Scenario-What would you do?

Devil Diver Down

Before I download pics off my phone, etc. I thought I'd throw out this scenario.
Backstory:
Bought my first bow last year. Expectations were low and standards were even lower: "If it's brown, it's down." Didn't have the opportunity to release a single arrow on anything other than paper, foam and burlap through an AZ deer hunt, CO OTC elk and AZ javelina hunt--not exactly a banner year for me. Guy at my local shop suggested I shoot at quail, rabbits, anything just to bust the cherry. I don't feel like blowing up arrows in the rocky desert I hunt.

Scenario:
Archery deer opened this weekend in AZ. I'm in a wilderness area north of Flagstaff and it has been raining lightly on and off since I hiked in Thursday night. In the evening I'm glassing a meadow and a small forked horn buck and doe start working toward me. I position myself beside a tree, see antlers (the first/only buck I see in this hunt) and nock an arrow. They both know something isn't right--the tree has a funny looking appendage on its side. He's trying to get me to flinch by bobbing his head up and down but he works from my right to left and stops, broadside, at 15 yards.

Here are the options:
Shoot this buck I named Two Steaks. Get the experience of that first arrow released, hit, etc. Get the monkey off my back and out of the rain. Deer numbers appear to be down in the area and it might be my only chance. He's likely too stupid to make it thru the rifle hunt in October anyway.

Let him walk. He's a buck I'd never consider on a rifle hunt. If I tag out now, there are no more tags in my pocket and my archery deer hunting is over until 2012=no more gaining experience in spot/stalk/pre-release.

Curious what you all would do given my backstory/experience. Let him walk or arrow him? I realize that each hunter has to decide for themselves. Each person defines their trophy, etc. I know all that. I did what I did. I want to know what you would do.

Last edited:
Good scenario. I too am just starting archery hunting and my mindset is set on shooting any legal animal. I think it will build confidence and I can be picky the next time around. I would try and get out with other friends and family who bow hunt and gain experience and ideas based on their techniques.

I hope you let us know that you got your first archery kill. :)

My first buck was with archery equipment and it was a forky. Great memories...Yes I would have shot. Please post pictures!

For your first animal, I would shoot.You can hold out for bigger next year.Plus,if your like me, alot of things seem to happen from release to impact;like branches moving into the way ect...Get your first bow kill and then start trophy hunting if thats what your into

As a first year archery hunter this year I'm going with the "If it's brown it's down" mantra as well. I would have let it fly and eaten two steaks waiting for next years hunt.

You can't kill big one's shooting the little one's, or so the saying goes. Gaining experience in releasing an arrow is extremely important in getting some confidence in a new method of hunting, but it's your hunt, your tag, YOUR experience, so whatever direction you chose is best for you. But if you whacked him, congrats and lets see some pics dangit!

Personally, as a first for archery, I'd have killed that deer in your scenario.

Very well said.
Whatever you did is right, it's your hunt.

Darn it, Ken & Randy--that's cheating. :p It was my hunt. I'm fine with my decision. I think there's value in either case.

As I said "I realize that each hunter has to decide for themselves. Each person defines their trophy, etc. I know all that. I did what I did. I want to know what you would do."

I would definitely take him. When I started archery hunting, I was excited to get anything, and some of my first hunts were my most memorable ones, even though they are far from the biggest animals.

I would have passed on him. I have passed on them. I have been bowhunting off and on for 20 some years. I have shot a lot of game with a rifle. With gear I have shot does, fawns, turkey, bear and a cow elk. In my home state on my only buck tag, I dont fill it unless it is big or time is running out on the season. I have had a lot of tag soup and a lot of great memories which becomes difficult when you tag out early! Plus, and this is most important for me, If my buck tag gets filled the wife wont let me hunt anymore so as long as that tag is still in my pocket........

Shoot.

I passed up a "gift" cow elk one time. I didn't regret it at the time, but to this day I realize it would have been my one and only bow kill on an elk had I taken the 10-ft shot.

I've got an elk and a couple of javelina under my belt with my bow, but no deer here in AZ yet. I know what I would've done. I would have shot, or at least attempted a shot. I say that not having a rifle deer tag this year and not having time in Nov to pick up a leftover tag down south. I doubt I'll have time to get out in December either this year with my bow.

Saying that, I was up very near where you were describing this past weekend and got in a good stalk on a 4x3 that I proceeded to miss at 45 yards. Hopefully I can redeem myself the week before my elk hunt starts in a couple of weeks on one of those dumb forkies you are describing while I'm up there scouting... :D

Ron

My grandkids NEVER ask me if the jerky came from a forky or a wallhanger. I do consider myself a trophy hunter most of the time but you gotta experience success or you grow complacent and drift away. I hope you harvested him but, if you didn't, I hope you get another try next year!

I'd have taken the shot. This is my third year with a bow (0 for 2 so far), and you can bet any elk that wanders within 60 yards (horns or not) is getting an arrow sent its way.

I think you did the right thing. Not because you could've or should've but because you gave yourself another excuse, another chance to get out there. Just getting out beats sitting at a desk typing on this keyboard.

My tag on this site is: "It's the hunt, not the kill". Just how I feel. If I was having a great time in AZ. I would have let him walk.

good luck to all
the dog

Of course whatever you decided to do is the right thing for you. You are the one that is in the scenario. I would have to let him walk. I am now into my second archery season, and I just let another SMALL 3 pt walk. That is MY decision. Personally, although I would be very happy to shoot a buck with my bow, I know that a bigger 3 pt or 4 pt would make me happier. Elk are a whole different ball game. What ever you did, I am sure it was right for you and congrats on the decision!

It's tough to say what I "would've" done if that would've been my first archery kill period. I'm guessing I would've shot it...right now in life I would've passed him up knowing that if I don't get one I "could've killed a deer. I had a 15 yard shot on a forky and passed him up. An easy shot and I let him walk". That would be my mind set. Also, you still gained the experience. You snuck up on the animal, got yourself in perfect position and did whatever you did. If you took the shot then SUCCESS...if you didn't then it was still a successful "attempt" in that you put yourself in the right place. There's my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back