Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sell me on a CO legal muzzleloder

Dsnow9

I want to increase tag draw opportunity. I like archery but wouldn’t mind opening up the options a bit more. I do not necessarily have a budget I am looking to keep under but just want a good, reliable muzzleloader. The one that stands out after scanning scheels website is the traditions Hawken. I don’t mind the weight and would rather have a long term, nice gun than a cheap plastic one.

I don’t know squat about the different loading systems or firing systems. I’m still in initial research. But like hearing what others have to say. Probably looking at an end of year bonus for myself!

I don't know that I'd go with a Hawken as a starter unless you're wanting something more traditional. A modern in line 50 caliber break action with quick remove 209 breech would probably be the best bet. A traditional side lock is going to be less accurate, reduce range, harder to learn and deal with things like misfires, etc as a general rule. Some really good sabot free bullets and open sight systems that can make fairly cheap muzzleloaders pretty accurate. I'm running a traditions pursuit with a williams peep sight and fiber optic front with Thor bullets in front of 110gr of 777 for my CO legal muzzleloader and feel confident out to 150 yards.

Ps: I would also definitely recommend getting one with either stainless steel or a cerakote finish it'll help keep the muzzleloader clean a continuous chore with those things.

Last edited:
I want to increase tag draw opportunity. I like archery but wouldn’t mind opening up the options a bit more. I do not necessarily have a budget I am looking to keep under but just want a good, reliable muzzleloader. The one that stands out after scanning scheels website is the traditions Hawken. I don’t mind the weight and would rather have a long term, nice gun than a cheap plastic one.

I bought a T/C Impact and put a Williams peep/globe sight on it, shoots great! You're welcome to come down and shoot it if you want.

Get one with a removable breech, it's way easier to clean. I'd like a Hawken too, but glad I got what I did.

Last edited:
I think you can get set up with a pretty nice CO legal CVA Accura/Optima for a decent price. The Blackhorn 209 breech plug upgrade is also worth looking at. However, Blackhorn 209 powder has gotten pretty crazy expensive.

Muzzleloader season is full. But if you decide to get a modern inline muzzleloader any of the better known manufacturers are good. Personally I have a Thompson Center pro hunter and an Omega. I prefer the T/C because it has a break open action and a breach plug that requires no tools to remove. The omega is a good shooting gun but is a bit harder to take apart to clean.

I bought a T/C Impact and put a Skinner peep/globe sight on it, shoots great! You're welcome to come down and shoot it if you want.

Get one with a removable breech, it's way easier to clean. I'd like a Hawken too, but glad I got what I did.
This! Also when using it where scopes are legal get Leupold QR scope mount and rings. Twist two levers and scope comes off. Returns to 0 when you put it back on every time and doesn't mess with iron sight picture. It takes the same bases as the Encore.FB_IMG_1555631145557.jpgFB_IMG_1555630928758.jpg

This! Also when using it where scopes are legal get Leupold QR scope mount and rings. Twist two levers and scope comes off. Returns to 0 when you put it back on every time and doesn't mess with iron sight picture. It takes the same bases as the Encore.

Seen a guy in the flattops with that QR setup on his muzzleloader several years back. When I walked up on him, he turned his back to me and was quickly fumbling around his pack. Thats when I realized that his muzzleloader didn't have a even have a rear or front sight on it........It was then pretty obvious as to what he was in such a hurry to put away...

Seen a guy in the flattops with that QR setup on his muzzleloader several years back. When I walked up on him, he turned his back to me and was quickly fumbling around his pack. Thats when I realized that his muzzleloader didn't have a even have a rear or front sight on it........It was then pretty obvious as to what he was in such a hurry to put away...
Cheating is stealing! I don't understand how someone could have a clear conscience and tell everyone how they killed something by breaking the rules. I would have taken a picture of his set-up and showed a warden.

It’s all coming together lol

Cheating is stealing! I don't understand how someone could have a clear conscience and tell everyone how they killed something by breaking the rules. I would have taken a picture of his set-up and showed a warden.
Lol

I couldn't even barely get a game warden to check my damn bear this year. It took 18 hours to even get someone on the phone. They are spread way too thin to pursue a guy with a scope of his muzzleloader who is 6.5 miles from the trailhead. Lol

I have a Remington 700 Ultimate with the Arrowhead primer module conversion and a set of Williams Western Precision sights on top. It is reliable, accurate and carries fairly well, but has none of the soul of a traditional muzzleloader. It would be great if you want the most efficient hunting weapon. Buy a Hawken if you want the true Western blackpowder experience... or better yet, buy this Remington from me and so I can find a Pedersoli Missouri River or Rocky Mountain Hawken.

There are tons of options out there and they all serve their own purpose. If you are wanting to get into blackpowder for more opportunity an in-line muzzleloader is probably going to be your most available option and a good way to get started, at least that is how I got started. I did catch the blackpowder bug very early on and it kinda became an addiction for me, now it is just about the only thing I use.

I started with a .50 cal Knight Mountaineer, I have taken deer, elk and antelope with it. Mine is paired with a Williams precision globe peepsight. My effective range is 200 yards, though I rarely shoot past 100 yards and just took an antelope a month ago at 30 yards with it. After successfully harvesting an elk with my Knight I decided I wanted to go more traditional and purchased a .50 cal Hawken Woodsman. I made this move as my passion for authenticity was sparked during my first muzzleloader hunt. Now my Hawken is my bear, deer and elk gun. My max effective range is about 120 yards prone and 75-100 yards free hand, but I cast my own bullets and take great pride in the time and energy it takes to be successful. I will continue to use my Knight for Antelope as my accuracy and range can be a necessity when chase those plains speed goats.

I am now in the process of building my first flintlock and intend to take it elk hunting next year. If you really want to learn more about blackpowder and traditional options I would encourage you to go to a mountain man rendezvous. You will find guys who are truly passionate and dedicated to the art of blackpowder and keeping the heritage and traditions alive.

Here is the link to the flintlock kit I ordered. https://kiblerslongrifles.com/products/woodsrunner-rifle-kit-pre-order

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back