Scouting Trip Ethics

king1886ranch

Here's my dilemma, the only time that I can make, even just a day trip, fit into my schedule is the weekend of Sept. 8-11th. This is the last half of the early archery season in this unit. The unit is fairly large but the areas where Elk are, are pretty limited. What should I do? Do I go and setup in one spot and glass so I'm not bumping Elk around or do I scrap the idea of going all together? Any input would be great. This will be my first Elk Hunt and therefore it would be my first scouting trip.

Thanks

I ran into the same thing last year, except on the opener, labor day weekend. I checked in with a couple of hunters I ran into to see where to go to stay out of their way. Mostly main trails and high bluffs. Just trying to get the lay of the land. Checked back in with them at lunch to compare notes, other hunters in the area and any elk I saw. Helped with their pack out. nice guys. They were generous with suggestions for rifle season as the pattern changes after the rut.
I look forward to seeing them in a couple weeks.

I think you should go. Be courteous if people are there hunting. At worst you'll have an experience you can't get by staying home, and at best you'll get some really useful intel.

Game getting bumped and spooked by others in the field is just part of it. As long as you are not intentionally spooking the elk, others SHOULD understand. Learning as much as you can about an area before the hunt is important and will only help in the long run. Who knows, you may run across the same scenario as Tradewind did.

I say go do it. You have glass to watch everything from a distance anyways. In the same way that we, as hunters, can't really get mad if someone decides to go for a hike while we are out hunting. Noone owns the woods.

Also, make sure you shoot and sight in your rifle while you are out there. I would make sure to shoot at least a box of bullets. It'll help get you ready for the hunt if you can see how your gun performs at that elevation and area. Ok. I'm kidding on shooting your rifle. That would be plain rude. But scout away.

I would go and not feel bad about it. Take note of bugles/cow talk but don't go in to investigate. That's where the trouble starts :)

Alright thanks guys, it looks like I'll go ahead and go. Be courteous and who knows maybe I can help someone pack out and get some good advice like Tradewind did.

Ethics is that tricky thing that is unique to each person. In Hunter Ed we try to teach students to go beyond what is just legal to that which is above legal. How high is up to each person, hence ethics. I would think that you could scout without interrupting someone too much. Public land is what it is, and those that hunt it know it, too. The elk are going to get pressured whether you are there or not. You would want to minimize your contact with them for your own hunt as much as anyone currently hunting. I'd say go for it.

When I was bow hunting a few years ago I was set up on a game trail a couple of miles away from the nearest trailhead in the afternoon. Started hearing noise and twigs breaking so I notched an arrow and got ready. When I looked up I saw two dogs and a couple hiking down the trail into a clearing. They passed by at 35 yards and would have not had a clue I was there until I said hi. That's public land to me in a nutshell. Feel free to get out and scout all you want! Hopefully next time it's actually an elk coming by me!

You make it sound like you already know where the elk will be. If this is the case, I wouldn't go.

You make it sound like you already know where the elk will be. If this is the case, I wouldn't go.

That's more so the reason that I want to go, just to confirm my E-Scouting. I've been in the unit before but only in early summer when there aren't any Elk there.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back