Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2023 Montana Mule Deer

MTLabrador

Last week I decided to take a break from frustrating elk hikes, and I went back to an old spot that I grew up hunting for mule deer. I ended up finding a buck that I wanted to take home and eat, so I snuck in to 190 yards and waited for him to stand out of his bed. One shot from the old .270 crumpled him. I was pleased walking up to him, and he died in the same coulee where I killed my first buck.

IMG_7211.jpeg

Today was my last day to hunt for a bull and the end of a very frustrating elk season. I spent the morning attempting to catch up to a herd of around 100 elk that still had several large bulls as they moved off onto private. I knew the permit I drew this year would likely be frustrating, but with warm, dry weather it was tougher than I expected. I passed up some small bulls and had opportunities at two great bulls, but never had a clean shot at either one. I might go back out for a cow in December, and I’m already looking forward to hunting my usual general tag spots next year. Some sad, elkless scenery shots:

IMG_7052.jpegIMG_7018.jpegIMG_7005.jpeg

Last week I decided to take a break from frustrating elk hikes, and I went back to an old spot that I grew up hunting for mule deer. I ended up finding a buck that I wanted to take home and eat, so I snuck in to 190 yards and waited for him to stand out of his bed. One shot from the old .270 crumpled him. I was pleased walking up to him, and he died in the same coulee where I killed my first buck.

View attachment 302883

Today was my last day to hunt for a bull and the end of a very frustrating elk season. I spent the morning attempting to catch up to a herd of around 100 elk that still had several large bulls as they moved off onto private. I knew the permit I drew this year would likely be frustrating, but with warm, dry weather it was tougher than I expected. I passed up some small bulls and had opportunities at two great bulls, but never had a clean shot at either one. I might go back out for a cow in December, and I’m already looking forward to hunting my usual general tag spots next year. Some sad, elkless scenery shots:

View attachment 302878View attachment 302879View attachment 302880
Great deer. Congrats.

Cool buck with a lot of character.

Last year a lot of bulls hit the deck because of favorable cold and snow. This year I bet a lot survived. Next year they’ll be out there, and you will have a.338 caliber of freedom on offer!

.270 Win, Stormy cap and plaid wool shirt? What is this? Throwback Thursday? Congrats on a nice buck.😂
Would you believe I used a regular old Hornady interlock too? I’m getting increasingly old and cranky the closer I get to 30.

I ran into some guys from Washington at the gas station. They had matching Stone Glacier uniforms including gaiters, and bino harnesses with MKC knives on the shoulder strap and Sig 320s in the razco holsters inside the gas station. Pretty hardcore for a prairie deer hunt in an area with no bears. Maybe they were just trying to show off for the local ladies, but the Hutterite girls at the gas station didn’t seem impressed. They also didn’t have any blood on the tailgate of their jacked up F250.

Would you believe I used a regular old Hornady interlock too? I’m getting increasingly old and cranky the closer I get to 30.

I ran into some guys from Washington at the gas station. They had matching Stone Glacier uniforms including gaiters, and bino harnesses with MKC knives on the shoulder strap and Sig 320s in the razco holsters inside the gas station. Pretty hardcore for a prairie deer hunt in an area with no bears. Maybe they were just trying to show off for the local ladies, but the Hutterite girls at the gas station didn’t seem impressed. They also didn’t have any blood on the tailgate of their jacked up F250.
Yeah, I wonder if I didn't see the same bunch at a Hi Line truck stop. A couple of kids in the group. Everyone was fancy camo head to toe ... including boots. Silly considering the law requires them to cover it up with flame orange. The old man decided to sort of give me some crap about the forky on the hitch carrier. "That little guy should be good eating." My brother wearing a leg brace shot it. Mine shot the same morning had to be hung that day and skinned. Way too warm. Pulled up a photo on my phone and watched the kids' eyes get big as pie plates. Three of us big guys almost didn't get that buck into the back of my buddy's SxS. He's a whopper. I don't hunt from those machines. I called and he came from town to haul out the buck. Nice guy. Really nice guy. Two years ago with snow on the ground I dragged a 3x3 out about 1.5 miles from the same coulee network. Would have been a bit more difficult doing that this year ... just a bit more difficult. :D
IMG_1307.jpg
Nicked my finger dressing the buck and used flagging tape to close the wound. Last time I did that was my first buck, 1968 I think and it required a trip in town to Lewistown hospital for stitches.

Last edited:
Nice deer @MTLabrador! Bummer on the elk permit. Makes me want to to hold out for an extra special bull tag, the private public game is always a gamble.

I can't believe you killed that buck without a PRC, in a Tikka rifle, match bullet, no suppressor and a shitty Leupold. And no vertical grip stock either. My God man, what were you thinking? mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back