Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

regular credit card theft?

I was on the phone dealing with one yesterday. The lady on the phone had a thick Indian accent and her dog wouldn't stop barking the whole dam call. I really couldn't even communicate. I'm hoping I got the situation fixed. I got a credit today but she warned me that there will be an investigation. Wonder who they hand my info to for the investigation!?
It's impossible to live without a card these days otherwise I'd be without.

Anybody else regularly have fraudulent purchases showing up on your credit card? Seems we have someone trying to steal thousands of dollars almost annually and have to cancel a card and get a new card and account number...

I keep mine next to am RFID card to protect my data from being stolen when card in in my wallet. Guessing it gets stolen as gas pumps etc. by card skimmers. Not sure. Do have it stored online for autopay for certain accounts...

This week is was over 4 grand for a camera at Adorama, previously it has been $11,000 for airline tickets etc.

Thoughts and experience comparisons?
I do this for a living (build and sell fraud detection systems, not committing fraud - although it’s probably easier and more lucrative on “the other side”). The culprit in your case is more likely that your identity has been compromised (and likely via spyware on your computer) vs. skimmers or other tactical compromises. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend a scan of any devices that you use to make purchases or login to financial accounts.

I use cash as much as I can now....it's happened a few times to me and I'm tired of it.

I think they must see mine and think holy 💩 I already got plenty of bills I sure don't need his. Lol

Happened to me several times. Last year was a hefty charge at a beauty salon in Chicago, then a plane ticket that afternoon to Dallas 🤬

Waiting on the new card since Christmas Eve. Second time since 1993. PIA,

Anybody else regularly have fraudulent purchases showing up on your credit card? Seems we have someone trying to steal thousands of dollars almost annually and have to cancel a card and get a new card and account number...

I keep mine next to am RFID card to protect my data from being stolen when card in in my wallet. Guessing it gets stolen as gas pumps etc. by card skimmers. Not sure. Do have it stored online for autopay for certain accounts...

This week is was over 4 grand for a camera at Adorama, previously it has been $11,000 for airline tickets etc.

Thoughts and experience comparisons?

make sure you have cancel autopay in place if current card is deactivated. I was unaware of this. If it’s not, then if someone tries to charge the old card it still goes thru…. on the new card.

I do this for a living (build and sell fraud detection systems, not committing fraud - although it’s probably easier and more lucrative on “the other side”). The culprit in your case is more likely that your identity has been compromised (and likely via spyware on your computer) vs. skimmers or other tactical compromises. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend a scan of any devices that you use to make purchases or login to financial accounts.
thought iphones/ipads were especially resistant to mal/spyware. those are devices I use the most for online credit card purchases.

my work computer, that also do occasional online shopping with security is managed by IT dept.

suggested app to check and protect ios devices?

i do have active identity theft monitoring in place. have had email addy hits. no credit card alerts.

I've been hit a cpl times, once from cabelas and the last was when the local processor burned their shop down and his wife credited my account from her iphone. I try not to leave any cards on file.

What are the odds of the fraudulent purchases coming from two different retailers you already purchased from? I'm guessing at some point you made online purchases from both of them.. Other than the card processing company, who else would know you had placed online orders with those two retailers and used the same card at both?

My personal opinion is that the processing company employees are responsible for more theft than skimmers and actual card theft combined.
I think you're probably right.

Just got s fraud hit this morning, someone purchased $800 through Ticketmaster. I have alerts for all purchases set up so knew right away. Called Capitol One, no hassles. New card on the way. Only other time was a couple of years ago received s purchased alert for $.01 on Discover. Again, quick call and new card.

You’re doing some type of transaction or purchases that must be prime for fraud. If you replace the cards and it keeps happening, look at what you’re doing. It might be online or at some store. The amount of fraud you are having is not normal.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the number of people who do almost all their banking and ordering of products on their phone?

When I used to use a debit card for all my daily transactions I was having my information stolen 2 or 3 times a year. In the 7-8 years since I switched to a credit card for daily transactions I have only had an issue once or twice.

I did have a weird one the other day where I received a brand new Visa gift card as a Christmas Gift that had fraudulent purchases already on it.

Picked up an identity theft policy from Zander. Had a heads up that my Id was used to secure a CC for a Bronx NY address. Able to dispute that CC & flag fraud charges to prevent this from reoccuring.

Well worth the piece of mind....

I probably have a CC card compromised once a year. Latest was a 60 cent charge to amazon of all things. I never ever use my debit card except for ATM withdrawls. Id rather them steal the CC money than my money. Its always a PITA to deal with but has become something one has to deal with in todays world.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back