Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell me on a CO legal muzzleloder

Absolutely! I am very excited about getting mine all put together and stained. Just need the time to do it now!
Would really like to see a thread of its own describing the build process once you get it finished. If they had a fur trapper-style Hawken kit, I'd probably be ordering one right now.

Would really like to see a thread of its own describing the build process once you get it finished. If they had a fur trapper-style Hawken kit, I'd probably be ordering one right now.
I hadn't considered doing a write up on it, but it does sound like fun. I will probably do just that! It would be fun to document the build from start to finish including my first hunt using it.

Thanks for the idea!

I’ve seen a couple used Remington model 700 muzzleloaders that I really liked. I can say I’ve never shot one but definitely peaked my interest. A CVA is tough to beat though and definitely put the Williams peep on it for CO as others have mentioned. I have the Williams peep on my flintlock and it’s crazy how big the improvement is. I put a globe front on with a crosshair and accuracy is much better.

I have owned and hunted with the following: Hawken-50 & 54 cal; TC, Remington, and Traditions Strike-fire. I really liked the Traditons ! Easy in everyway---for me.

I want to increase tag draw opportunity. I like archery but wouldn’t mind opening up the options a bit more. I do not necessarily have a budget I am looking to keep under but just want a good, reliable muzzleloader. The one that stands out after scanning scheels website is the traditions Hawken. I don’t mind the weight and would rather have a long term, nice gun than a cheap plastic one.
It depends on what state you are hunting in. The regs on what is legal covers the gamut. For instance, at least the last time I checked, the only thing legal in Montana is a Davey Crockett special - roundball, black powder (or substitute), percussion cap, and iron sights. I have a CVA configured as such and love it. But its' a 75 yard rig at best. Other places you have more options. Like the Pro Hunter with inline ignition, sabot bullets, and scope. That rig takes me out to 150 yards. Both have respectable accuracy when limited to their effective ranges.

So to start with, you need to narrow "the best" down to the state you want to hunt in. That will define your options. In any case, most muzzleloaders out there will do the job. They are only one-shot deals anyway. They are all still a primitive weapon (technically though that can be argued well nowadays). Whatever fits your budget that is legal would probably work just fine. My opine.

It depends on what state you are hunting in. The regs on what is legal covers the gamut. For instance, at least the last time I checked, the only thing legal in Montana is a Davey Crockett special - roundball, black powder (or substitute), percussion cap, and iron sights. I have a CVA configured as such and love it. But its' a 75 yard rig at best. Other places you have more options. Like the Pro Hunter with inline ignition, sabot bullets, and scope. That rig takes me out to 150 yards. Both have respectable accuracy when limited to their effective ranges.

So to start with, you need to narrow "the best" down to the state you want to hunt in. That will define your options. In any case, most muzzleloaders out there will do the job. They are only one-shot deals anyway. They are all still a primitive weapon (technically though that can be argued well nowadays). Whatever fits your budget that is legal would probably work just fine. My opine.
As the title states, CO legal

I would look for a White. I got a .504 and .451 they are my most accurate guns I own. They shoot heavy lead very well with 80 grain’s volume of triple 7 using #11 caps.

@Dsnow9

Have you handled a CVA optima or accura? In your first post you stated that you didn’t want a plastic cheapo, and I’d hazard a guess that you would be pleasantly surprised about the feel of these guns. And for longevity, a accura model with nitride coating might be just what you want.

Scheels currently has $50 off a nitride Accura with Williams peep sight.

@Dsnow9

Have you handled a CVA optima or accura? In your first post you stated that you didn’t want a plastic cheapo, and I’d hazard a guess that you would be pleasantly surprised about the feel of these guns. And for longevity, a accura model with nitride coating might be just what you want.

Scheels currently has $50 off a nitride Accura with Williams peep sight.
Thank you. And I have not. Will have to check out when I get back into town. Somehow I’m trying to fit a 2 week trip to the east coast in the middle of hunting seasons and running a business…

Ps: I would also definitely recommend getting one with either stainless steel or a cerakote finish it'll help keep the muzzleloader clean a continuous chore with those things.
I’d even take this a step further and get a nitrided muzzleloader. A stainless muzzleloader will still rust. You can’t Cerakote the bore. But a nitrided gun even has a near corrosion proof bore.

Trust me. I built one for a guy that could break an anvil, and he hasn’t been able to destroy it yet despite putting solid effort into the job. Like shooting it several times then shoving it into a gun case for a year without cleaning it. It took some cleaning but it did clean up without a single speck of rust or pitting. And he’ll probably read this and get a good laugh.

Last edited:
Checkout Woodman Arms out of New Hampshire. They are designed for the hardcore buck trackers of the Northwoods. I think you western guys would like the light weight and ridiculous accuracy out of their barrels. Sight in in early and Do Not clean it until the end of the season (Blackhorn 209). The owner of the company hadn’t cleaned his in a couple years. They come in .45 and.50. Myself, my wife, lots of friends have made the switch.

Oh man, that might fit the bill perfectly!
Checkout Woodman Arms out of New Hampshire. They are designed for the hardcore buck trackers of the Northwoods. I think you western guys would like the light weight and ridiculous accuracy out of their barrels. Sight in in early and Do Not clean it until the end of the season (Blackhorn 209). The owner of the company hadn’t cleaned his in a couple years. They come in .45 and.50. Myself, my wife, lots of friends have made the switch.

And they have no exposed hammer… cross bolt safety, 3.5 lb factory set trigger. A real joy to carry !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back