Region 3 mule deer -realistic expectations

joelweb

Okay. Elk is in the freezer, so I've got the remainder of the season to chase muleys. I'm hunting the western side of region 3. I know that the area is not known for big bucks, but I'd like to get peoples' opinions on what is possible if a person works for it. Would I be crazy to pass up a 150 class mule deer?

For the most part, you would be crazy to pass up a 150. But you have a chance to stumble onto a bigger one. I've hunted some general units of the western part of region 3 the last 4 years and have only seen one buck over 150, maybe a second one but was too far to tell. If i were concentrating on a buck in this region, I'de get REALLY serious about it the last week of the season, but that's just me.

I'd be suprised if you see a true 150 class mule deer in most areas of SW MT outside of limited permit areas. MOST of the bucks shot are under 4 yrs old.

Would I be crazy to pass up a 150 class mule deer?

Not crazy if you don't mind not getting one. I suppose it depends on where you're hunting. I've hunted region 3, mostly for elk, for 3 decades and can count on one hand (that's right, one), how many legit 150+ bucks I've seen on public land. Good luck with that.

Just out of curiosity, why not go hunt some other parts of the state that hold more potential? Take the notched elk tag as a hall pass to explore some country you wouldn't see or hunt otherwise.

I second Randy11, this is the first year I have gone out of my unit and explored different units and different country. It is making it easier to hunt more seasons and easier to choose when the application is coming up.

Not crazy if you don't mind not getting one. I suppose it depends on where you're hunting. I've hunted region 3, mostly for elk, for 3 decades and can count on one hand (that's right, one), how many legit 150+ bucks I've seen on public land. Good luck with that.

Now that is sad. No wonder I get calls from Bozeman hunters wanting to lease hunting rights. Maybe you are just part of the 80% that doesn't walk far enough. NOT

Last edited:
Region 3 is really varied. There is some heavily timbered lower elevation country in region three that are general tag areas that certainly produce 150-160 inch bucks. Anything that is conducive to mass-glassing with exposed wintering areas is gonna have fewer older bucks. Passing up a 150 inch buck would probably be a bad move, but they are there. I've seen two bucks exceeding 150 (harvested) coming out of general districts in R3 so far this year though they did not make 160

Last edited:
What's really sad is that 150 is a dink, or at least a somewhat of young deer usually. I've seen a number of really great bucks come off larger private properties in region 3. Also have seen many really great bucks from many years ago. I'm sure some live here that die of old age and are never seen. But, at least where I'm familiar with, Gallatin, Madison areas, it's far from a deer hunting destination. Largest one I've ever seen myself while hunting (elk) was taken by me, a week ago.

Attachments

• LivDeer.JPG
    LivDeer.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,118
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why not go hunt some other parts of the state that hold more potential? Take the notched elk tag as a hall pass to explore some country you wouldn't see or hunt otherwise.

Cause I've got an unlimited permit, I love SW Montana, and I have little interest in hunting whitetails. I'm confident I can find a mature deer. I wanted to get your opinions on quality potential.

What's really sad is that 150 is a dink, or at least a somewhat of young deer usually. I've seen a number of really great bucks come off larger private properties in region 3. Also have seen many really great bucks from many years ago. I'm sure some live here that die of old age and are never seen. But, at least where I'm familiar with, Gallatin, Madison areas, it's far from a deer hunting destination. Largest one I've ever seen myself while hunting (elk) was taken by me, a week ago.

Very nice. Did you score that one?

If you're in a permit-only area, you would have been better off mentioning that as R3 is large and varies. The buck is right at 170 gross.

If you're in a permit-only area, you would have been better off mentioning that as R3 is large and varies. The buck is right at 170 gross.

I don't want to give too much info away, but it's not a prized unit so maybe it doesn't matter. Nice deer!

150 if very doable...I have only hunted region 3 for mule deer, if you hold out for that more mature 170 is possible...I am not very good at that and very rarely wait for the rut, but that is when I see the big boys out more. I do see them during bow season, but usually shoot another decent deer with my bow when he steps in the wrong spot.

Great buck greenhorn, congrats, looks a little bigger then 170. A buck like that is a needle in a haystack in region 3 general units.

Heck, if you've got a freezer full of meat and a few good bucks under your belt, why not stretch your season and hold out for a real bruiser?

You may get better info if you fill us in on the unit.

I see a LOT of deer in my job. I cover about about 70% of true SW MT(Butte-ID border and from Big Hole to the East side of Madison. Im in the feild almost every day from april through sept. I see less than a 4-6 deer a yr that are an honest 150 or better. Just saying have a reasonable expectation.

A true 170 deer outside a limited draw area is very rare. They shoot them on occasion, but man you are looking for a needle in a BIG haystack.

Sweet deer Greenhorn!

Last edited:
This is what I was able to turn up. No giant, but a representative mature deer for the area. We located another good buck for my hunting partner, but ran out of light before we could get a shot. We were never able to find him again. It looks like the mild winters over the past two years have produced a lot of young deer. That creates some promise for the future.

Attachments

• Joel buck 2015 smaller.jpg
    Joel buck 2015 smaller.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 623
  • Joel Buck 2015 on ground smaller.jpg
    Joel Buck 2015 on ground smaller.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 614
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member