Question for guys that use horses

tom338

Doing a hunt this year and going in about 6-7 miles. I know there is water but not sure how good the grass is. How much feed do you have to bring with for a horse?? We will go in and then come out after day 7. Do you bring in hay or pellets??
How much per day is what id like to know, and am not counting on much grass when we get there just in case.

I'm sure that there are others on here that can give a better answer than I can, but I will tell you about my experience. We rented 4 horses once for a similar hunt. I think we ended up hunting for 5 or 6 days. We let the horses graze some while tied. We packed in 2 bags (100 lbs of pellets). If my math is correct, that was about 5 lbs of pellets per horse per day. That wouldn't have been enough if they didn't do some grazing.

During elk camp we feed 1/8 bale twice each day. They are also mainly used for hauling in camp and not ridden every day. If you were hunting off of them every day, they would likely need a bit more. Hay has to be certified weed free in many areas...

Certified weed free alfalfa pellets are the way to go, as long as there is plenty of water available. 2 one hundred pound bags should last you for the week, especially if you can supplement it with some grazing.

Should have mentioned that we are just going to use the horse for packing. Mthuntinfool, if you feed that much how do you get it into camp. My understanding (correct me if this is wrong) is that a horse can only pack 160 lbs of weight. So if it takes 200lbs of feed it would take a couple trips just to bring in gear and feed. Thinking it might not be worth the hassle of a horse

Last edited:
I am amazed by the stuff I don't know or just never thought of. I always thought it would be cool to do a pack hunt with horses but I never thought of the fact that you have to feed them.

And you need to add in about an hour to brush, clean hoofs, water feed and saddle to your morning routine. Another 15 minutes cause somebody gets bucked off first thing in camp and you need to collect and redo that mount :)

Should have mentioned that we are just going to use the horse for packing. Mthuntinfool, if you feed that much how do you get it into camp. My understanding (correct me if this is wrong) is that a horse can only pack 160 lbs of weight. So if it takes 200lbs of feed it would take a couple trips just to bring in gear and feed. Thinking it might not be worth the hassle of a horse

We make a trip back to the truck at some point, hopefully hauling out an elk on the horses, then come back with the rest of the feed. Horses are a giant pain in the ass until an elk is down ten miles from the road.

So if you are strictly using them for packing purposes are you better off having someone at call to come and get them on the back end? Are there guys that do this for a fee?

I think that would be ideal if possible.

Before I moved to Montana a couple months ago, I did all my elk hunting in New Mexico with pack horses, sold them all so I wouldn't have to move them. I only hauled in some grain to supplement the grass, teach your horses to accept being hobbled and you can turn them loose as soon as you roll out of bed in the morning and then again in the evening. As long as a couple are hobbled they are easy to catch. New Mexico is hot and dry and we were always going through a drought but never had a problem finding some grass. I always threw a sack of pellets in the truck and left them at the trailhead in case of emergency but never had to use them.

We make a trip back to the truck at some point, hopefully hauling out an elk on the horses, then come back with the rest of the feed. 1)Horses are a giant pain in the ass until an elk is down ten miles from the road.

2)So if you are strictly using them for packing purposes are you better off having someone at call to come and get them on the back end? 3)Are there guys that do this for a fee?

4)I think that would be ideal if possible.

We usually plan on a trip back also (hopefully with meat) after a couple days.

1)Yes 2)yes 3)yes 4)Heck YES!

I think hobbling is the way, although we have always packed certified weed free hay cubes. They are just more bang for your buck. We always figured 13 lbs. of cubes per head per day. Water is important too. In the Breaks that can be a problem. You have to make sure they can get to the water without sinking in the gumbo/quicksand crap. With the horses I can even go by myself and pack a big bull out with just me and two horses. No backpacking for me with the replaced knee. They are a pain a lot of times, but I think it adds a lot too. That's how it always used to be done, I always felt a certain amount of nostalgia hunting on horseback.

I own horses and a mule. I also pack into the backcountry all Summer long just because I'm retired and like to camp and pack. Nothing beats riding down the mountain trails with my boys in a pack string. Here are my personal opinions.
A horse needs to eat about 1.5-2% of it's body weight in forage daily. Most think the max. a horse should be packing is 15-20% of their weight. I'd go on the light side of this. It's harder for a horse to pack a load, than to carry the equivalent weight in a rider.
I used to picket horses on a 50' rope, and was forever untangling them, as there are very few good meadows that don't have shrubs, trees, logs, etc. to tangle on. Some horses have a knack for keeping their feet free, and some are always getting a foot wrapped up, and this ain't good! Then, you'll have to highline them at night, and they hate that. They'll paw the ground all night and you can listen to it! As for hobbling, they hate it and so do I. A friend hobbled his string, and the next morning when he planned to hunt, he instead went looking for his animals. He tracked them 6 miles down the mountain, and found them waiting at the horse trailer!
I opt for my portable electric fence. I've never had them challenge that hot wire. It's also compact, and simple to put up. What I've found though is if you put 3 animals in a 50 x 100 corral with great grass, they will eat down, stomp down, roll, and crap so much the meadow grass deteriorates very fast. You'd have to move the corral twice daily. That means, you need a lot of meadow for a backcountry camp, and the time has to be taken to water them, and move the corral. I don't pack in supplemental protein pellets most of the time, as they get plenty of that the rest of the year. I also save corral areas near my tent for nighttime, so if there's any 3am drama, I'll wake up for it. In summary, your camp will be dictated by the meadow size, abundance of grass, and location of water. Plan on time taken to care for the animals.
I've also found that you just can't throw a strange pack animal into your own horses. Being herd animals, the herd leader will challenge the newcomer in establishing dominance, and you don't want this kind of drama in camp. Somebody's going to go beserk and run. I don't even know any stock owners that would rent horses to a non horse hunter. If you don't know about horses, what are you going to do about a horse starting to lose a show on a trail? Just allow it to destroy the hoof? There are far too many things that you need to know about to take care of them. A horse knows in about 10 seconds of contact whose going to be the boss, in order to respect you. Are you up for that?
My advice is to seek out a really good Drop Camp. Just make sure it's in a decent game area, as some aren't. Then, you have the best of both worlds. A pack in, and your Elk and gear packed out. When the dust has settled, it will be easier and not much more in expense. Just my opinions here!

As mentioned a drop camp may be middle ground. Renting horses/mules if AT LEAST ONE PERSON IN CAMP knows what end poops (and that person would answer all your original questions!). Alternative pack stock may be a compromise more beginner friendly if it is blind leading the blind group. Having the wrong horse in the backcountry is like being married to the wrong spouse, better to have none at all than the wrong one. Pack dogs, goats, llamas, all can fill the bill in specific situations. Rumor has it your own back can suffice but I wouldn't recommend it! If I was clueless and wanted to horse it I would do everything in my power to recruit a knowledgeable partner even if he gets to go free, as in split all his expenses between the other guys just for his pool of knowledge.

if there is a fair amount of graze, you can pack less weight with some high protein, high calorie feed like Purina Omalene. you don't want to only feed them this, but a little bit goes a long ways to supplement the graze that lacks nutrition

20 pounds per day is about what the average horse needs. That's pretty close to the 2% mentioned above given the average quarter horse type gelding goes about 1000 pounds. If there isn't grass there you need to pack it in. When you take a horse into the backcountry you are responsible for his food, water and general well-being. Good job in thinking ahead about how to do that. A hungry horse will cause himself and you trouble.

Pickets and hobbles are fine for horses trained for it, but will be trouble otherwise.

Most horses recognize and respect a hotwire, but if there isn't grass available that won't do you much good.

If you have two horses you can always tie one and let the other graze then switch them. Thier herd instinct usually prevents the loose one from wandering off.

I usually pack half of my feed needs and let them graze for the rest. Generally grass can be found someplace during the day while hunting.

I would recommend using them some while hunting. Horses that are a little tired cause you and themselves less trouble around camp.

Their herd instinct usually prevents the loose one from wandering off.

I know you said usually but it reminded me of what happened to us. We tied two horses and let two graze. The two that were supposed to be grazing broke and ran over 4 miles back to the truck.

It's always an adventure with horses involved! Everyone who has packed for awhile has similar stories. Kinda makes it fun as long as you live to tell about it. Glad it was only 4 miles.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SswimUSMC
Back