MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Question for guys that use horses

For me it was NOT like riding a bike. I settled in to a year of successful guiding, packing, wrangling, shoeing, and it became work, and we (many horses and mules and me) had an understanding, and we had some good team work going, with me as boss. But I found that after quitting for several years and going back to it, I had to start all over to get back in that team groove.

I'm afeared I'm out of that groove now and I don't really have a desire to get back into it. Those who work with them successfully as a profession (i.e. not recreate) have my respect. More power to them. At the end of the day, though, people aren't a whole lot different from horses and mules.

I like the feel of a good heavy pack on my back. But if I had a need for horses, I'd rather hire than do it myself. They cut in to hunt time.

As was said, lots of stories.

My experience of using horses on 2 DIY hunts..
We rented horses and kept them at Camp for 7 days each time..
Feed alpha cubes we packed in and grazed them on grass..
We grazed them with a high line and kept rotating them.

No problems with horses but it was alot of extra work caring and watering them..

Now instead we just call someone if we need one packed out instead of keeping horses ourselves..

Just what works better for us..

All feed MUST be certified weed free. Bales of hay are best for the health of the animal, but not the most efficient for packing. If you are feeding cubes/pellets, it's a really good idea to try and get them some supplemental grazing on their own (more filler and digestive help than anything) and make sure they get plenty of water. Horses can colic easily on processed feeds if they don't get enough water. Also, the smaller pellets are easy for them to inhale if they eat them too quickly. A horse that gets one stuck in his airway is a spooky thing, and they can aspirate all of the green crap they are drooling out and get pneumonia.

A horse should only carry 20% of its bodyweight and that INCLUDES the tack. A typical packsaddle and pads will weigh about 40 pounds. Thus, a 1100 pound horse will be limited to 85 pounds per side. You CAN go heavier for shorter distances, but you better be damned sure the saddle fits well and is adjusted properly. Also, really heavy loads are very hard on packers too. The first time you are trying to adjust a 95 pound load on a side hill that has slipped you will know what I mean.

I'm with JDF on high lining horses, alfalfa cubes, and grazing. We've kept 8 horses healthy and happy for 7 day trips in the Scapegoat using this method.

For me taking my mule with is worth it. I do 99% of my hunting by myself. It is a bit of a pain to take care of him at camp but once an elk hits the ground and you are by yourself he is a real pleasure to have.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill the Packer Fan
Back