Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Puffies

Thank you ccc. This is where I am getting confused. I am a northeast hunter that tracks deer (Northern Maine). Generally I don't get bothered by the cold. I would have just gone with a Kenai jacket - far lighter than my wool jacket from the northeast. The guides and outfitters recommend the puffies and I am struggling to understand how to fit that in. You now talk about a hardshell. That is a foreign term to me. Is that a rain jacket?
The idea is definitely lighter weight layers, those old school wool clothes are great but heavy.

I go merino base layer, then a synthetic mid layer hoodie. Pretty much wear those the entire hunt.

If I’m hiking it’s just those two layers. When you stop to glass you get cold quick, esp if it’s windy. That’s when you add the puffy. If its raining the hardshell aka rain jacket goes on top of that.

There are two kinds of puffies synthetic and down. Down pack small, and are warmer for the weight, but they suck when wet, synthetic will keep you warm when wet.

A synthetic puffy is better for really wet conditions or if you want to hike in your puffy.

Ak can be cold and wet you could be spending most of the day in your Kenai, and then your down puffy would be for glassing or at camp. Its going to go over the Kenai.

Rain jacket has to go over everything, but your down compresses so you don’t have to go crazy on the size, they are usually designed with layering in mind.

Hope this is helpful.

The idea is definitely lighter weight layers, those old school wool clothes are great but heavy.

I go merino base layer, then a synthetic mid layer hoodie. Pretty much wear those the entire hunt.

If I’m hiking it’s just those two layers. When you stop to glass you get cold quick, esp if it’s windy. That’s when you add the puffy. If its raining the hardshell aka rain jacket goes on top of that.

There are two kinds of puffies synthetic and down. Down pack small, and are warmer for the weight, but they suck when wet, synthetic will keep you warm when wet.

A synthetic puffy is better for really wet conditions or if you want to hike in your puffy.

Ak can be cold and wet you could be spending most of the day in your Kenai, and then your down puffy would be for glassing or at camp. Its going to go over the Kenai.

Rain jacket has to go over everything, but your down compresses so you don’t have to go crazy on the size, they are usually designed with layering in mind.

Hope this is helpful.
This was really helpful actually so thank you. Other than the "old school" comment! I am a young buck at 54!

Look up anything with John Barklow. He has so much knowledge and experience when it comes to clothing, layering, sleep systems and backcountry survival. I know he has been on Randy's Hunt Talk podcast as well as many others.
Heard a lot of his stuff. Great wealth of knowledge

He was on the elk talk podcast talking to the guys after they nearly died of hypothermia in Alaska. Cool breakdown of what to do

Outer layer. Otherwise, you’re gonna start sweating if you move because they’re typically not breathable.

I get a lot of use out of my stone glacier puffy. I got a size large which layers well over my size large base layers and midlayers and under a Sitka dew point also in size large. Nice to wear while glassing, taking a break and eating a snack, around camp in the morning or evening and as others have mentioned, you can wear it to sleep in. Puffy pants are also really nice to have as well on some colder hunts.

I have a bag liner and sleep in all my clothes. Learned it from a military survival podcast a while back. Game changer.

Guess ive been surviving before it was cool. Even when I worked wildland I'd sleep in my clothes. Just wash the liner every couple of weeks. Oh, don't forget to change the socks.

In this order as the temps drop, winds blow or snow falls:
1) Base layer(s)
2) Mid layer (waffle knit, peloton, etc
Depending on weather, I sometimes have TWO mid layers).
3) When stopped for glassing, immobile, or just plain cold... THE PUFFY!😁
4) The final outer layer is to either block wind and/or precipitation: Out layer... Rain gear

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back