd probably get together and talk to them about it. Also most may not realize how small 1/4 of a cut/wrapped elk is. This will give you guys a chance to predetermine what's fair. If nothing else make him say his opinion to your face because your side of the story sounds pretty fair to me.

People think there are a lot more steaks on an elk than there really are so it is easy to feel shorted even if you got your fair share.

The guys I hunt with and help on pack outs don't generally share meat. Unless it's at the end of the season and we know someone's freezer is getting low. However, when the word comes in that an elk is down, everyone makes it a priority to show up and give a hand.

I helped pack out Randy11's goat while he sat around camp and ate my Mountain House meal. The only meat he offered was a couple slices of charred goat tenderloin....IMG_3760.jpg But hey, I'm not bitter or anything. I doubt it crosses my mind more than five or six times a day. :cool:

Man, I'm going back and thinking about all the packing help I've gotten and am wondering if I pissed anyone off by not offering meat.

It's never even crossed my mind. Likewise, I've never even considered getting meat off a friend's kill that I've helped pack out.

I've shared a lot of meat with friends and family, but whether or not they helped me pack meat hasn't figured into whether or not I'm willing to share with them.

As far as packing help goes, I've always just figured buddies help buddies pack meat, that's part of hunting together.

I'm right there with you! I've never turned down anybody that needed help and have never expected anything in exchange.

Another facet of this subject given the rarity and reputation of elk meat delicacy here in the flatlands is people who ask if they can 'try some'.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back