Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Salt River Wyoming public access

BuzzH

GF press release, the meeting already happened but there is still ample time to comment prior to the Commission Meeting on September 9 and 10.

Public Meeting on Salt River Public Access

Date: August 17, 2015
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Where: Afton Civic Center in Afton, WY

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is holding a public meeting to discuss, answer questions and gather public input on a proposal to change an existing public access easement along the Salt River, and the nearby tributary Christensen Creek, two miles northwest of Grover, WY.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Commission is being asked to relinquish 0.41 miles of hunting and fishing access easement along Christensen Creek in exchange for habitat improvements.

Those unable to attend the meeting may call the Jackson Game and Fish office at 800-423-4113 FREE (in-state) or 307-733-2321 to learn more and provide input. All public input received will be presented to the Game and Fish Commission prior to their September 9-10 meeting in Torrington.

I saw this press release the other day. Not many details in there, but it seemed like a no-brainer loss for the public? Maybe I'm missing something.

I attended the meeting and testified on behalf of WYBHA on this "proposal".

Some background is that the easement in question was purchased by the WYGF with DJ/PR funds as well as license dollars. According to what I found out the amount paid was 60-70K and the easement is perpetual. It provides access to the salt river as well as Christensen creek for fishing as well as duck hunting.

Seems a smooth talking real-estate agent has a wealthy client (reported to be Mitt Romney by my sources), who wants to purchase the property and cut the public access.

The "offer" if you want to call it that, brought by the snake oil salesman/real estate agent, was 100K from his client, to be spent on habitat improvements "somewhere" on the Salt River in exchange for closing the easement.

There were 50-60 people that showed up and not one person testified in support. It was very clear that the locals don't want to give up public access.

I riled up the real-estate agent pretty good when I testified that Sportsmen have already paid for the public access and that 100K was an insult. I also testified that there are plenty of groups that can come up with funds for habitat work on the Salt River without selling out our public access.

I feel that if it were allowed, we're setting a precedent that anytime some well-heeled individual doesn't like public access, they can flash a cheesy smile and a handful of cash and buy us out of our public access.

As an aside, this is also a classic example of why I don't want the State controlling Federal Lands. Guys like Mr. Snake oil Salesman, feel like they can get away with anything with the States...and I would bet "offers" like this would be the norm to control/close access if everything were under State Control.

If anyone is so inclined, be sure to call the numbers above if you have interest in keeping this public access.

Wow, that's even more lame than I predicted from the press release. The thing I am most impressed with, though, is the fact that there were 50+ people at the meeting.

They had to set up additional chairs about 10 minutes before the meeting started, and they should have had a bigger box to put all the written comments in.

Its pretty clear that public access to the Salt River is important to the locals...and I have to tip my hat to them for showing up in force.

I think the real estate agent limped back to Utah with not much left of his ass in tow...

They had to set up additional chairs about 10 minutes before the meeting started, and they should have had a bigger box to put all the written comments in.

Its pretty clear that public access to the Salt River is important to the locals...and I have to tip my hat to them for showing up in force.

I think the real estate agent limped back to Utah with not much left of his ass in tow...

Access on the Salt has always been a hot button issue. Good to see folks standing up. Thanks for being the man in the arena, Buzz!

Well done Buzz! 50-60 people and it didn't include free beer, in Wyoming that is impressive.

Was there any indication when there would be a determination?

The Game and Fish Commission will decide at the Torrington Commission meeting September 9 and 10.

WYBHA will have a board member there for sure at the Commission meeting.

There were 3 Commissioners at the Afton meeting as well as the Deputy Director of the WYGF. I got a chance to talk with 2 of the Commissioners and the Deputy Director as well as other GF staff.

It was a strong showing by Sportsmen.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back