Rifle Build Questions

Southern Precision Rifles has custom actions and trued 700's on hand at times, barrels too: http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_97
I don't know if you're in a hurry, but the most highly regarded smiths take a long time, almost without exception. Guys like Gordy Gritters and Robert Gradous quoted me 9-12 months as of last fall for a fully customer supplied build. GAP quoted me 5-6 months and I have every reason to believe they do top notch work. It will be just over three months when it arrives on Wednesday.
Lesser known smiths can surely produce a shooter, but to me it's a matter of putting the odds in my favor--the whole reason I choose to invest in customized rifles to begin with.

I think you'll find a number of guys with GA Precision and Kevin Weaver builds around here. Probably not a dissatisfied one in the bunch.

I appreciate everyone's responses here. I am sending off checks and ordering parts as we speak. I decided to ditch the barrel fluting and the 3-position safety. I am also going to do a Timney trigger and the ADL configuration on the stock.

I am having Northwest Actionworks do the majority of the build. Through a couple of buddies, I was able to get in touch with several guys who have ordered precision tactical rifles from them, and they have been really happy with the work and accuracy they got out of their tactical rifles. This combined with the current offer they are giving for a trued 700 action with your choice of barrel right now is proving pretty tough to beat price wise. Once I get the barreled action home, and get it cerakoted, I can handle the rest.

The only other question I have is on the McMillian stock. I am going back and forth between a speckled finish stock or one of there molded in camo finishes. Does anyone have any experience with which one will stand more abuse? They say on their site that the paint can scratch off, and say that the camo is "molded in" for durability, but no where do they just say this is our most durable finish.

Thanks again.

Ross

Keep the progress posted Ross...sounds like you've done your homework. FWIW, I like the looks and the touch of the speckled finish.

If you are going with an edge weight stock, paint is the only option. The molded in color adds weight but does look pretty sweet. Since its molded, its going to be as durable as the stock is because it is the actual stock. Though their paint seems to be very rugged as well from my handling of them.

If you get a McMillan with Edge construction paint is your only option. The molded in finishes are only offered on their regular fiberglass stocks. The fiberglass will weigh 1/4-1/2# more than the equal weight stock in Edge construction. A molded finish will weigh a oz or two more than a painted stock of same construction/size.

In the OP you stated you wanted an Edge stock, so you'll have to go paint. I like their brown and gray base color speckled paint jobs. Brown with red recoil pad for stainless and gray with black pad if you have the metal coated black. I much prefer the speckled paint over a webbed paint. However, if you leave the SS metal uncoated, and unpainted Edge stock showing the graphite cloth looks pretty sweet, if a bit ulitarian.

I'm working on a Remington right now it is a 700 in a 30-06 fluted barrel Ti stock,Talley light weights,leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 cds. It still has the stock trigger adjusted to 3lb. It weighs 7.56 pounds. I'm still probably gonna have the bolt fluted and replace the trigger and bed the stock

I'm working on a Remington right now it is a 700 in a 30-06 fluted barrel Ti stock,Talley light weights,leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 cds. It still has the stock trigger adjusted to 3lb. It weighs 7.56 pounds. I'm still probably gonna have the bolt fluted and replace the trigger and bed the stock

Like it...pics will be expected.

Darrell Holland in Powers OR is as good a smith as you will find anywhere and all he works on is Remingtons - NOBODY knows Remington actions OR accuracy any better

A quick update on where we are at with this thing. There was a mix up with the barrel coming from Krieger, they sent a 6mm instead of the 6.5, so things got a little delayed, but it is almost home. The bolt is getting fluted and the handle milled out today, and it will get test fired next week. All that will be left is Ceracoating and microslick and it will be on its way to its new home. Bottom line is these guys have been great to work with despite the hiccup, I hear from them all the time, and they are giving me a MIL discount to boot.

My big concern now is whether or not I will have this thing done for the HT Bear Hunt in May. I think I might have screwed up, but I was playing it safe. I didn't want to give McMillian the inletting dimensions until the barrel was screwed in the action, and now McMillian is saying they are backed up 6 months:(. Hopefully I can sweet talk some one there into rushing mine through.

How funky is your barrel configuration? It may not "fit" well, but you can always flip those B&C stocks, or even find one used on 24hourcampfire or gunbroker.

Unless you have an unusually long shank, I would guess any of those would fit, there may just be a bigger gap than desired.

How funky is your barrel configuration? It may not "fit" well, but you can always flip those B&C stocks, or even find one used on 24hourcampfire or gunbroker.

Unless you have an unusually long shank, I would guess any of those would fit, there may just be a bigger gap than desired.

Mine is going to be an ADL, I would be looking at one of the carbon fiber ones 2950/51s, so it would be a special order regardless. I don't think it is that far off, it should be pretty close to any other #2 profile. I will take a look on gunbroker and 24hr campfire and see if anything is out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back