Scenario-What would you do?

I would've passed him up knowing that if I don't get one I "could've killed a deer. I had a 15 yard shot on a forky and passed him up. An easy shot and I let him walk". That would be my mind set. Also, you still gained the experience. You snuck up on the animal, got yourself in perfect position and did whatever you did. If you took the shot then SUCCESS...if you didn't then it was still a successful "attempt" in that you put yourself in the right place. There's my 2 cents.

That was basically my thinking. I let Two Steaks walk. Even after he came back around not once more but two more times, when I was farther up the ridge. I would have pummeled him last year, no question. I passed on him for the same reason I passed on a tiny Coues back the first week of January (with my son looking incredulous: "Aren't you gonna shoot him?"). Killing him would end my season and continuing the season is probably the best thing I can do to get better, sooner, at bowhunting at my age (42). Plus, the deer numbers in AZ are plummeting, so I have a difficult time yanking one out of the mix when he hasn't even swam a lap in the gene pool.

I did get on a nice 3x4 at first light Sunday but there were 4 does with him that kept pinning me down on my every move and they kept him moving until he reached the heavy timber.

If I can get out for a quick hunt for one of the few days after Labor Day or some time when it opens again in December, even small bucks are going to have to be more careful. Thanks to all for your input.

Ron, good luck finding a great bull. I saw some nice ones up there @ 10,000 ft. You can PM me if interested.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elitehunter85
Back